11 Kasım 2018 Pazar

TNT History Mini-Series: Selahattin's Diary (1933-1934)/Part XIV

//Ed. Note: Selahattin has an adventurous return
trip from Istanbul to Tokat, first by ferry to 
Samsun and then by car to Tokat.  Along the way
he wonders whether he'll see Cemile again in 
Tokat but when he arrives he learns she's in Sivas.

Later in July, Cemile returns to Tokat and 
Selahattin sees her but still never speaks to her.//


kara deniz vapuru 1930 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
Probably similar to the "Dumlupınar", which took
Selahattin to Samsun from Istanbul.

Sunday, 8 July 1934
I’ll leave for Tokat this evening.  In the afternoon Namık
and I said our farewells.  At 8 in the evening, we 
departed, as Namık and Şemsi wave their handkerchiefs 
from the dock.  Our place was in the very front.  With 
our shirts off, we stretched out on the chaise longues.  The
weather is fine and clear and not much of a wind to chill.

I’m viewing the Bosphorus filled with stars.  We 
encounter rowboats from time to time.  Probably, they
contain couples lost in love and sharing kisses.  Their 
conversations are made up of whispers.  After about two
hours we were met by the fierce, cold wind of the Black
Sea.  Last night I couldn’t  sleep so for that reason my 
eyelids began to close.  At first, Tevfik and I wanted to 
sleep on the chaise longues but when we got cold we 
headed for our beds. 


Monday, 9 July 1934
When I awoke in the morning I saw that it was 6 o’clock.
The rising sun warmed me right up.  I stretched out on 
the chaise longue and began to read “Son Arzu”.  We were
quite close to the shore.  The sea was a bit rough.  For this
reason, the Dumlupınar was rocking back and forth a bit. 
At 11 o’clock we reached Zonguldak and the shrewd 
grocers began to surround our ship.  We bought simit
and plums and began to eat them.  After 5 hours, the 
ship departed again.

The wind picked up and we’re rocking like a swing.  My
head spun and I vomited everything in my stomach.  My
head aches and I can’t stand up.  I was in this condition
till evening.  The important event of today was our 
getting wet from the rain and our drying in the rising sun.


Tuesday, 10 July 1934
When dawn broke it was raining.  We got very wet but 
with the rising sun an hour later, our clothes dried and we
were sweating.  We reached İnebolu toward noon.  The 
attack of the shrewd grocers here was even beyond that 
of the Zonguldak grocers.  Since I couldn’t even lift my 
head, I didn’t buy anything.  I was only able to look a bit. 
Not very pleasant.

Zonguldak is a nice place.  In fact, the lovely wooden 
houses remind one of the Bosphorus.  We left İnebolu
after 2 hours and reached Ayancık toward evening.  There
are lumber factories here.  The tree stumps are transported
through the air.  It’s not a bad place.

The weather began to improve and so did my headache.  So
I began to enjoy the view from the chaise longue.  As we
passed the shores of Sinop, the sun set.  After Tevfik and I 
talked for an hour we went to bed.  I’ll be in Tokat in a day 
or two.  Perhaps I’ll see her.


Wednesday, 11 July 1934
I opened my eyes at 3 o’clock and the sky was turning 
red.  Samsun came into view.  The city’s outline grew and
became more distinct.  The weather was very nice.  Tevfik
said that he would tour around Samsun for a couple of 
hours.   At four thirty our ship anchored and paying 60 kuruş 
we rode in a motorboat to the pier.  At first I was planning to 
take the train but then when I ran into some people 
from Tokat at the inn, I decided to go by automobile.  After 
Tevfik and I drank some milk, we played backgammon and 
cards.  At noon he went to the ferry and I went to the 
automobile.  At 1 o’clock it rained cats and dogs.  So 
poor Tevfik’s ordeal has yet to end.  At 2 o’clock the 
automobile began to climb Samsun hill.  Samsun didn’t 
really appeal to me, probaby because I’ve been in Istanbul 
for a year.  The road continued on through woods.  I 
suppose the villagers here are happy.  At night we reached
Amasya.  The city has been built with great difficulty 
amid mountains.  The big rocks on one side seem ready to
fall, and there are 3 ?radyum? on the main road for lighting.
Tevfik and I had eaten döner kebap during the day and here 
I  had some soup and meat with beans. After an hour’s rest, 
the automobile was back on the road.  The weather is 
cold. Even though I’m in the driver’s compartment, I’m 
shivering.  My sleepiness overwhelmed me, though, and I
 closed my eyes.

 bandırma vapuru rotası ile ilgili görsel sonucu
Selahattin's voyage to Samsun was essentially the 
same as Atatürk's in May 1919 (loops along the 
Black Sea coast.)


Thursday, 12 July 1934      
I opened my eyes at 3 o’clock.  We had passed Turhal 
and were heading through the green Tokat plain.  The road
was quite pretty, as the sun was getting ready to rise.  The 
rain of three days ago made the meadows even greener.  
Finally, we began to see houses built with lime.  As we 
passed the İmam orchards I saw a few hard-working grocers
who had sacrificed their sleep to make some sales.

At four thirty the automobile reached the city.  We 
passed along the avenues and I looked at the square, which 
was filled with soil.  Evidently, this will be “Meydan Park”.
Most of the surrounding shops on the road had been torn 
down.  Two buildings whose foundations were layed on 
Republic Holiday were almost finished.  I came home, 
shaved my 4-day-old beard, scrubbed up and started to 
walk around, looking for her.  Although I looked 
everywhere I couldn’t find her.

At 7 o’clock I saw my father riding the donkey as he 
crossed the bridge.  I went and kissed his hand.  From afar,
he didn’t recognize me but he smiled as I came closer.  
After leaving the donkey at home, my father and I headed
toward the square.  That day until evening I greeted 
friends who welcomed my with deep thanks.  But I still 
didn’t see her.  That day Enver and I played backgammon 
at the lodge.  I won.

In the evening I went to the orchard and kissed my mother’s
hand.  I squeezed my older sister’s hands tightly.  That 
evening my nephew and I made a lot of noise.

 amasya 1930 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
                                    Amasya

Saturday, 14 July 1934
I stayed at the orchard yesterday.  The weather was rather 
hot.  I didn’t take off my night clothes until the evening and 
filled my stomach with fruit like pears and mulberries.  I 
came to Tokat today in the morning and helped my father 
quite a bit.  Again today I didn’t see her.  I ran into 
Münevver on the road.  In the evening I went to the park 
with my father.  There were three girls and three guys 
singing and playing music very nicely.


Sunday, 15 July 1934
I wrote a letter to Şemsi and mailed it.  We went to the 
park again in the evening.  While I was chatting with Ahmed
I asked about Cemile.  I found out that she failed 9 classes 
and is in Sivas now.  She has proved her laziness.  I wonder
 when she’ll come.  When I chatted with Enver on 
Thursday he told me that most of the Tokat students had 
been either forced to do make-ups or were left back.  
There are 12 students of the (Sivas) Boys Teachers High 
School who didn’t graduate and have to do make-ups.  
Münevver graduated from Konya but Zehra had to do 
make-ups at Kargı.


Monday, 16 July 1934
I sent a letter to Namık at his Pertek (Tunceli) address.  The 
weather is hot.  There’s a lot of work to do in the office.  I 
spent half the day in front of the machine.


Thursday, 19 July 1934
These days, including today, have been extremely hot.  At 
night I’m sweating heavily in bed.  Today my father went to
Turhal to meet Şükrü Bey.  While I was sitting in the office
Kemal came and he asked me about my grades.  I told him: 
zoology 8 ¾ , chemistry 7, botany 6.5.  I said that physics is 
still uncertain.  I told him that Istanbul is very beautiful and 
that he should try to go to high school there, adding that we 
could roam around together.

I wrote a letter to her and got a response.  During my tests 
I didn’t write.  She’s probably angry with me and failed her 
classes.  She’s in Sivas now.  Recalling the promise of justice
I ask: how could darkness be so bad?


Friday, 20 July 1934
I stayed in my pajamas the whole day at the orchard.  I 
started reading “Aşkım Günahımdır” and finished it.  The 
novel was pretty good.  The story was so close to reality I 
couldn’t help but be interested. 

 samsun tokat haritası ile ilgili görsel sonucu


Saturday, 21 July 1934
I worked hard in the office today.  In the evening we went
to the park and listened to songs and ‘saz’ music.


Sunday, 22 July 1934
I got a two-page letter from Şemsi filled with news.  He 
wrote about his daily life.  I read the letter twice.  In 
particular, the news he gave me about my nephew made me
happy.  I felt bad that Nedim had been expelled.  He went 
to Ankara but probably in vain.  I got 6.5 in physics, which
is about as good as I could have hoped for.  But I was 
annoyed that Şeref got 7.  Şemsi said that his brother has 
been left back.  I felt really bad about this because his poor 
father will have to suffer for another year.  Would that he 
had passed the class.


Monday, 23 July 1934
Because today is a holiday, the office was closed.  My father
and I went to the bath.  I spent the rest of the day touring 
around and went to the park in the evening.


Tuesday, 24 July 1934
Today I received a paper showing my marks from the dorm 
directorate.  When my father saw the 6.5 he scolded me 
for getting such a low mark.  I smiled without saying 
anything and then explained that just about everyone’s grade
was the same as mine.  I’m reading the novel “Sürgün” in
Yedi Gün (newspaper) and like it a lot.  Kadircan wrote as 
if it was real life.

In the evening, as I passed by her house I saw a lot of
heads in the window, one of which I recognized.  Perhaps 
she has come.  Oh, if only I coud see her face one time. 
These days I think about her almost every hour.  Even when
I’m in bed she makes me think about herself.


Thursday, 26 July 1934
In the evening while riding my bike to the orchard, I went by
her house and again I thought I saw her.  But I felt bad 
because I’d promised myself I wouldn’t go there.


Friday, 27 July 1934
The weather turned bad toward noon today.  There was lots
of thunder but it didn’t rain much.  After a couple of minutes
of rain the sun comes out and then the same thing 
happens again.  It continued in this way until evening.  
Since the weather was cool I slept well at night.  I still 
cannot forget her.


Saturday, 28 July 1934
Finally, I saw her.  In the morning around noon, as I was 
killing time in the office, I saw her looking at me as she 
passed by.   I was thrilled.  There’s no way I can describe 
the joy I felt at that moment.  It has been 11 months since 
I’ve seen her.  Henceforth I’ll pass by her house all the 
time and try to see her face. 


Sunday, 29 July 1934
I wrote a letter to Şemsi and sent 4 liras for the book about 
bones.  I didn’t see her today.


Monday, 30 July 1934
Because Suzi and family came to the orchard in the evening
I went into town in the morning on my bike and came back
with groceries on the donkey, remaining at the orchard until
evening.

Tuesday, 31 July 1934
I stayed at the orchard today.  In the afternoon I went in the 
river with Necati, Suzi and Haluk.  At 6 o’clock we at some of 
the the large white grapes Suzi stole.

tokat 1930 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
                                Tokat, 1930s


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder