23 Şubat 2021 Salı

TNT History Archives: Ottoman Journalist's Exile on Rhodes & Arrest by Secret Police in Istanbul 20 Years Later/Part II

 

Part Two – Arrest, Search and Interrogation by Secret Police in 
Istanbul (1894)





















This is the first page of the first installment of a multi-part series 
about Ebüzziya Tevfik’s Fall 1894 arrest, search, imprisonment and 
interrogation by Abdülhamid II’s secret police. There were more than 
11 parts but only 11 are currently available.  The series began to be 
published in Mecmua-i Ebüzziya in August 1911 (1329, according to 
the Hicri calendar). 

Ebuzziya Tevfik wrote the original narrative in December 1894, 
although, eerily, he wrote ‘1984’, evidently by mistake but, of course, 
it’s a very meaningful date for modern-day readers, especially given 
the subject matter of his narrative.  Incidentally, the masthead at the 
top – “Mecmua Ebuzziya” - is written in the “Kufi” (Cufic) script.  
Ebuzziya Tevfik was one of the foremost masters of this script.  

                                1.Arrest and House Search


This story relates to an adventure I experienced during the time of my 
temporary residence in Aya Stefanos, in the year of the great earthquake. 
At that time, I had twelve copies of this story printed as a narrative and 
provided copies to the Prime Minister and Nazım Paşa, who was then 
the Minister of Public Security and who is currently the governor of 
Aydın, and sent copies to Ahmed Rıza, Murad and Ali Kemal in Paris, 
as well.  Since this is both the story of an adventure and a documentary 
memorandum about the situation during the former regime, I wanted 
to expand the distribution of it through my magazine.  ((1911))

Makriköy ((Bakırköy, Istanbul)) 25 December 1984 ((sic, 1894))

A Story of Detention

“The ultimate reason for a person to gather resources is to withstand 
assaults”:  Kemal

Although it seems natural for the immediate importance of an event to 
fade over time, I am ensuring that the story I am about to relate is made 
known during the course of my life.
    

It was Tuesday, the 25th of September, and that day, as is my custom, I 
left my printing office and headed for Yani’s beer house in Beyoğlu for 
lunch.  At the entrance to the ‘Tünel’, at the corner of Mevazi Street, a 
tray of ‘lakerda’ ((tunny)) caught my eye and since I was a bit tired of 
the usual European meals that I was used to having, I nevertheless 
couldn’t restrain myself from going to Yani’s, which is one of our 
country’s best restaurants.  Because this restaurant is a center for fine 
dining for the likes of me.  In fact, five or six years ago, I went there for 
the first time on the advice of Serkurena ((the Sultan’s chief intimate)) 
Hacı Ali Bey and from then on every day I was prompted to leave 
Galata and head for Beyoğlu.  I would say that whenever they make a 
better restaurant that’s when I won’t go there anymore. 
 
I wasn’t all that hungry but I was happy to be in the restaurant at noon-
time, in accordance with my routine.  In fact, its was the most lively time 
to be there because all the fellows and gals came to Beyoğlu during the 
day from their summer retreats.  Especially those of us on our own who 
had to eat out, would flock there at that time of the day.  We were 
generally famished and filled our bellies ravenously. 

But that day, the sight of the lakerda changed my mind.  Since I knew 
that there was a really good place for lakerda at the gate of the Bursa han, 
I went there.   And I was right. So after I spotted some very good lakerda, 
I bought half an okka ((about 1.4 lbs)) to take with me. I went back to my 
print shop and, with some olive oil and lemon, I had a wonderful lunch.

I had perhaps too much of the salty fish to eat and took a long nap on the 
couch in my office.  When I woke up it was a quarter to five so I had 
slept for three and a half hours.  Right away, I washed my face and raced 
to catch the five-thirty train home.  My routine was to board a boat at the 
dock by the Mehmed Ali Paşa han in order to get to the Sirkeci train 
station.

Today, as well, I passed through the door adjacent to the Aziziye police 
station and as I turned toward the water a man came up to me and asked 
“are you Ebüzziya Tevfik Bey?”

Of course, I stopped and acknowledged that it was me, asking in response 
what the man wanted.  He said he wanted to see me.  I told him I was in 
a hurry but that if he had business to discuss he could come to my print 
shop tomorrow.  He said he wanted to accompany me to my home but I 
explained that I and my family were living temporarily at Aya Stefanos 
in a house not big enough to entertain guests, adding that I was not 
inclined to bring home someone I had just met for the first time.

I was curious about how he would react to this somewhat uncourteous 
reply and looked at his face for the first time.  He had a hateful 
expression, it seemed to me.  I looked over his appearance more 
carefully.  He wore a brown overcoat, buttoned at his chest, and had a 
sparse beard sprinkled with gray in it.  His face was the opposite of 
that of a learned man, the sum of his whole.  His small black eyes 
rolled upward and around, inducing both fear and intrigue, but it was 
impossible to discern which of these was dominant.  As for his nose, 
its point descended straight down to where his puffed up, circular 
nostrils created a strange sense of proportion.  His lips were quite big 
and his mouth formed a large hole, as his lower lip drooped off below.  
When he spoke, his words betrayed his character and the shade of his 
skin, somewhat purplish, was just right for his persona.

In response to my remark, he immediately adopted an aggressive, 
haughty demeanor and identified himself as a policeman. I remained 
calm and suggested that he was assigned to search me.  Confirming 
this, we both boarded the boat and it set off.  But I had a thought at 
that moment that made me have the boatmen return to shore, telling 
the policeman that we would likely miss the train because I had to 
back to my print shop.  Together we went into the Bursa han and as 
we walked toward my shop he asked the reason for my going back.  
I explained that my office was open and all my papers out on my 
desk, and although it would be possible to examine my documents 
at home this evening, I would have to store the papers in my office, 
given that I was under police scrutiny, and should seal my office 
against the not- far-fetched possibility that someone might take the 
opportunity to  plant an incriminating document there.   

 When we reached my print shop the other fellows were still busy 
with printing work.  I closed the doors to my office and had the 
policeman put his seal on the keyhole, telling my workers that they
must not open the door to anyone, regardless of who they might be.
 
I looked at the clock and saw that we still had 15 minutes to make the 
train, but not by boat. So I summoned a horsecart and told the driver 
that we had to get to Sirkeci train station in 10 minutes, giving him a 
‘mecidiye’ (( silver coin)) for good measure.  Nine minutes later  we 
found ourselves on the steps of the train station.  Whether the 
policeman hadn’t seen me give the driver a ‘mecidiye’ or he wanted 
to inflate his expenses for taking me home in his custody, he reached 
into his pockets and offered the driver two half ‘mecidiye’ coins.  The 
driver, though, noted that I had given him the fare when we boarded 
at Galata and he tugged left on the reins to have his horses reverse 
course, snapping his whip in the process.

When we entered the station, most of the Aya Stefanos passengers 
were already there. I, however, immediately told the counterman to 
fill a glass of beer for me, as I walked toward the privies.  Meanwhile, 
the policeman was thinking about whether he should buy a ticket for 
his colleage Williams, a police ‘hafiye’ ((secret detective)).  Taking 
advantage of their discussion, I put the ‘manzume-i hezliye’ ((comical 
poems)) that I had in my pocket on one of the shelves in the privy.  
The poems weren’t something that might incriminate me but Said Bey 
had given me one of his poems and a few days ago and  Ekrem Bey 
had given me another one of Said Bey’s poems and a similar one that 
he ((Ekrem)) had written. So I had all three of them on me.  
Consequently, I took this precaution because I didn’t want to give the 
police a chance to create a problem where there wasn’t one and subject 
my friends to interrogations. 

Returning to the hall, I drank my beer.  The policeman was still trying 
to figure out the ticket matter.  The fellow Williams with him had been 
a train official up until about a year ago.  He had left that honorable 
position, which was the complete opposite of being a secret agent, and 
joined the police.  Having learned this, I was even more disgusted by 
his choice than I was at being taken to my own home in police custody.
 
I was intent on taking some revenge on Williams for making this 
transition by exposing him to his former train colleagues.  In particular, 
since I also knew that the policeman would cringe if his profession were 
announced, I went up to him and said “there’s no need for you to buy a 
ticket”, noting that his police ID card would grant him and Williams 
free passage: “just tell the conductor about your card when he asks for 
tickets.”   In response, the policeman, despite preferring to keep his 
profession secret, politely accepted my suggestion.  Just then, the 
second bell rang so we rushed to one of the first-class compartments 
that was empty.    

After a while, one of the train conductors came and as he punched my 
ticket, the policeman showed him his police pass.  Scanning the details 
on the card, the conductor gave me a knowing look, as if to say “Be 
careful! Your companion may be dressed like a normal, honorable 
person he has quite a different character!  When he finds it necessary, 
he can abandon all humane behaviors and act in a manner that would 
shame an animal.  In other words, he’s a policeman.”  In response, I 
winked to indicate that I was aware of his real profession. 

The policeman then told the conductor about Williams, whom he said 
was probably sitting in third-class, adding that “he has a mustache and 
his name is Henry. He can travel on my pass, too.”  I chimed in, saying 
that the policeman had been mistaken about the name – “The name isn’t 
Henry, it’s Williams, your notorious ex-colleague who has become a 
policeman himself.  The conductor, who had a Swiss-like, inscrutable 
bearing but who was really a freedom-lover, was amazed that someone 
with an Engish-sounding name had left railroad service to throw himself 
on the police dungheap. But I again confirmed to him that it was 
ex-railroad man Williams we were talking about. 

The horn sounded signaling that we were approaching Çatladıkapı.  
The policeman hesitated a bit and then said he had a favor to ask of me - 
that I give him whatever papers I had with me.  Responding I said to 
him: “You should have asked me before I went to the privy.  

//END of PART TWO, first section//

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder