20 Şubat 2021 Cumartesi

"Beat & Release": With Her Blood, She Writes Hubby's Name, But He Says "I'm the Victim!"

türkçe links to original Turkish article

(Hürriyet Newspaper, 19 February 2021)















                  Victimization: What's wrong with this picture?

On 4 June, in Küçükçekmece, Istanbul, Ragıp Canan shot his wife 
of 25 years Nurtaç Canan five times in her father's home because she
wanted a divorce. After Ragıp bey fled, Nurtaç hanım, certain that she
would die, wrote a message with her own blood: "Mother and father,
I ask for your blessing. Don't be sad. Ragıp shot me. Finally, I'm free
of him."

Police captured Ragıp bey 16 days later, put him in jail and charged
him with crimes requiring a sentence of up to 39 years.  At the 
hearing in the case, Ragıp bey was given an opportunity to speak and
he said: "there is no question of unfaithfulness between my wife and I.
I just shot her to scare her.  I regret it and ask forgiveness from my 
wife, from you all and from everybody. I didn't do it intentionally.
My wife should forgive me.  I'm the victim (!) because I'm in jail.
I ask that I be released."

The case was postponed to a subsequent hearing to await a medical
report from the police forensics lab concerning Nurtaç hanım's 
injuries.  Meanwhile, Ragıp bey's lawyer asked the court to try his
client for "wounding" rather than for "attempted murder".  

Leaving the courthouse, Nurtaç hanım told reporters that "I believe
that justice will be done and he'll get the sentence he deserves. My
mother, father and my son suffered just like I did from this and he
should pay a heavy price for the tears they have shed."






























Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder