18 Mart 2023 Cumartesi

"Beat & Release": He Threw Wife and Daughter Out on Earthquake Night; He Died and They Survived, in Malatya

türkçe links to original Turkish article

(Hürriyet Newspaper, 18 March 2023)













                       "Oh! olsun." (serves him right).

In Malatya, Zeki Tuğ (39) and Canan Tuğ (38) lived together for a while 
and married three years ago but problems began to arise.  Canan hanım 
fıled for divorce and together with their daughter Ömür (3) she sought 
refuge at women's shelters in Mersin and Hakkari.  She returned to 
Malatya to talk with her husband but he chased her and Ömür away from 
their house at 2 o'clock in the morning on 6 February.  The earthquake 
struck two hours later. 

Without anywhere else to go, Canan hanım and Ömür went to a nearby
park to spend the remainder of the night.  Consequently, when the 
earthquake occurred they were out in the open, whereas Zeki bey was
crushed when the apartment building collapsed, with his body being 
recovered three days later.  Canan went to Diyarbakır to live in an
AFAD (Turkish search & rescue) tent and only learned of Zeki bey's
death on 10 March, from her husband's sister.


  














                        Home is where the wash dries. 

Canan hanım explained that "we couldn't get along and filed for divorce.
The night of the earthquake he said to me 'take your daughter wherever
you want, do whatever you want.' So on that cold and rainy night we 
went to the park. Two hours later the earthquake occurred.  We had no
place to go but we made it to the Diyarbakır bus terminal and stayed 
there for a night.  Then I called AFAD in Ankara and they had me talk 
with the Diyarbakır governorate, after which I was settled into this tent. 
I'd gone to women's shelters previously because of our arguments."

"I learned from my sister-in-law that my husband died in the collapse of
the building.  Of course, I didn't want to believe this.  I called my lawyer
and he told me to go to the police station, where they confirmed Zeki's
death.  I cried quite a bit at this news.  My daughter asked me why I was
crying and I told her some dust had gotten into my eyes.  I'm in a good
place now and I'm grateful to everyone who helped me."





 

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder