23 Şubat 2021 Salı

TNT History Archives: Ottoman Journalist's Exile on Rhodes & Arrest by Secret Police in Istanbul 20 Years Later/Part I


 





Ebüzziya Mehmet Tevfik

Mehmet Tevfik was a prolific Ottoman writer and publisher during the 
last quarter of the 19th century and until his death in 1913.  Better 
known as “Ebüzziya Tevfik”, the pseudonym he adopted to be able to 
write while in exile and imprisoned in a ruined castle of the Knights 
Hospitaller on the island of Rhodes in the mid-1870s, he was a close 
colleague and confidante of İbrahim Şinasi, Namık Kemal, Ahmet Rıza,
Ahmed Midhat and Mehmet Murad, the liberal thinkers who laid the 
foundation for  the ‘Young Turks” and the “İttihad ve Terakki Cemiyeti” 
(Committee of Union and Progress/CUP). 

In fact, Ebüzziya Tevfik was exiled to Rhodes with Ahmet Midhat by 
the regime of Sultan Abdülaziz for, among other things, their 
involvement in an incident involving Namık Kemal’s controversial play 
“Vatan Yahut Silistre”, which advocated for patriotism to the nation 
rather than to the Sultan (Namık Kemal was exiled to Cyprus at the 
same time). 

While on Rhodes, Ebüzziya Tevfik  wrote a letter to a friend about the 
grim situation he faced there, describing his distress, his prison cell 
and his pet pigeons  The English translation of that letter is Part One 
of this paper. 

After Sultan Abdülhamid II ascended to the throne in Istanbul in 1876, 
his general pardon allowed Ebüzziya Tevfik to return from Rhodes to 
Istanbul.  But shortly thereafter, because of Istanbul politics, Ebüzziya 
Tevfik was shipped off to Bosnia for a year, after which he returned to 
Istanbul and resumed his journalistic and publishing activities, not to 
mention perfecting his expertise in the Kufi (Cufic) form of Arabic 
caligraphy and producing Kufi works to adorn the Sultan’s palace 
and Istanbul mosques.

Sultan Abdülhamid II appointed Ebüzziya Tevfik to head the “Mekteb-i 
Sanayi” (School of Industry) in 1891 but after a “journal” 
(incriminating letter) about him surfaced related to a bit too much 
Westernism at his school, Ebüzziya Tevfik was made a member of the 
Council of State and after that he tried to keep a low political profile.  
Nevertheless, between 1893 and 1900, when he was exiled to Konya 
for eight years, Ebüzziya was arrested ten times.

In December 1894 he wrote a narrative about probably the first of those 
arrests, which had occurred three months earlier, and he made 12 copies 
of it, distributing these to the Prime Minister, the Minister of Public 
Security and three “Young Turks” in Paris -  Ahmet Rıza, Ali Kemal 
and Mehmed Murad.  Ebüzziya Tevfik subsequently  published the 
narrative in serial form in his newspaper Mecmua-i Ebüzziya in 1911.

Part Two (in multiple sections) here is the English translation of that 
narrative, which reflects the at times tragic, and at times comical, 
details of Abdülhamid II’s “hafiyelik” (secret police) organization 
and its operations.

In the English translations below, footnotes, words and sentences in 
single-parenthesis are Ebüzziya Tevfik’s and those in double 
parenthesis are the translator’s.

 

                  Part One – Exile on Rhodes  (1873-1876)














The island of Rhodes is the large island just off the coast 
of southwestern Turkey

Dear Friend!

For the first time, in the tenth month of my time abroad, I received your 
letter and the written works in the enclosed consignment, via the Lloyd 
agency.  Before I thank you for your generosity and the elegance with 
which you chose the contents, I want to answer the questions you posed 
in your letter.

For eleven months my world has been comprised of a room 3-meters 
wide and 4-meters long and high.  Even if my observations within these 
four walls are limited and my gossip nonexistent, the reality of my ideas 
and imaginings is boundless.  Nevertheless, I cannot keep quiet about 
how my senses have been dulled for these past eleven months.  Because 
in my 25 years of life I have seen much and become acquainted with 
many beautiful things so I am loath to have been relegated to the two 
seconds it takes my eyes to measure the confines of my room, the 
proportions of which have succeeded in stymieing my every wish. 

In particular, the lost opportunities and dearth of information have 
been dreadful.  My room is like a grave in this sparse world, making me 
feel half-dead, so I pass my time in anger and grief!  We have a saying 
to the effect that “a person can even get used to a grave” and that seems 
appropriate here.  Yet, in this transitory world, the creature we call 
human cannot really get used to anything.   But I suppose I have gotten 
used to it.  It seems to me that one of the most solid pieces of evidence 
about human stupidity must be the fact that we never stop trying to fool 
ourselves. 

Since I have not yet become able to perceive living just for the moment, 
if being “caught in the exile snare” is a harbinger of the afterlife and 
resigning oneself to it, then I understand this feeling and this perception.  
I must say, though, that I have still not gotten used to this abominable 
room and I know that as long as I am here I will never get accustomed 
to it.

“We have fallen into this world of bondage; where cruelty is suffered; 
certainly no one can be at peace here!”  But what good is considering 
the path of a poet who translates the addiction of humanity to be some 
sort of wisdom?!  It is impossible for me to really get used to this torture 
of confinement, which has even made me hate my best and most faithful 
friend of the past five years – my pen!

I opened your letter before I opened the box you sent and as I read your 
letter, the events you related of the past 11 months and your questions 
of me made me feel as though I had emerged from my grave for a couple 
of minutes to have a conversation with my best friend and that, albeit 
briefly, I had regained the freedom that was violently ripped away from 
me!  But what good is it?  I suddenly realized that even though I am 
better off than the unfortunate shackled ones beneath my room and the 
others subjected to the chain of horrific punishments here, I am only 
able to bear up by convincing myself that my calamity is some sort 
of terrible dream.  

In any event, let me provide answers to your questions one by one, 
and then I’ll relate to you the delight I felt from the things you have 
sent me!  Your first question is “how are you living?”  If I say that 
“fate has determined one’s life in this world, so I am living what I’ve 
been destined for.”, will that suffice for you as an answer?

As I said, my room is like a grave but don’t envision it to be 
underground.  The reason I call it a grave is because it’s sparse and 
silent, together with the seeming impossibility of getting into it or out 
of it.  Actually, sometimes the monstrous guard charged with 
implementing torture will come into my room but I cannot look him 
in the face.  Even though he smiles, a friendly chat is out of the question.  
I confess that this is somewhat hypocritical on my part but for some 
reason I don’t feel ashamed by it. 

I wonder why he wants to chat with me and ask how I’m doing.  Might 
he be trying to console me?  It’s difficult not to discount this possibility 
when one has certain ideas about humanity.  Yet, I know I am a human 
with a conscience so I cannot discount this possibility altogether, with 
regard to another’s disposition.  Anyway, the guard comes to my room 
a few times each day, as is his duty,  but it seems from his attitude that 
he doesn’t want to leave me in solitude.  This is sort of like hypocrisy 
fighting hypocrisy.  Because, whereas his duty is to inspect and 
scrutinize me, his demeanor is kindly!  As for me, I hate this scrutiny 
but my expression is respectful!  This is what I mean as an example of 
the contradictions.

 

With regard to my living conditions, first let me describe my quarters:
The building I’m in is on the northeast side of the island.  It is a ruined 
castle remaining from the time of the Knights Hospitaller.  There is a 
fortress tower and another tower outside the fortress.  Our castle is 
within the walls but because one side is adjacent to the fortress, the 
second wall only surrounds three sides.  The Knights Hospitaller 
“metr” lived in this castle in those times.  Today, though, nothing is 
left except for a bastion and the two circular towers at the entrance.  
Beyond the building’s ruins, there are ten underground storerooms 
made within the four walls of a support structure. 

These storerooms are cages for those in shackles! In the evening, the 
gates are closed and locked and everyone sleeps like birds perched in a 
cage.  In fact, since the toilet is located outside of these dungeons, 
rather than living quarters these are more appropriately called cages.
 
My cell is situated on the garden side of a small dungeon that was 
subsequently added to the support structure.  There is a wooden partition
 that divides the cell in two.  My room’s door opens to a hall, where 
there is an interior walking area and a window.  There are two large 
dormitories accross from my room, one of which we have made into 
a kitchen.  The other one is where the soldiers assigned to guard us 
used to stay.  Now that it’s empty I keep my pigeons there.  

So despite the fact that I  would rather not talk about my quarters, I 
have nevertheless described them to you.  With regard to your second 
question “how do you spend your time?”, if I were to say that I take
 advantage of every minute I know that would be untrue. Because, alas, 
as the time passes I cannot banish the grief from my mind and I become 
cross.  Unfortunately, when a man is deprived of his freedom he cannot 
think of anything other than this deprvivation.  Those who find fault 
with this might say “well, just call it a change-of-station and we’ll 
talk about it later!”. 

But before you criticize me for this attitude, let me explain.  I have 
been spending the last two months with those in shackles.  There is a 
particular tolerance that is peculiar to prisons but it is completely 
opposite of the tolerance we infer from that word.  In such places as 
jails, regardless of how small one’s cell is, the hope of making it more 
spacious is fraught with disappointment.  Permission is never given for  
making one’s cell even a bit more liveable.

Let me explain some more: compared to those in shackles, our situation 
is like that of a “kalebend” ((confined to the fortress)) or a “cezirebend”
((confined to the island)).  A “kalebend” cannot pass across the fortress 
walls, but the same way a “cezirebend” can pass within the walls 
whenever he wants to, we, too, can leave our dungeon with two soldiers 
and an artillery officer, but only on Fridays, and enter the prison that the
shackled ones call the “galley slave jail”.  

As soon as I get up each day I go to my pigeons, give them fresh water 
and then some food.  After this, our gendarme servant makes coffee for 
me and I smoke a cigarette to relax.  My pigeons are of the Aleppo 
“demkeş” variety and they are all bluish in color.  Seven months ago 
there was just one pair but now there are five.  They are my family and 
as the head of the family I try to do my duty toward them each morning.  
The pigeons never avoid me and, on the contrary, whenever I enter their 
domain they all come to me and, in their own language, they ask me for 
my kind attention.  Whenever I tell one of them to perch on my hand 
they comply and I pet them, feeding them with the meal in my other 
hand.  I treat them all equally so there’s not a trace of jealousy or 
competition.  They know that I care for each of them.

Let me describe their beauty: their feathers are bluish, as I have said.  
But don’t think of them as the pigeons you see around our mosques.  
The shade of blue is more toward the shining blackness of a raven.  
It is as if each fiber of their feathers has been dipped in a bath of 
silver water and then covered with a brilliant coat of paint.  Their 
bodies are larger than the biggest pigeons we are familiar with and 
they have feathered shanks.  In particular, half of their heads are 
surrounded with these extra feathers so that when you look at them 
from the rear it appears that they are wearing an elegantly sewn gown.  
Their gate is quite coquettish and the chirping coming from them in 
the morning awakens one’s senses.  

So I am busy with them the first thing each day.  Afterwards I grab 
my cigarettes and head for the interior of the dungeon.  But with each 
entry or exit there is the horrific sound of the gate clanging that rattles 
every bone in my body.  The gate is like a checkerboard made up of 
iron bars that are two or three inches in diameter, with a padlock that 
weighs more than ten kilograms.  The sliding iron bolt is two meters 
long and three inches in diameter! So you can now picture what a jail 
gate is like!  The horrific sound I referred to comes from the movement 
of the sliding bolt.  

The time to submit my mail is approaching so I will end my letter here.  
This is all that I can write this week.  “Baki dua” (( I have nothing to add 
but a prayer))

Date Fi 15 Zilkade 1293  Rhodes Prison  ((2 December 1876))


NOTE:  Dates are notoriously difficult to pinpoint with Ottoman 
documents because of the varying calendars.  Ebüzziya Tevfik’s 
“Hicri” date of 15 Zilkade 1293 above converts to the “Miladi” 
date of 2 December 1876, although he would have been back in 
Istanbul by that time, thanks to Abdülhamid II’s general pardon 
issued on 31 May 1876.   Also, based on the first sentence of  his 
letter, it appears that he wrote it about 11 months into his detention, 
which began in 1873.  In any event, this copy of  his letter was 
published in his Istanbul newspaper Mecmua Ebuzziya on 
15 Zilkade 1297 (19 October 1880).

“Ebüzziya” (‘Father of Ziya’, his eldest son) was, in fact, quite busy 
and productive with his writings and activities while on Rhodes.   
For example, he wrote articles under the name “Ebüzziya” that 
were published in the journal “Muharrir” in Istanbul, he prepared 
the “Numune-i Edebiyyat-i Osmaniyye”, a Western-style literary 
anthology, and he collaborated with Ahmet Midhat Efendi to found
a school named “Medrese-i Süleymaniyye” for Western-style 
education in Turkey.

Source for Part One: Mecmua Ebüzziya, 15 Zilkade 1297 
(19 October 1880)

 

//END of PART ONE//

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder