2 Kasım 2018 Cuma

TNT History Mini-Series: Selahattin's Dairy (1933-1934)/ Part I

//Ed. Note: A young man from Tokat named 
Selahattin, 18 or 19-years old, kept a diary during 
the closing months of his last year of high school 
in Sivas (1933), his time at home in Tokat and 
his first year at Istanbul University's medical 
school (1934). 

The diary contains fascinating glimpses of life
in central Anatolia and Istanbul at that time. 
Selahattin's train ride to Istanbul and his return
on a Black Sea ferry are both equally interesting
and exciting, especially for a first-time traveler
like Selahattin.  

The main theme of the diary, though, is the young
man's unrequited love for a beautiful girl named 
Cemile, whom he pursues relentlessly but never 
actually talks to. (!)

Herewith, TNT presents Selahattin's Diary, as 
translated to English from the original Ottoman.//

----------------------------------------------------------------



















             Selahattin's diary


The Diary of Selahattin of Tokat (1933-1934)

Wednesday, 1 March 1933
Nothing of importance.

Thursday, 2 March 1933
I went to the bath in the morning.  We stayed at the coffee 
house until noon.  Şemsi, Namık and I played ‘bum’.  
After lunch we went to the movies: Monte Carlo was under
a bomb attack.  The film was quite good but since we don’t
know French we couldn’t understand anything.  I wrote 
letters to my father and Hamdi.

Friday, 4 March 1933
The weather was cloudy in the morning, with a very cold 
wind blowing.  With great difficulty, we made it to the 
coffee house.  For the first time, we turned a ?göl?.  In the
afternoon we went to the cinema but we couldn’t find any 
empty seats.  We had to stand on the side.  She was next to 
the heater.  Although I kept looking at her she only looked
at me twice.

Saturday, 5 March 1933
I went to Ziraat Bank to get some money and then we 
played ‘bum’ at the coffee house until evening.

Sunday, 5 March 1933
I got permission to go out in the afternoon for a shave, 
together with Namık.  We played games at the coffee house 
until evening.  The Principal, Fuad Bey, Hazım Bey and an 
intern came for a second inspection in the evening.  They 
put us all off to one side and searched our drawers.  They
only found a ‘joker’ in Şemsettin’s drawer.  We were very
glad to have dodged a major bullet.  Nevertheless, since 
we haven’t fully escaped the administration’s scrutiny 
we’re still pretty worried.

They didn’t notice during the second inspection that Kemal, 
Fuad and Şemsi had just come from the coffee house.

Monday, 6 March 1933
Despite yesterday’s scare, we went back to the coffee house 
this afternoon.  We played ‘bum’ and I won at poker.  I was 
quite unnerved when we ran into our physics teacher on the 
way back to school in the evening.

Tuesday, 7 March 1933
For the first time in a week, we got in trouble.  In the 
morning  we asked for permission to go to the bath but 
because Selim had gone to the bath without permission 
yesterday we were refused.  I started to read ‘Calıkkuşu’ 
for the second time and  I really like it.

Wednesday, 8 March 1933
I finished ‘Çalıkkuşu’.  I got a letter from my father but the
contents were quite unnerving so to avoid any further 
distress I ripped it up. Today the mathematics teacher 
didn’t show up for two classes.   In the first one attendance 
wasn’t taken and the other one was canceled.  After the 
last class, we played ‘harab’ at the coffee house.  I won.  
When we went back to school attendance was taken.  In 
order to have our names erased, I went to see Fuad Bey 
with Namık. After having a laugh at our expense, Fuad 
Bey scolded us for coming without a shave and he 
wondered whether we had a good excuse for coming late 
or were we just reverting to our old bad habits.  We were
really quite upset by this.

Thursday, 9 March 1933
We got permission in the morning to go to the bath.  After 
playing ‘bum’ at the coffee house for a while, we got a 
shave.  In the evening we went to the movies and saw 
‘High Time’.  I liked the girl singer a lot.

sivas kongresi ile ilgili görsel sonucu
Mustafa Kemal (Atatürk), seated center, and
delegates of the Congress of Sivas in early 
September 1919.  The building pictured is 
Selahattin's high school, where the congress 
was held.

Friday, 10 March 1933
The weather was quite nice today.  We strolled around a bit
after lunch.  Namık told Şemsi to come to the Girls 
Teachers High School, where his older sister is.  A girl lost
her balance and laughed as I saw her coming toward me.  
There was lots of laughing at Namık’s hijinks but we were 
all quite shy with the girls.  After quite a bit of laughing we
went to the movies.  My girl, her sister and a friend were 
sitting by the heater. The usher let us sit by them.  With 
great excitement, I looked at her lovely face, and looked 
again.  When her treacherous eyes that have captured me 
so met mine, I had to grab Namık’s arm for support.  After
this incident, I got the idea to pursue her again.  I swore to
Namık in class that from now on I would take advantage 
of the good weather.

Saturday, 11 March 1933
The weather was cloudy.  After the last class, we went for 
a stroll toward Bezirci.  Going and coming I saw her next 
to the flower pot at her house, looking toward the street. 


Sunday, 12 March 1933
The weather was terrible.  We went to the coffee house in 
the afternoon.  With difficulty, we came back to school.

Monday, 13 March 1933
The weather was bad again.  In the afternoon we went 
to the coffee house. 

Tuesday, 14 March 1933
The snow at night continued till morning.  Since I wasn’t 
able to sleep during the night I didn’t want to get up in the 
morning.  Namık and I didn’t get up all day.  During his 
rounds in the dormitory, the geography teacher at first 
didn’t  notice Namık hiding in his bed.  But then he did.  I 
intervened to say that Namık might be going to ‘Mülkiye’
(Istanbul University school for civil servants) and Namık 
said they were eager to have him come.  I said some more
nice things and we had a good laugh.  I read ‘?Akipiniye?’.

Wednesday, 15  March 1933
Again we couldn’t get up in the morning.  We were 
disappointed that there was snow everywhere.  İbrahim 
was sick in the dormitory. When the doctor came to 
examine him Namık and I ducked out so the doctor 
wouldn’t see us.

I wrote a letter to my father about my dire situation.  Let’s
see if I get a response.  I also asked for money.  We got 
dressed in the afternoon and got permission to go to the 
coffee house.

sivas haritası ile ilgili görsel sonucu



Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder