25 Şubat 2021 Perşembe

TNT History Archives: Ottoman Journalist's Exile on Rhodes & Arrest by Secret Police in Istanbul 20 Years Later/Part 2-5

             Initial Visit to the Residence of the 
         Minister of Public Security Nazım Paşa



















Minister of Public Security Nazım Paşa

In any event, it was quite a coincidence that my conversation with this 
ambassador occurred on Sunday, the 23rd of September, and on the 
evening of Tuesday, the 25th of September, I was arrested.  During the 
train ride from Aya Stefanos to Sirkeci station I thought about what the 
ambassador had said about the lack of legal underpinnings for jailings 
such as mine.  They raided my office and my home, went through my 
belongings and took whatever they wanted and then, at midnight, 
they’re throwing me in prison like a murderer, and even leaving a guard 
at my home to restrict the freedom of my family. 

 Perhaps the policemen didn’t even know the reason why they rousted 
me but in any case they said nothing about it.  But I was intent on 
learning what had prompted my arrest and search.  Evidently, on 
Tuesday morning some spy presented a “journal” about me, but the 
matter could have been sorted out the next day legally in court.  As 
I’m heading home after work as I normally do, and not in any way 
concealing or hiding my movements, if they thought I might try to 
escape they could have surveilled my home that night to keep track 
of me until morning.  Now, though, I understood!  Probably someone 
observed my conversation with the ambassador at the “Summer Palas” 
and wrote about it.  They no doubt listened to me on the telephone, 
too, and came up with a basis to arrest me.    

So there I was, comparing Paris’s Arch du Triumph with the Düyun-ı 
Umumiye building, as our cart turned at the Nallı Mescid and into the 
road that ended at the Iranian Embassy.  Meanwhile, I was hearing the 
oddest sounds and saw a janitor, a Karahisar Turk, in front of the 
government building singing a Turkish folk tune.  If it were up to me, 
I would have scolded him for being so irreverent while on government 
duty.  But Hüseyin Hüsnü Efendi, evidently recalling his youth in 
Kandıra, was delighted to hear it. 

Five minutes later, and after turning at a few more streets, we arrived 
in front of the Minister’s residence.  The head policeman told the driver 
to wait, as he got out of the cart and entered the residence, with us 
following behind him.  The mansion was not at all the ominous place 
one might expect for the Minister of Public Security.  Rather, as I 
learned the next day, it had been built by its owner Count Nedib, a 
German, who seems to have had an esthetic touch.

We ascended the stairs and were met by a graying servant holding a 
candle.  Further up the stairs there was a eunuch trying to light a tall 
lamp, which, once lit, allowed us to see the large room we were in.
 
I had to think, what could be so important and dangerous, that they 
would come 15 kilometers out of  town to search my home and then 
wake the Minister, who had been asleep for three hours, in the 
middle of the night to report their findings?   In any case, after a 
few minutes they received the head policman, while I remained in 
the large room with Hüseyin Daim, who was an engaging young 
fellow, quite the opposite of the other Hüseyin.

Of course, I do not know what the Minister and the head policeman 
discussed, but I was able to hear the head policeman try to convince 
the Minister that their seizure of me and the prevention of the 
destruction or  the hiding of my documents had been a great feat on 
their part, not to mention the successful transfer of the said 
documents to the care of the Ministry. 

This discussion lasted about half an hour, after which the decision 
was made that I would spend the night at the Central Prison.

                  One Horrific Night at Istanbul Central Prison

Because as the head policeman left the Minister, he indicated that we 
would be going there together.  Having been a guest there 20 years 
before  ((en route to exile on Rhodes)), I was sanguine about returning 
there again.  I knew when the driver was told to wait that this would 
happen.  In any case, I expected that after leaving my home and being 
deprived of my freedom, if only temporarily, residing in the web of 
cells in the prison would not be much different than staying in a gilded 
room of the Sultan’s palace.
 
After boarding the cart again, while we should have headed past the 
Public Works Ministry to go to the Ministry of Public Security, instead 
we turned at the street of the tomb of Sultan Mahmud.  It may have 
been that for those brought to the Minister’s residence at night, the 
drivers knew that afterwards the destination would the prison, so we 
headed in the direction of Sultan Ahmed Mosque.  Yet, we were 
supposed to first go to the Ministry and check in with the Central Police 
Chief there, before going to the prison.  Perhaps the driver’s choice 
of this way to go was part of  Satan’s  plan to make me relive hateful 
memories because, sitting on the right side of the open cart, as soon as 
we passed the corner with the covered bakery, the frightful sight of  
Mahmud Nedim’s domed grave confronted me.  This was surely the 
work of the Devil!

As it turned out, the driver was wrong.  Because when we came to the 
corner where the Firuz Ağa Mosque is situated, the head policeman told 
the driver to turn toward the Ministry, where, when we arrived, the 
Central Police Chief was waiting for us on the steps and from there we 
went to the Central Prison.   

At the prison, a guard brought us inside.  Since the guesthouse portion 
had burned during the time of the late Kemal Bey, I didn’t recognize the 
new style, after the rebuilding.   Where there had been a place for the 
army band and, subsequently, for the tent-makers, the portion facing the 
square was now officers’ quarters.  The prison warden heard of our 
arrival and quickly came to greet us.  We knew  each other because we 
had grown up in the same neighborhood.  A room had been prepared for 
me and included a coffeehouse chair and a bed, along with a lamp in the 
window. 

Since I hadn’t had anything since earlier in the day, I asked for a cup of 
coffee.  I opened the bag that my son Ziya had prepared for me with my 
nightclothes and began to change my clothes.   Meanwhile, the warden 
was politely trying to learn the reason for my incarceration but I had 
nothing to tell him.  The coffee came and, wishing me a good night’s 
sleep , the warden left.  As soon as I drank my coffee I stretched out on 
the bed but it was much too short for me. 

It was now two-thirty in the morning.  The Fall season had just begun 
four days before, so the dawn would break in just three hours time. 
was quite exhausted from having been on my feet for more than nine 
hours, since five the previous evening, so as soon as I hit the bed I fell 
asleep.  At some point, though, I awoke to the pain of my skin burning.  
I looked at the clock at the head of the bed and saw that it was only 
three o’clock so I had been asleep for just 25 minutes.  A black cloud 
of fleas were scathing my skin so I got up and completely undressed. 
I knew the bed was clean because it had been brought from the warden’s 
home.  I had hung the blanket off the foot of the bed.  So if the room had 
just been cleaned where were these fleas coming from?  Evidently from 
the wooden floorboards.   I spread the blanket on top of the sheet in order 
to give myself a bit of protection from the fleas’ assault.

I took a bottle of cologne from my bag and spread it on my swollen skin, 
getting some welcome cool relief.  But shortly thereafter I was awakened 
by a rustling coming from inside the bag on top of the chair at the head 
of the bed.   This time it was rats – three of them gnawing on a bar of 
soap Ziya had put in the bag for me.  I shook the bag and they fled to a 
hole they had made in the wall near the foot of the bed.   I tried to go 
back to sleep but the fleas’ agitated jumping led to their renewed attack 
on me, making sleep impossible. 

I had learned the name of the guard earlier so I called to Mehmed Çavuş.  
I told him that I knew it was forbidden to douse the lamp but since I was 
used to sleeping in the dark and the light was attracting the fleas, I wanted 
to put the lamp outside my room.  He wasn’t all that interested, but blew 
out the lamp’s candle and left.  I resumed my effort to sleep but the rats 
took advantage of the darkness to return and surrounded my bag.  I kept 
on hitting it to scare them away but two minutes later they were back and 
more determined than before. Meahwhile, the airborne fleas resumed their 
scalding bites on my skin.  Shaking the blanket to rid it of them, I tried 
to sleep.

As if this wasn’t enough torment, the crazed cries of someone nearby, 
seemingly having been slapped onto red-hot iron, prompted me to 
summon Mehmed Çavuş again.  He told me the screamer was an insane 
person sent from some rural area who was awaiting transfer to an asylum.  
This situation led me to do some thinking about today’s prisons and 
asylums, which distracted my mind enough to let me sleep.  The next 
thing I knew there was a knock on the door and I saw that it was daytime 
and, in fact, close to noon.

//END of PART TWO, section five//

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder