25 Ocak 2020 Cumartesi

TNT History Mini-Series: Bekir Ağa Prison - Turks in Turkish Hands/Part III

//Ed. note: Süleyman Sırrı describes his arrival at Bekir Ağa
Prison and his initial experiences, as well as the history of
its namesake.//


falaka ile ilgili görsel sonucu
                                   Falaka & Bastinido


At The Prison

When I was handed over, the police officer who accompanied me
asked for the signature of the receiving official at the prison, who
refused, saying that incoming prisoners were not numbered. The
police officer insisted, though, and with some difficulty was able to
get the official's signature.  This beribboned officer asked me harshly
whether I knew Dr. Münir and I said in response that I did know him.

When he addressed me as a 'roughneck', though, my patience expired
and I said that I rejected such an epithet, adding that "for you, merely
a beribboned officer, to insult a man of letters sent here as a guest in
the period of 'Meşrutiyet' (constitutional government) is quite
demeaning."  Nevertheless, the officer ordered his cohorts to "take
this low fellow away!"

Right away, two soldiers took me by my arms and began to turn me
around.  I screamed as loud as I could, shouting "what is this rough
treatment and insult for one defending rights and honor in this period
of 'Meşrutiyet'!  Is this what freedom is about?!"  But after absorbing
some blows, I was unable to stand so the soldiers dragged me by my
arms to the entrance to the Bekir Ağa dormitory, kicked me and threw
me inside.

mustafa kemal 1905 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
Mustafa Kemal (Atatürk) spent 3 months
in Bekir Ağa prison around the time of his 
graduation from the War Academy (1905),
before being essentially exiled to Damascus
for his first assignment as an Ottoman officer.

They sat me on a grass-filled cushion and told the other prisoners not
to speak with me, adding that if anyone dared to talk to me he would
get 100 cane blows.  The prison guards were given the same
instructions. An hour later, they summoned those they called 
‘traitor to the nation’ like 'Glasses' Mustafa and Enver Ağa 
(Sırrı’s father-in-law).   They were taken away and, upon their 
return, were dragged in, moaning with their faces bloodied and 
their feet trapped in heavy large-link chains.

In the quiet of the night, the sound of these chains among the more
than 300 prisoners, and the weak lamp that made even daytime seem
like the dead of night, filled the inmates' hearts with sorrow, fear and
terror in this dungeon. I, too, was overwhelmed with the fear that I
would get the same treatment and I was unable to sleep.  But, in any
case, it became clear that sleeping is such cramped, flea-infested
quarters would take getting used to, much as an animal would have
to.


osmanlı mahkum zincir ile ilgili görsel sonucu                       
                            Not all traditions are good.   

The History of Bekir Ağa Prison

Based on the information I acquired there, I learned that the name came
from big, stupid, illiterate officer named Bekir Ağa, who was the warden
of this place when it was a military prison.  At that time, when a soldier
was sent here for some infraction he would immediately be interrogated
and, whether guilty or not, beaten to a pulp.  Ancient methods were
employed for punishment of these 'criminals', including the 'falaka'
(a staff with a loop of rope let through two holes, by which the feet of
the prisoner are held up for the 'bastinado' - caning the soles of the feet.)
The 'falaka' was hung from the most appropriate spot in the room and
it became customary to subject those in need of punishment into it.

In fact, during prisoner inspections inmates were admonished to behave
'or else' - the 'else'  being the threat of the 'falaka' being lowered from
the ceiling.  Another custom of Bekir Ağa, who left his name to this
den of torture and horror, was to have inmates sentenced here by court
martial to undergo the 'falaka' treatment at the time of their discharge,
no matter who they were.  The message being "don't do anything that
would send you back here!"  After Bekir Ağa died, among the wardens
who followed him was Salim, who was our warden and who was so
tyrannical and brutal that he would even make one wish that Bekir Ağa
was still in charge.   

falaka bastinido ile ilgili görsel sonucu
                                  The outdoor version.

//END of PART III//




Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder