7 Haziran 2022 Salı

"American Dream" Formula: Mix Persistence with Truck Driving

türkçe links to original Turkish article

(Hürriyet Newspaper, 7 June 2022)

the story of a Turkish actor turned USA trucker.






















                The American Dream, with icing on top.

Can Harmanşah of Niğde began to work as a gardener after finishing 
high school and then went to Eskişehir Anadolu University to study
management.  However, campus life was foreign to Harmanşah who 
noted that "it was a jarring step for me to go from the place I grew up to
a big university city."  Finally, his girlfriend said to him "you have 
no dreams!" and left him.  

Now, though, Harmanşah is living a version of the "American Dream".
He explained that "I couldn't get along in the university setting.  I didn't 
get their jokes or have any fun with them.  I felt that because of my 
Anatolian accent I was looked down upon.  But my older sister enrolled 
me in an English course and I decided to get into the "Work And Travel" 
program for young people to work in America.  I was rejected four times 
but finally I got a job in a restaurant.  I had to ride my bike for two and a 
half hours to get to work and I lost 12 kilograms.  Again, my personality 
and my clothes didn't serve me well, so my first "Work And Travel" 
attempt ended badly."

"My dad sold his car so I could go to Spain for an exchange program in
2014 and I began to come out of my shell.  When I returned to Turkey
I set out for America again and this time I worked as an organizer and
got a master's degree at Virginia Strayer University.  In 2016, I started
a company to meet and greet people coming to America at the airport. 
I used the profits to pay off my tuition of $20,000 and decided to settle
in America."

"The COVID pandemic of 2020 brought everything to a halt and I went
bankrupt.  But I took a truck driving course, got a license and started 
working for a trucking company in Ohio.  I noticed that the number of
people interested in truck driving jobs was increasing, so with some 
friends I started a course that will begin this month.  There are 5 
instructors and 32 students in the nearly 5-week course and the tuition
is $4-$5,000.  Before February you didn't have to take a course to be a
driver but there were a lot of accidents.  The law has now changed."




 

 




Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder