6 Mayıs 2023 Cumartesi

"Beat & Release": Judges Stick Together in Parking Dispute, in Istanbul

türkçe links to original Turkish article

(Hürriyet Newspaper, 6 May 2023)














Judge's complaint gets a collegial judgment from another judge.

In Bakırköy, Istanbul, restaurant owner Fıraz Hökenek parked his car on
29 April.  In back of his car was a Jeep belonging to Çorlu court judge
Mehmet Kalkandelen.  When Hökenek maneuvered to pull away from 
his parking spot he slightly bumped Kalkandelen's vehicle.  An argument
between the two ensued and Kalkandelen punched Hökenek in his neck
area.  In response, Hökenek head-butted Kalkandelen. (!)

Police and bystanders tried to separate the two combatants but Kalkandelen
resumed his assault.  Hökenek then kicked him to the ground.  Both of them
filed police complaints.  In his statement, Hökenek asserted that "there was
a blind spot so I bumped his vehicle slightly.  When I got out to see what
had happened he said to me 'are you blind!?'  I responded by saying 'who
are you?!'  to which he replied 'can't you see that 'judge' is written there, 
you son of a bear! You must be blind!'.  He continued to threaten me and
then he punched me in the neck.  In self-defence I head-butted him.  The
police intervened but he kept coming after me."

As for Kalkandelen, he stated that "I told him that acting like a roughneck
was unbecoming of him. He responded by saying 'are you a shepherd?! 
Don't you know how to park a car?!'  Then I said 'no I'm not a shepherd
I'm someone steeped in the law, I'm a judge!'  He kicked me to the ground
and punched me in the nose three times. If the police hadn't come he would
have killed me!"

Hökenek was taken into custody by police and brought before a judge in
the Bakırköy court at the request of the Bakırköy public prosecutor.  He was 
jailed on the charge of "threatening and intentionally wounding." (!)









Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder