27 Mayıs 2019 Pazartesi

TNT Matchbox Diary: A Turkish POW in Russian Prison Camp (1915-1918)/Part LXVII

//Ed. Note: In the oxymoron department, Fuad Bey has
serious servant problems at his Vetluga prison camp -
see bold below.//

turkish pows in russia wwı ile ilgili görsel sonucu
                               Definitely not Vetluga.


12 February 1917 Sunday
The weather is cloudy. Fortunately, it’s not so cold. As soon as I got 
up in the morning there was a noise, a tumult. Apparently, the 
servants are really leaving. Franz came from the Kazarma (main
barracks) together with his friend Joseph. They shook our hands 
when departing and left. Only Dursun remained at the house. 
They were going to take him too but we asked the Commander to 
let him stay (he’s a cook). The servants’ departure has really been 
a blow. I felt very bad. Everyone has to get their own tea in the 
morning. Everyone must do all the duties himself. We even brought 
our own lunches. 

Seven or eight fellows from Malaşova came to visit in the afternoon. 
Most of them came with the aim of having petitions written. It seems 
that by means of these petitions they want to go to other, warmer places. 
In mid-afternoon five servant-soldiers came. Two of them were 
Hungarian and three were Austrian. One of the Austrians had 
previously been a servant and helped during the change of houses. I 
played chess continually at night. We chatted and went to bed.

13 February 1917 Monday
The weather is cloudy. The cold is as it has been. The newspaper is 
full of imaginings and ideas. The problem is always about Turkey. 
The Istanbul and Bosphorus issue is always in the paper. If the
Germans don’t defend us in this peace then this will really constitute 
ingratitude to us for the favors and great sacrifices we’ve made for 
them. But if they do defend us, of course, we’ll remain friends
and allies for a long time. For the Turks’ lives and independence to 
be completely assured, Istanbul and the Bosphorus must not be 
restricted. We must work until this is so (a condition). In any event,
the Russians should give the Caucasus autonomous administration. 
Iran should be completely free and Egypt should be ours or be under 
our protection. Suez should always be ours. Iraq should remain 
completely ours. All our islands should be returned to us and we 
should get enormous war reparations from our enemies…today I 
worked on making a sketch of the house we live in. Tonight
we learned some German from Max.

14 February 1917 Wednesday
The weather is overcast, snow is falling, the wind is blowing. This 
morning Istanbullu Hakkı left here and went to Şarya station for an 
operation. Yet another regrettable incident: Zühdü and Salah had an 
argument in the afternoon. I really got mad at Salah. The problem 
arose because of a joke. Anyway, Salah is ill-mannered, immoral. 
Damn him! Revenge must be taken in any event. The day passed with 
tension. Then in the evening Salah got into an argument with Çerkes 
Mehmet. In mid-afternoon, Çerkes Mehmet and Hikmet had an 
argument. After the evening argument Salah was running his mouth, 
seemingly trying to prove  that he was right and he essentially made us
uncomfortable here in our own room. We talked with Hikmet in the 
evening a bit and I explained all the problems. He agreed. I’m really 
fed up anymore, disgusted. What a scandal! Damn trouble-makers like 
Salah! Because while Turkishness expects benefits from them, on the 
contrary it gets nothing but harm. Wherever he goes, wherever he is he 
sows the seeds of intrigue. The aim and goal of the seed is to pit 
everyone against each other. In truth, I find myself unable to find
the words to describe how low this is and how completely insensitive 
it is to what’s right. We studied German somewhat at night. Tonight 
Halis, Zühdü and I all had headaches. Halis has been suffering since 
yesterday anyway from a cold and a headache. Ah, peace! A person 
gets sick here from worry.

Cabinet Changes in Turkey

15 February 1917 Thursday
The weather is cloudy but there’s no wind. News: in Riga a German 
attack, in Turkey cabinet changes: Prime Minister Talat Paşa Bey, 
Minister of War Enver Paşa, Minister of Marine Cemal Paşa, who was
said in Russian newspapers to have been executed. We walked to the 
riverside after lunch. We learned some German from Max again. 
Today passed  with boredom. Because it’s just so boring to live a life
like this. Ah, our shortcomings in social upbringing and foundations are 
doing bad things to us. Yes, there’s only so much interaction and 
toleration that can be expected in an environment where immorality 
has passed it limit. And anyway, immorality hides everything under a 
curtain of hypocrisy. Can this be broken by some power and reality and 
truth exposed? Anyway…Turkishness needs us now. May God reform 
us. I thought that by going to a different house I would live more 
comfortably and I told this to Halis and Zühdü, for them to come to 
another house with me. Halis agreed but Zühdü didn’t. Perhaps his 
feelings are such that he wants to fight with his enemies until the end.

16 February 1917 Friday
Today is the anniversary of my captivity.Ah, a year ago today what a 
terrible time I was having. Erzurum once again under Russian boots, 
our already weak army in retreat and losing strength day by day, 
Turkishness’s misfortune rising, all are shaking my memory. The 
torments of my miserable past days  and today’s pains were jostling 
my revived existence in a terrible way. I was becoming completely  
dispirited seeing myself at such a time as this under the northern
moons. My hope was darkened. It was as if an iron door was closed in 
front of great Islam. I was thinking at this time that I’ll only find 
happiness in the bosom of black earth. But fortune has also shown  me 
this day, as well, under the burden of a great many torments. Now my 
with from God is to safely return to my homeland and to find my 
parents and brother there.  After achieving that I wish for the strength 
and fortitude to work with all my might for my homeland and 
Turkishness…the misery and calamities I’ve experienced drive me 
always toward work. But to continue depends on health…News: our 
allies are on the offensive on all fronts.  A great many Germans, 
together with officers who will go to school this year have come to 
Turkey and are building roads for lines of transport and 
communication. It is understood that this will enable the Turks to 
prepare for an offensive. The Germans have sunk 102 ships, 60 of 
them English, in eleven days. We went to the bath in Malaşova house 
in the afternoon.  We got cleaned up.  Tahir and Nuri offered us tea. 
When I returned I felt light-headed and went to bed early.

//END of PART LXVII//


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder