19 Kasım 2018 Pazartesi

Hitchhiking Guide for the Lady Traveler


türkçe links to original Turkish article

(Milliyet Newspaper, 19 November 2018)

Otostopla 36 ülke 81 şehir gezdi
        You'll need more than just your thumb.

Güntülü Yalçın (26) has hitchhiked for 9 years and visited
36 countries and 81 cities, staying mostly in a tent.  Güntülü hanım
explained that "I'm not scared of hitchhiking and staying in nature.
The real danger is in cities, where at any moment you can either be
killed or raped. I recommend to my female friends that they should
bravely set out on the road in the name of free women of a free country.

Güntülü hanım's wanderlust began when she was a scout.  She used to
make long-distance trips with her mother and made her first solo
journey at age 17.  While studying in the Black Sea region, Güntülü
hanım went to the nearby mountain pastures and then began
hitchhiking to Turkey's other provinces.  She took a break from her
studies and has so far seen 36 countries and 81 cities.

With regard to hitchhiking as a woman, Güntülü hanım has a few
tips: "when I get a ride I look at the car's plates and model.  Then, if
something untoward happens, I let my friends know over the internet
where I am.  I always have a knife and pepper spray with me.  But
so far I haven't had to use them.  When you talk to a prospective
driver, if you don't feel positive energy don't get in the car."


                    Fueled by positive energy.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder