3 Kasım 2018 Cumartesi

TNT History Mini-Series: Selahattin's Diary (1933-1934)/Part V

//Ed. Note: With this installment of Selahattin's
Diary, we find him in Tokat in the lazy days of
August 1933, studying for his philosophy make-up
exam,  playing with friends and, as always,
keeping a close, silent eye on the elusive Cemile.

TNT will continue with the next batch of diary
entries in a few days. Stay tuned.//

tokat yaz resimleri 1930 ile ilgili görsel sonucu

                    Postcard of Tokat, 1930s



                                  August

Tuesday, 1 August 1933
I read through 30 pages of logic.  I spent the rest of the day
with Kemal and despite the weather being so hot we flew 
a kite.

Wednesday, 2 August 1933
Again today the weather was very hot.  I read 60 pages of
logic.

Thursday, 3 August 1933
In the evening my father said that the people from Zile had
come and would perform an activity tomorrow.  Since I 
was at the orchard, I couldn’t go to the activity.  Excited 
about tomorrow’s match, I went to bed early but didn’t get
to sleep till late.

Friday, 4 August 1933
In the morning I headed for Tokat on the donkey at 10 
o’clock.  Kemal came with his father.  We went to the 
house in Tokat and sat in the garden.  We walked around 
the vicinity of the clock tower for a bit.  I looked all around
 for her but didn’t see her.  Finally, at 4 o’clock, we went to
 the field and saw that all the seats were already taken so 
we stood to wait.  I looked everywhere for her but didn’t 
see her.  The match was very exciting.  The team from Zile
 had Zaralı Ziya and goalie Lutfi from Sivas.  Later we 
learned that they even had a player from Samsun.  Our 
side played better during the entire match.  The ball was 
always in front of the Zile goal.  At the 30 minute mark 
of the first half, teacher Lutfi scored a goal.  Hamdi scored
the scored the second goal at 30 minutes of the second 
half.   Our side scored more goals.  In fact, we missed 
three penalty kicks.  The match was great. But for some 
reason I wasn’t all that happy and I thought a lot in my
bed at night.

Saturday, 5 August 1933
I studied somewhat and goofed off some, too.

Sunday, 6 August 1933
In the evening my father gave me a letter from Namık 
that I opened right away.  Although it was dark, with 
some difficulty I read the letter.  I was quite upset about
it and went to bed without eating.

Monday, 7 August 1933
I wrote a letter to Namık.  I read his letter and mine to 
Kemal.  I wrote very sad things to Namık. But this year
my life is always gloomy.  I don’t understand anything
about the world this year.  In the evening I was glad 
about one thing: another day had passed.

Tuesday, 8 August 1933
I went to Tokat.  After I finished writing Namık’s letter at 
the office, I mailed it.  I looked for her on the road but 
didn’t run into her.  I just saw her once in front of the 
window.  This put a smile on my face and satisfied with 
this amount of joy, I headed for the orchard.

Wednesday, 9 August 1933
The sky became cloudy again.  Even with a jacket I’m 
feeling cold.  I prepared a philosophy copy until evening.
After dinner, I wrote a letter to Şemsi and gave it to my 
father.  In my dream tonight I saw that Namık had come
to Tokat.  But in the morning I disappointedly realized 
it was a dream.

Thursday, 10 August 1933
Cloudy again today.  I’m bored.  In the morning I prepared
a fair amount of philosophy notes.  At noon I played a lot 
of football.  In the evening we began to read Ömer Rıza’s 
novel “Gül Hanım” in the latest newspaper.

tokat resimleri 1930 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
     Elementary school students in Tokat, 1930s

Friday, 11 August 1933
I read “Gül Hanım” up to the 2 August installment.  I 
played a bit of football.

Saturday, 12 August 1933
There were some breaks in the clouds but mostly it was 
overcast.  I finished the philosophy notes.  I read the ninth
installment of “Around the World in a Vehicle”.  Kemal 
and I chatted a lot.

Sunday, 13 August 1933
After shaving in the morning, I went to Tokat.  Who did I 
run into in the square? She was buying vegetables for her 
home.  As she went home I circled her on my bike.  When
 she went home I had to leave my bike at home, too.  It 
had been nearly two weeks since I’d seen her so I was 
happy about my stroke of luck today.  In the afternoon I 
saw her at here home’s window, while Kemal and I were 
heading for my nanny’s home.  Hey! I was very happy 
about this today.  I wrote a letter to Celal.

Monday, 14 August 1933
The weather was very hot in the morning.  In fact, for this 
reason I washed in the river.  But in the afternoon the 
weather turned bad and rained somewhat.  When my father 
came home in the evening he brought a second letter from 
Namık for me.  I read it right away.  Since he hadn’t yet 
received my letter and made some wrong statements in his
 writing, I felt badly.  In the evening we learned that 
İbrahim Bey would leave on Wednesday so this soured 
our mood.

Tuesday, 15 August 1933
I went to the office in the morning.  My father went to see 
off Şükrü Bey, who was going to Turhal.  I wrote a letter to
Namık until noon.  Really, I’m feeling down.  Let these 15 
days pass quickly so I can see Namık again.  Fortunately, 
today I saw Naci, whom I hadn’t seen until now.  We had a 
good chat.

Wednesday, 16 August 1933
The weather has turned very cold so in the evening I wore
 my overcoat.  Again, I wrote a lot of notes. An invitation
 came for the Tokat middle school’s graduation tea gathering.

Thursday, 17 August 1933
The weather cleared today.  Kemal and I took baths in the 
river.  In the evening my father brought me a letter from Ali
Tevfik.  In the letter he wrote that he didn’t get the overcoat.
I wonder what Cahid did with the overcoat?

Friday, 18 August 1933
In the morning my nanny’s family came to the orchard.  As 
I was going to Tokat I ran into them at Kızıltoprak.  When I
got to Tokat I went to the coffee house and played games 
with Hilmi and Celal.  At 1:45  we went to the Halk Evi 
(Peoples House), where Halis Bey was giving a talk.  
Afterwards the entertainment began.  We danced and 
played musical chairs  and other games.  I came in first in
the food game. I saw her once at the coffee house and once
while going to the Halk Evi. Because of my circumstances,
I couldn’t follow her.

tokat resimleri 1930 ile ilgili görsel sonucu

   Students in Tokat on a nature outing, 1930s.

Saturday, 19 August 1933
Hilmi came at noon and we talked until evening.  Then 
we studied together.  I got a letter from Namık in the 
evening and read it right away.  I was glad to see that he
had received my letter.  But in his letter Namık wrote 
that he will definitely go to Europe, which upset me quite
a bit.

Sunday, 20 August 1933
Hilmi and I studied philosophy until noon, after which I 
went in the river to wash because of the heat.

Monday, 21 August 1933
I went to Tokat in the morning and toured around until noon
but I didn’t see her.  At 3:30 I went to the Halk Evi.  At 5 
o’clock we went to the graves of Zeki and Nesib.  As I came 
down Ardala Street I saw her.  She was wearing a green dress
as she headed down.  Of course, I couldn’t leave the line I 
was in.  First we came to Zeki’s grave.  After placing a 
wreath, Halis Bey asked us to be quiet.  Then he made some
remarks.  Then he had us read ‘faik’.  We did the same thing
at Nesib’s grave, where Necati read ‘aşr’.  We were all quite
affected by this.  After the ceremony, we went back to the 
city by way of Dibağhane Street. I sat with Reşad for a while
in the park and then rode my bike to start to look for her.  
But I ran out of hope and went to the orchard.   I hoped I 
might encounter her on the road and I did! Naturally, I 
arrived at the orchard quickly and in high spirits.  I 
received a letter and a photo from Celal.

Tuesday, 22 August 1933
Hilmi and I worked on philosophy.  I had quite an exciting 
adventure tonight – I kissed her in my dream.  But when I 
awoke and realized it had been a dream I couldn’t open my
mouth.

Wednesday, 23 August 1933
We worked on philosophy until noon.  In the afternoon I 
went to the river with Kemal.  It was very hot today.  I’m
really bored.

Thursday, 24 August 1933
Hilmi went to Tokat to deal with the age matter. I wrote 
some things to correct some problems in the copy.  The 
weather was very hot again.

Friday, 25 August 1933
Hilmi was sick so he couldn’t come.  I took advantage of 
this to finish the thing that’s been torturing us.  In the 
evening my father brought the new installments of “Gül 
Hanım” and I read them.

Saturday, 26 August 1933
Hilmi came today and we started on logic.  He said that 
Cemal has come from Sivas.  They’re conducting very 
thorough examinations and I’m afraid of not getting a report.
My mother washed me.  The weather is cloudy.  I began to 
read “Cennet Fedaileri”, which my father brought for me.

Sunday, 27 August 1933
The weather is cloudy again.  After studying logic with 
Hilmi until noon, I started to read “Cennet Fedaileri” and 
finished  it. The author of this nice historical novel is 
Ömer Rıza.

Monday, 28 August 1933
After studying logic with Hilmi until noon, I went to Tokat.  
I got an inoculation card. I road my bike around quite a bit 
but I didn’t see her.  After not having seen her for a week, 
I’m at  my wit’s end.   What will I do when I don’t see her 
for a month or two?   On the way to the orchard with Kemal 
in the evening I got a letter from Ali Tevfik, who had sent it
to the Sivas address, thinking we were there.  In any case, 
in the letter he wrote that he got the overcoat and that he 
was embarrassed about my first letter, which pleased me.

Tuesday, 29 August 1933
We finally finished logic.  Since my mother went out touring,
I waited at the orchard for her until evening.

Wednesday, 30 August 1933
I went to Tokat for the Fleet celebrations.  At nine thirty, all 
of us middle school graduates were sent to Army Square.  
She was going to the same place with her friends and took 
the opportunity to look back at me, which pleased me very
much.  When we came to the square she sat in one of the 
rooms in the Army School building and was right across from
me.  We looked at each other for two hours.  I was just about
drunk from this.  I was joking with my friends, which kept 
her looking at me.  Toward evening she went out on the street
with someone and I followed her to her house.  I probably 
won’t see her again.  The pain of being away from her for 9 
months will hurt me but when we reunite I’ll have sweet 
moments to enjoy.

Thursday, 31 August 1933

We were able to leave Tokat at 3 o’clock.  We sat sometimes 
and stood in the back sometimes, reaching the school at 9
o’clock.   Many of the other fellows had already come, 
except for Namık.  I’m waiting eagerly for his arrival. 

tokat  fotoğrafları 1930 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
           Tokat clock tower, 1930s

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder