30 Temmuz 2020 Perşembe

TNT History Archives: Greek Occupation Spreads; Turks Resist (June-July 1919)/Part Two/FINAL

//Ed. note: Greek forces occupied Manisa on 
26 May 1919, so the conversation below between
the English representative and the Ottoman Army
61st Division Commander in Balıkesir about
Turkish resistance forces probably occurred 
soon thereafter.  In any event, the Greeks
occupied Manisa until  September 1922.//

           At the Ottoman Army War College in 1901- 
           Kâzım (Özalp) and Mustafa Kemal (Atatürk) are 
           seated next to each other on the left.


Conversation (undated) between 61st Division Commander Colonel 
Kâzım (Özalp) and English representative Mr. Hadkinson in Balıkesir:

Mr. Hadkınstone: At the request of the English Admiral (Calthorpe), 
I was sent to Soma with regard to (Turkish) militia forces that, 
based on intelligence, are gathering in the Bandırma and Balıkesir
area to re-take Manisa.  They should absolutely be dissuaded from
engaging in such an initiative because such an action would redound
badly against the Turks.  I submit that the Greeks would use this as
a pretext to expand their occupation.

With this aim in mind, I have been directed to meet with individuals
in Soma who have influence over the militia forces and provide them 
with the necessary advice.  I request that you put me in touch with 
these chiefs.  It is understood that these militias have a basic 
organization and in order to prevent them from aggressive actions you
(Ottoman Army) must take every measure to stop them in the name
of your nation's happiness. 


Colonel Kâzım: Yes, there are rumors that militia forces are active in
many places.  But since I have no contact with them, I don't know 
who their leaders are.  Most of the chiefs were officers in the War
(World War I) or they are young intellectuals. It is said that these are 
the ones who are organizing the tactical operations.   

But as you can see for yourself, none of these people are in Soma
nor are they with my soldiers.  The reason for this is that I have not
sought them out nor have I invited them to come and see me.  
Nevertheless, in accordance with an order I have received from my
(Ottoman) government, I have been tasked to find them and give 
them some advice.  

Yet, every villager has learned about the Wilson Principles - "people 
will choose their own government" - and since the populace has a deep 
hatred of the Greeks, I doubt very much that any advice I give to the 
militias will have any effect.  I am not in a position to roam the 
villages to find these militia chiefs and give them advice because I
don't personally know the people in this region.  In addition, since I
am faced with an uncertain situation, I cannot be away from my 
troops that are positioned very near to the Greeks.

If you are determined to meet with these militia forces chiefs, come
back here from Izmir a few days from now after first sending me a 
telegram and I will have these men sought out and try to arrange for 
you to meet with them.  

Mr. Hadinstone: Very well then, if the Admiral wants me to hold 
discussions with them come hell or high water, then I will return.
But there is no doubt that there is one particular leader of them,
probably a 'paşa' (general) or some great man of stature.  Based on
a report from our English officers, significant donations are being
collected in Bandırma, Balıkesir and other places.  The militia forces
are marching toward Manisa from every direction.  There must be
one person in charge who is directing this operation. 

Colonel Kâzım: I don't know any such leader and have not heard
of him either.

      Train routes from Izmir to the north and east.

//END of PART TWO/FINAL//



Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder