10 Ekim 2020 Cumartesi

COVID Prevention: Smother Infected Mother-in-Law

türkçe links to original Turkish article

(Hürriyet Newspaper, 10 October 2020)












                        "Take my mother-in-law...please!"


In Antalya, Iraz M. (83) was hospitalized with a COVID diagnosis and
her son-in-law Hasan B. (51) was in the hospital with her as her 
'refakatçi' (person, usually a relative, accompanying a patient).  
However (!), Hasan bey was concerned that he might catch the virus
from his mother-in-law so he twice tried to smother her with a pillow.
On his second try, Hasan bey was caught on video taken by a hospital
security guard. (!) He now faces a 20-year jail term for attempted 
murder.

The incident occurred on 16 September at around 9 o'clock at night
in the 'Pandemic-4' section of Antalya Training & Research Hospital.
Hasan bey, who is a farmer and 55% sight-impaired, has been looking
after his mother-in-law Iraz hanım for 15 years.  A month ago he sent
her to his daughter's home, where hot water was spilled on Iraz hanım, 
sending her to the hospital. 

When Hasan B. went to see Iraz hanım at the hospital he learned that
she had been diagnosed with COVID so he stayed with her as the
'refakatçi' but his fear of catching COVID  from Iraz hanım reached
alarming proportions.  When a doctor discerned that Hasan bey had
tried to smother his mother-in-law he banished him from the room and
alerted security.  Nevertheless, Hasan bey snuck back into the room
and was caught on camera by the security guard smothering Iraz 
hanım. (!)
















Hasan bey left this damning clue behind.

Hasan bey was expelled from the hospital and taken into custody the
next day at his home.  He has been charged with attempted murder.
In his own defense, Hasan bey explained that "I've been looking after
my mother-in-law for 15 years and my wife has been sick for 6-7
years so I'm really the only one taking care of her.  On the day my
mother-in-law was diagnosed with COVID, I told the doctor on the
phone that I didn't want to be her 'refakatçi' at the hospital." 

"As a result, he said he would write prescriptions and send her home 
with me.  I countered that I couldn't look after her at home but 
suddenly the phone line was cut.  My mother-in-law was lying naked
in the bed and continuously coughing so to protect myself I put the 
sheet above her forehead but I didn't put the pillow on her face - I
put it toward the top of her head.  Then I got myself a COVID test
and went home."

Shortly after, Iraz hanım died from COVID.  Hasan bey's trial will
begin in the coming days.







 






1 yorum: