24 Şubat 2021 Çarşamba

TNT History Archives: Ottoman Journalist's Exile on Rhodes & Arrest by Secret Police in Istanbul 20 Years Later/Part 2-2

 //ed. note: Ebüzziya Tevfik continues on the train 
toward Aya Stefanos in secret police custody.//

Nevertheless, I can assure you that I left nothing there of any importance. 
But I did surrender the packet of documents in my breast pocket.”  Yet, 
my words did not sit well with the policeman, whose kidney-purplish 
skin tone changed to an even darker liver-colored purple, as if he’d just 
suffered a sudden stomach ache.   Next, I untied the package containing 
the half-okka of lakerda in my hand, saying that I was bringing it home 
to my son Ziya, who loves lakerda. 

From my other pocket, I pulled out my bank checkbook and asserted 
that “this doesn’t concern you, so I see no need to hand it over to you.”   
However, the policeman assured me that I had to turn over anything 
and everything to him.  He added that in the event that the Minister 
gave the okay, then these items would be returned to me.  I wondered 
what business he would have with my financial affairs and I asked him 
whether his search mission extended to my money drawer, to which he 
responded with a sly grin, saying “don’t worry, we will return 
everything to you, including your wallet.” 

From this point on until we reached the Makriköy station, I said not 
another word to him.  Meanwhile, at every subsequent station the 
policeman furtively stuck his head out the window, seemingly unsure 
whether he wanted to be seen or not.  He was probably looking for 
some of his police colleagues.  As for me, I chain-smoked and 
worried mostly about how my son would react to this situation.  He 
wouldn’t show fright or anxiety about it, being very self-possessed by 
nature.  Still, having such an unpleasant situtation in our midst at dinner 
time at home would disturb him, even if it didn’t exacerbate his illness. 

When the train arrived at Makriköy, I stuck my head out the window 
looking for Ziya.  Not seeing him, I asked one of the teleğraf workers 
whether he was there. Yes, he said, so I asked him to send him to our 
train compartment.  At the same time, the policeman was giving orders 
to the Makriköy station police chief  to have such and such persons sent 
to the police station and to have others come back for interrogations.  
Ziya came and gestured toward the policeman sitting across from me, 
wondering who he was.  I told him he was a policeman and that he 
would be coming home with us to search through my papers.  Ziya 
was not pleased and indicated so by curling his lips disdainfully. 
warned him to speak only Turkish and not French.

Upon our arrival at Aya Stefanos, as soon as he got off the train the 
policeman was taken aback at the sudden sight of Mr. Marnich, the 
second translator of the English embassy, whom he knew.  His shock 
was not unwarranted.  Two days ago on Sunday, there had been a 
lavish dinner held at the Florya park, attended by 32 people, most of 
them foreigners.  The gathering, which was to include the lateYeni 
Dünya Dimitriyadi Efendi Celeb, who reportedly said that “even if I 
am prohibited from going, I cannot stop others from going”,  had 
been banned by the Ministry of Public Security.  He did not attend, 
but Mr. Marnich did.  A few villagers who had passed word about 
the meeting but did not attend mentioned accusations with some 
relationship to the son of the Çatalca subdivision governor.  For my 
part,  although I had only a passing acquaintance with him over the 
past two years, I defended him, knowing that no one in his family 
would partake in such a vileness. Nevertheless, since there was a 
high likelihood that one or two individuals could dare to do just 
about anything, like others, I judged that the son’s zealous endeavor 
was somehow involved.

So when Mr. Marnich saw the policeman he assumed he had come 
in connection with Sunday’s gathering.  While I was busy chatting 
with some of the women at the station, I noticed a four or five  
individuals who seemed out of place, not resembling the local populace, 
who were observing me.  I judged them to be “hafiye” ((secret police)).  
I broke off my chat with the women and headed toward these 
individuals, with the policeman following us.  Ziya was a few paces 
ahead of me so a young man in the policeman’s entourage said to Ziya 
“Hey, let’s all go together.” , in order to keep Ziya among us.  Probably, 
they were thinking that Ziya would try get to our house first and either
hide or destroy “certain important documents!”

When we entered the house, neither the women of the house nor my 
younger son were there, all of them having gone to Makriköy two days 
ago.  I was pleased about this.  At the house there was a Greek 
housekeeper and an Armenian cook.  As always, the housekeeper had 
prepared a tray of something.  My custom upon coming home is to 
undress, take a shower and don some light clothes to go for a walk so 
the housekeeper assured me that “your shower water is ready.”  With 
a chuckle I said “the shower I’ll take now will be one of sweat. You 
can remove the things you’ve prepared.”  Then I ushered the officials 
into the room. 

 I gave them the keys to my desk and cabinets.  When I went so far as 
to identify the writers and print shops of the documents they were 
searching for, they said that they weren’t sure what they were looking 
for.  Perhaps they said this because it served their purposes. 

In any event, first they opened the desk drawers.  In the first drawer 
there were quite a few articles that I had started writing but had not yet 
finished, along with some scraps of paper concerning things I’d written  
satirically or about medicine.  Also, there were some anecdotes and 
verses I had written on envelopes, a story I’d written about exile, some 
translations from famous people, small notebooks with notes about my 
recollections, about ten albums of pictures I’d drawn to take a break 
from writing,  a large envelope filled with small pictures I considered 
nice that I’d taken from magazines, my water color paints and brushes, 
together with a poem I started to write for Emile Zola that I knew 
would never see the light of day.

I said to the searchers: “As you can see, these papers constituted the 
contents of this drawer.  You can wrap them all up in newspapers and 
take them. Some of them, of course, have nothing even remotely to do
with what you’re looking for.”    In the middle drawer, though, there 
were some things that gave me pause - writings I’d been keeping for a 
quarter of a century, including even some from yesterday – that I was 
intending to read.  None of them were particularly important but how 
could I convince the searchers of this!  They would have to  read each 
one of the papers to understand this.  Yet, there was no doubt that 
regardless of how much time it took, and even though the contents of 
the papers were harmless, to be absolutely sure they would take 
them all.    

One of the searchers was named Hüseyin Hüsnü and the other one was 
Hüseyin Daim.   They didn’t trust each other but, beyond that, they were 
even ready accuse one another, as such search officials are wont to do.  
So when one of them would discard a paper he considered unimportant, 
the other one would drop the paper he was holding in his own hand and 
rush to grab the discarded one.

 As my son and I watched this, we could help but laugh.  And then there 
was the former train conductor Williams, whose new name was Henry!  
He would observe them and, without letting them know, he would roll 
his eyes and make a face to express his disdain for their stupidity.  After  
we noticed Henry doing this a couple of times, my son said to me in 
French “which side is this guy on?!”, prompting both of us to have a 
good chuckle.   

In any event, they took  all the items in this middle drawer, even though 
there was nothing of value to them.  Then they opened the third drawer, 
which was filled with drawings.  They rummaged through them all and 
left them there.  Having finished with the desk drawers, the searchers 
turned to the cabinets to the right of the desk.  There were four of them 
and in the first there were envelopes containing some letters and  my 
Cufic and French ‘enisyal’. They examined them and moved on to the 
next three, which contained one or two thousand pages of examples of 
the most beautiful pictures from the German press, which I had collected 
since the first day I opened my own print shop and which I hoped to one 
day arrange in albums.  Since I was loath to have them mishandled, as 
much as a miser trembling at the thought of strangers looking through 
his books, I showed them each one by my own hand. 

Nevertheless, I was unable to prevent them from taking them all because 
the papers were European.  I scolded them for not having brought 
someone with them who was acquainted with English, French and 
German and who could have explained the papers to them.  But 
Hüseyin Hüsnü  assured me that they would return the papers to me 
undamaged.   I realized that arguing with this dolt would be like asking 
a camel to jump over a trench so, in the end, I said rather harshly 
“Do whatever you want!”

 I had the housekeeper prepare a tray.  Meanwhile, Hüseyin Hüsnü 
was saying to Henry “why don’t you help us a bit, otherwise we’ll miss 
the eight-thirty train.”  Evidently, he didn’t know that the eight-thirty 
call to prayer had come and gone. On the way here he had heard that 
the last train from Aya Stefanos to Istanbul was the eight-thirty, but he 
didn’t realize that when he spoke it was already past nine o’clock.  
Nevertheless, Hüseyin Hüsnü was fixated on the eight-thirty.  But 
his request for help from Henry didn’t seem to indicate that he wanted 
help examing the papers or that he wanted Henry to comment on the 
contents. Rather, he just seemed to be overwhelmed by his task.

Now the time came for them to look through the cabinet on the left, 
containing some photographs and about 1,000 pictures I’d had made 
in connection with a piece I was writing about the travels of famous 
people.  Also in this cabinet were 700 pieces of paper and some 
22,000 postage stamps that I had been collecting since 1863, along 
with Cufic script caligraphy samples I’d done over the past 12 years.  
The thought of them taking these things prompted my son to say 
“How foolish would it be for them to take these!”  Hüseyin Hüsnü, 
as if to display the charm I described earlier, then said spitefully to 
Ziya “Hey kid! You’re going to tell us what to do?!  We know the 
importance of these photographs and stamps.   You two think we 
don’t know anything.”

//END of  PART TWO, section two//

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder