7 Mart 2023 Salı

"Beat & Release": Antakya Antique Shop Owner Uses Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" to Urge Neighbors Back

türkçe links to original Turkish article

(Hürriyet Newspaper, 6 March 2023)

wish you were here















             Get back to where you once belonged!



Serkan Sincan was noticed amid the rubble and destruction in Antakya
listening to Pink Floyd's "Wish you were here" song.  His antique shop,
which he opened five years ago, is one of the few buildings standing on
Kurtuluş Avenue, formerly one of Antakya's busiest streets.  Despite no
customers, Sincan's shop is open in the 150-year-old building and he 
has no intention of leaving. 

Sincan explained that "on the third day after the earthquake I came to 
take a look at my shop.  As I approached and saw the destruction I was
sure that my shop had collapsed too but it was still standing somehow.
For the past ten days, I've been trying to reopen my shop.  I won't leave
Hatay stranded by itself.  I have a cassette collection and one day I 
played  Pink Floyd's "Wish you were here" song and the video was 
posted on social media."

























"So, to those who have left Antakya let me say that I lived in Alanya for 
a while but it seemed more like "Yalanya" (a lie, in the sense that he 
should have been in his hometown of Antakya rather than in Alanya)
so I came back and I encourage others who have left to come back,
even if they have to live in tents.  It's almost spring and we're getting
lots of aid so no one will go hungry.  Don't abandon your hometown!"

It was ironic that this antique shop should survive among all the newer
buildings.  Sincan noted that he has lots of old photographs in his shop
and will set up a spot where people can look through them to see if 
they are in the photos.




















                       He took the long way home...

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder