13 Eylül 2018 Perşembe

TNT History Archives: Letters From a Malta Exile (1919-1921)/Part II-FINAL

//Ed. Note:  In his remaining letters from Malta, Ahmet
Ağaoğlu worries about his family's situation in Istanbul,
excoriates his British captors and anticipates his
release, making references to Turkish Nationalist
gains in Anatolia in the war against the Greeks.//

Ahmet Ağaoğlu in brief click here for a short bio.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ahmet ağaoğlu agayev ile ilgili görsel sonucu

                                                   Malta, Polverista:  9 December 1920

“My Dear Humay and Sitâre!

                Thanks to God, my health and well-being are quite good.  
You and the children are always in my prayers.  It has been rather 
cold here for a couple of days but don’t think that we need a fire or 
an overcoat.  No, if we just close the doors and the windows, that’s
 sufficient.  The newspapers that we’re getting from Europe bring 
very good news.  Of course, you must be aware of at least some of it.
  The rumors about us keep circulating.  God willing, they will come 
true.  After Hayri Bey (the former Şeyhülislam), Sudi 
(parliamentarian) and his family went to Italy.   His family, through
  Köprülüzade’s mother-in-law, sent a note to you.  But since they 
didn’t get a reply from you they couldn’t meet with you before leaving
 Istanbul.  I’m very happy that you met with Mürsel Paşa’s wife.  
I’m sure you made a return visit!  Did you receive a reply to the 
petition that was sent with her?   Is Yusuf Bey Vezirof (Azerbaijani 
Ambassador and Sitâre’s relative) today counted as a citizen of 
Azerbaijan, too?  Are you corresponding with them there?  Please 
give me news on these matters.  What’s happening with the house 
issue?  I’m obsessed with thinking about how you’re dealing with 
this in the winter months.  My poor Sitâre!   What you have gone 
through because of me. Ah! Will God ever let me live down the 
shame you must feel about me?  However much in your letters you
 say that you are feeling well, I know for certain that your headaches
 are getting worse and annoying you more and more.  I swear that  
if I was sure about your comfort and happiness I wouldn’t  ever feel
 the pains of this prisoner’s life.  The thing that particularly vexes 
and tortures me here is you!  But what can I do?  Both you and God
 know that I have suffered a calamity for which I’m blameless.  But
 this is fate.  One has to have patience and fortitude.  Perhaps there
 is something good here.  In any case, regards to all friends, 
acquaintances and I kiss all of your faces and eyes.”

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 9  December 1920
“Dear Ahmet;

Thank God I received a letter from you.  .... hanım is going to Paris 
shortly.   I talked quite a bit about you.  Let’s see what happens. Other
 than from God, there is no help for us.  Everyone is looking after 
himself.  We are concerned about Kuba (otherwise known as Karabagh,
 Azerbaijan, where Ağaoğlu, his wife and all their children, except for 
Gültekin, were all born.)  The important people have been arrested and
 many men have fled, but your brother Hüseyin Bey is well and still 
there.  Nevertheless, the situation there is very confused.  The whole 
world is on fire.  Every day Gültekin says ‘my daddy will come and 
I’ll kiss his eyes and face.”

                                                              Malta, Polverista: 9 January 1921

“My Dear Sitâre and Humay!

                I’ve received your latest letters of 9, 14, 11 and 18 December 
and am devastated!  You mean to say that you are now wretched and 
miserably destitute?!  Such a circumstance for you leaves me agitated 
day and night.  I’m suffering and in great distress because of it!  But 
what  can I do?!  I’m in such a calamitous state that God is the only 
one who can solve this.  But don’t suppose I’m thinking about myself 
at all.  The thing that’s constantly on my mind is your situation!  Now,
 though, rather than thinking, I’m burning!  And until I get an answer 
to this letter and hear that you’ve found a remedy, I will be lifeless.   
Along with this letter, I’m writing two others.  The first is to ... Bey 
to tell him that he is a lowlife and a cruel, traitorous man!  My second
 letter is for Kâzım  Nâmi Bey, the owner of Akşam newspaper, who
 is my old classmate.  His father-in-law is the director of the Emniyet
 Sandığı (credit institution that makes loans, based on collateral like 
real estate or valuables.)  As soon as you get this letter, call Kerim 
Bey and ask him to talk with Kâzım Nâmi Bey so he can try to have
 all of our land 
pawned to Emniyet Sandığı.  If this gives you five or six months of 
means, maybe by that time God will have put an end to this situation.
  My dear Sitâre!  Please don’t hold on to anything, sell whatever you 
can. I’m sure you’ve sold some things already, but sell what’s left, 
as well.   I just can’t bear to think that you and the children are 
wanting.  There must be some mistake regarding Süreyya’s (his 
daughter’s) insurance.  Show it to someone else.  In two of your last
  letters I didn’t see any writing by either Humay or Tâze hanım (his
 daughter Tezer Taşkıran)!  What does this mean?  In fact, someone
 else wrote a letter in Humay’s name.  This has me quite anxious.  
May God give you patience and forbearance .  That is my greatest 
prayer right now.  I kiss all of your eyes.”

ahmet ağaoğlu agayev ile ilgili görsel sonucu
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    (undated)

                “My Dear Sitâre and Humay!

                I’m writing this letter to you as I have my breakfast.  This 
is the first time I’m doing this because up to now I’ve always written
 letters in the evening and the other fellows are forever ribbing me, 
saying ‘again you’re busy with a petition to your wife.’  But for some
 reason, yesterday I forgot to write a letter.  Do you know what my 
dream was about last night?  I saw you standing in front of me, 
scolding me and saying ‘while the others are writing letters to their
 families, you’ve forgotten to!’   I told my friends about the dream in
 the morning and they laughed, saying ‘you seem to be under 
surveillance!  You’re better off writing letters in the evening.’  In any
 case, my health and well-being are quite good.  The weather here is 
wonderful, like Karabagh in the month of May.  The news from 
Anatolia is, of course, giving us new life and hope.  The telegrams 
write that there are celebrations in Istanbul.  You should know that it
 makes us especially happy that there is a smile on all your faces for 
the first time in two years.  The rumors about us here continue to 
swirl around.  The governor has also given us some hope.  But my 
friends and I aren’t giving the rumors much credence and importance.
  We’re not falling into false hopes.  The cruel enemy’s intentions 
toward us are quite clear.  May God help Anatolia.  Our deliverence 
can only come from there.  We pray for success and victory.  It is 
futile to expect justice and munificence from this tyrannical and 
merciless enemy.  One cannot expect a shred of humanity from these 
creatures who ignore the petitions and requests of those they have
 kept away from their homeland and their families for two years, and
 who don’t explain what we’ve been accused of!   But, God willing, 
Anatolia will crush these creatures’ heads and save us!  This is my 
only hope.  You too should also pray day and night for Anatolia’s 
success.  Regards to all friends and acquaintances.   I kiss all of your
eyes.  With my previous letter I sent photographs for Süreyya and 
Humay.  Did they get them?”

                                                         
                                                     Malta, Polverista: 23 February 1921

“My Dear Sitâre and Humay!

                I have received your letter of 7 February.   In the meantime 
I’d gotten letters from Abdurrahman and Abdüssamet (his sons), so
they  eased my anxiety and comforted me.   In fact, Abdurrahman’s 
letter was really terrific!  All of my friends read it one by one and they 
all applauded it, extending greetings to him and his siblings.  The 
young  fellow’s writing is just like he is.  When my friends approved,
I, of course, felt proud.  But I’m troubled that just at the time when the 
girls and Abdurrahman and Abdüssamet need a guide, I’m so far 
away!   I pray that God will put an end to this separation henceforth.
Last night I saw Sitâre in my dream and what a sweet dream it was!
I wanted my sleep to go on and on: I was at home, with the children
all around me.  First, Sitâre and I argued about something and then
 we began to chat amiably!  I wanted to make up with Sitâre but, as
 is her custom, she was being capricious.  In short, a frame from our
 old life.  But when I woke up and realized it had been just a dream,
 I was very sad!  In any case, peace talks have begun with us.  God 
willing,  dreams like this will come true soon.  Thank God, I’m hale
 and hearty, as you will see when I come there.  I received all the 
money you sent me a while ago and I wrote you about it.  You should
 have received those letters of mine by now.  Don’t worry about me. 
 Actually, our life here is quite monotonous but not depressing at all.
  May God grant our country and our people a bright future.  These 
pains will be forgotten.  God willing, there is a sense that things are 
going our way.  Anymore, the right side has begun to show itself.  
We just have to be patient a bit longer.  Please give all friends, 
acquaintances and cousins by best regards.  I kiss all of your eyes.”



                                                        Malta, Poverista: 28 February 1921

My Dear Sitâre and Humay!

                Yesterday I received your letters of 4 February.  
Unfortunately, they’ve begun to delay giving us our letters.  But Sitâre
 my dear, I’m hoping that the time when we will see each other again 
is approaching.  The was no result from Velit Bey’s (Velit Ebüzziya’s)
 supposed good news.  I didn’t put much hope in it anyway.  But now 
there are negotiations underway in London between our folks and the 
enemies.  This time the negotiations are being conducted on serious 
grounds and, based on the initial indications, hope is beginning to 
emerge that both the country and we will be saved.  Anatolia’s 
stouthearted and honorable efforts are about to bear fruit  and I would 
certainly prefer to be saved by my own country, rather than by the 
favor and kindness of others.  The reliable information we have 
obtained here on this matter gives us confidence.  You had sent Topçu
 Başyef’s address  but I decided not to write to him.  I don’t want to 
be grateful for no reason.  We know about, and have learned about 
everyone.  Let them enjoy themselves, let them keep on having fun!!
   It was so nice to eat the candy from Süreyya’s first success.  When
 I got the candy it was the happiest moment of my life!  I’m sure that
 our child being so serious, trustworthy and hard-working made you
 very happy, too.   May God give them all success.  Did you read 
Abdurrahman’s latest letter?  He’s writing to me like a grown man 
anymore.  His writings are serious and reflect a developed mind.  
All the fellows read the young man’s letter and they all prayed for 
him.  You should know that all here love him.  They’re all still 
amazed at the words he screamed from the rowboat as we were 
leaving for the last time (‘Yaşasın İttihaçılar!’ (Long Live the 
Union and Progress Party members)).  Please pass my thanks to
 my daughter Tâze (Tezer Taşkıran) for writing a letter to Velit Bey
 Ebüzziyazade, for thinking about me and for sending me books.  
It was so nice for everyone that my daughter Tâze hanım did this. 
 Why hasn’t Abdüssamet written to me this time?  Is he being lazy
 again?  Humay (his older sister) can’t stop writing about Gültekin’s
 (his daughter’s) good qualities!  I don’t know, is Humay just being 
nice or is it really true what’s she’s written?  In any case, it was nice
 to see.  Regards to all friends and especially to Emir and Kerim 
Beys.  Prayers for girl cousins.  I kiss the children’s eyes.”

                                                                                                                            
                                                             Malta, Polverista: 25 April 1921

“My Dear Sitâre and Humay!

                As I write this letter to you I don’t know how to describe 
what I’m feeling: I’m angry and I’m laughing.  I’m angry because it’s 
been a month since I sent you a telegram saying that I’m free. You’ve 
waited so long for me and yet I’m still here!  I’m smiling because for
 every day and every minute of the past month there has been the 
possibilty that we will leave and each day some news comes that gives
us hope.  Now, news has come from Rome that a list has been sent 
here and according  to this list 40 men will be released immediately 
and 24 more later, after the British prisoners are released (by the 
Kemalist government).  Based on one account, I’m among the 40, 
and according to another,  I’m among the other 24.  But the departure
of the 24 won’t be very far away.  Nevertheless, all these calculations
are just guesses.  No one knows anything for certain.  The one certain
thing, though, is our inexhaustible hope and the chance that each day
 a ship will come to take us away!  Just think about the anxiety we 
have while waiting and longing  to leave.  In any event, I can assure 
you that our departure is very near.  In fact, I sincerely hope that I’ll 
see you before you see this letter.  Is Yakup (his nephew) there yet?  
The rumor is that they will take us to Naples in Italy.  In that case, I 
really want to meet him in Europe.  I’ll certainly let you know as soon 
as I get to Naples and tell you the date we will depart from there.  
During this waiting time I’m not writing letters to the children because
I’m thinking that I will see them before the letters would arrive.  
In any case, regards to all friends and acquaitances.  I kiss all of your
eyes.”

//END PART II-FINAL//

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder