28 Mart 2021 Pazar

Pakistani Singer Reunited with His Turkish Mother Years Later

türkçe links to original Turkish article

(Milliyet Newspaper, 28 March 2021)




















Pakistani vocal artist Syed Yörgüç Tipu Sharif came into the world in
1978 as the son of a Pakistani pilot Syed Mushtaq Sharif and a Turkish 
model named Hamret Tuğberk.  Due to health issues, his mother 
returned to Turkey when Syed was just 6 months-old.  His father would 
not allow Hamret hanım to take Syed with her to Turkey and she was
never able to return to Pakistan.

Up until the age of nine, Syed called his father's sister "mom". But when
his aunt mentioned his real mother, Syed vowed to find her someday.  
At the age of 28 (2006), Syed applied to the Turkish consulate for a visa 
to attend a music festival in Turkey and learned from the officials there 
that his mother had been looking for him for years.  When he saw the
letters and gifts she had sent to him at the consulate he was overwhelmed. 

When he finally met his mother he said that he "hugged her and cried
for a long, long time.  We were able to spend 12 years wonderful years 
together but I lost her in 2019.  My mother never married. She was born
in Fethiye and lived until the age of 73 in Nişantaşı, Istanbul in a nice
apartment with a balcony and view of the Bosphorus.  We used to sit
on the balcony and sing songs."

























"My mother battled cancer for two years and beat it, but her body could
not withstand the damage done to it by the treatment.  My uncles 
(Hamret hanım's brothers) and I tried in vain to save her.  While I was
in Pakistan for a visit, I was informed that my mother was gravely ill.
So I bought a ticket but she died while I was on the flight.  
Unfortunately, I couldn't see her one last time.  I went to her apartment,
which was engulfed in silence, except for the sounds made by her 22 cats.  
She was quite the animal-lover and so am I."

At the age of 31, Syed composed a song in Urdu for his mother.  He added
that "I'm learning Turkish in Pakistan right now and I want to sing Turkish
songs.  When I marry and if I have a daughter I'll name her for my mother.
Yesterday I went to my mother's apartment in Nişantaşı.  Maybe I'll get a
flat nearby someday."








Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder