14 Mart 2023 Salı

"Beat & Release": Giant of a Man, Very Much Alive, Listed as "Deceased in Earthquake"

türkçe links to original Turkish article

(Hürriyet Newspaper, 14 March 2023)









                         Not just alive, larger than life.

Anesthesia technicianYusuf Ökten was living in Hatay's Samandağ 
district when the earthquake struck on 6 February.  Both Ökten and his 
family survived, with their house remaining intact, too.  So, no one with 
the surname "Ökten" died in the earthquake in Hatay.  

A month after the earthquake, Yusuf Ökten went to see his fiancé in Muğla's
Ortaca district but when he tried to get a prescription filled at a pharmacy,
the Turkish government's ID system showed him as being "deceased on 
6 February" (!).   Ökten promptly went to the Registry of Births office and
got the same "deceased" result. He then filed a petition with the Ortaca
public prosecutor, proving that he was very much alive, and the prosecutor
wrote to his counterpart in Hatay asking that the error be corrected. 

Ökten lamented that "I went into the pharmacy to get medicines and gave
my ID number. The pharmacist checked the system and said to me 'sir,
you're dead' (!) and I got the same result when I checked with the Registry 
of Births office, which had the cause of my death listed as the earthquake. 
I couldn't get into the "e-devlet" (Turkish governmental records system) 
and my insurance was canceled.  I got into "e-devlet" with my father's
number and it showed his child, me, as having died on 6 February 2023."

"According to e-devlet, I've been dead for a month.  Now I'm gathering 
documents to prove I'm alive.  I'm supposed to get married soon but I 
can't until this is straightened out.  This mess has got to be fixed."




Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder