5 Eylül 2026 Cumartesi

"Oscar & Release": Robert De Niro Joined an Istanbul Police Raid 31 Years Ago

türkçe links to original Turkish article

(Hürriyet Newspaper, 5 September 2026)














                     Role research, he says. Hmmm.

Veteran actor Robert De Niro confirmed the 31-year-old story of his 
participation in police raids in Istanbul in 1995. De Niro explained 
that he was doing research for a project and went on operations with 
police teams in Istanbul.

World-renowned actors Robert De Niro and Adam Scott, who star 
in the film "The Whisper Man," were guests on Cem Başak's "Before 
You Go to the Movies" YouTube channel for the interview.

During the interview, De Niro was asked if the news reports about 
him going to nightclubs with Istanbul police in 1995 and conducting 
identity checks were true.

The veteran actor replied, "I went out with them, but I didn't do any 
identity checks. I didn't really do much. I was mostly watching and 
observing. That news is true."

Robert De Niro said he was doing research at the time:

"I had a project with a writer I was working with at the time. People 
I knew, police officers, were going to raid a club. We went with them." 
Adam Scott jokingly commented, "Imagine, you're waiting at the 
door of a club and the person checking your ID is Robert De Niro."

Robert De Niro's Istanbul adventure first came to light in 2017 with 
an archival article written by journalist Burak Ersemiz.

Learning how to say "fuggedaboutit" in Turkish.



















According to Ersemiz's article, in 1995, Mehmet Başar, then head 
of the Interpol Branch, saw Robert De Niro in his office at the Istanbul 
Police Department building on Vatan Street.

It was reported that Başar had become friends with De Niro during 
his time working in the US, and that the actor had come to Istanbul 
to observe the work of the Turkish police for a film project.

Ersemiz described how De Niro went to nightclubs with Narcotics 
Branch teams, wearing a police hat and vest, and checking people's 
identities with a walkie-talkie.

Of course, De Niro has portrayed Istanbul taxi drivers for
TNT many times over the years...




Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder