10 Kasım 2018 Cumartesi

TNT History Mini-Series: Selahattin's Diary (1933-1934)/Part XII

//Ed. Note: During April and May, Selahattin
got a bit more serious about his classes and 
finally gave up billiards.  At the end of the 
month final exams began. 

No mention of, or reference to, Cemile at all.//

istanbul easter 1930 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
Sülemaniye Mosque in back of Istanbul University.

                                         April

 Sunday, 1 April 1934
Thankfully, I got letters from my parents and my older 
sister.  Of course, I was very happy about this.  I also 
got a letter that the Temperance Society sent me.  The
weather was rainy.  Because it’s Easter, the foreign 
professors didn’t come to class.


Monday, 2 April 1934
There were no classes again today. I got a letter from 
Reşad.  I went to the office of Fazleddin Kerim Bey to 
pick up the Temperance Society invitation.  At the Saray, 
I saw the end of “Sefiller”.


Tuesday, 3 April 1934
With regard to last week’s exercise, I incorrectly 
identified one of the three unknowns.  In other words,
so far I’ve gotten two of them wrong.  If we get 10 wrong
we fail the course.  God willing, that won’t happen.  I 
wrote a letter home and received one from my brother-in-
law.  I wrote letters to Hakkı and Cemal, too.  I’ll mail 
them tomorrow.


Wednesday, 4 April 1934
I waited for Abdullah at the bridge from morning till noon.
But he didn’t get off any of the ferries so I went back to 
the faculty.  I was present for the attendance call but I’ll
probably get a penalty.  In the afternoon, Şemsi and I 
went to the Milli Cinema, where we saw “Vatandaş 
Silah Başına” and “Gülen Paris”.  Both were good.
In the evening, I received a letter and congratulatory 
card from Behcet.


Thursday, 5 April 1934
We went to the Temperance Society event. We had a 
very nice evening.  The event began at 5 o’clock and 
ended at nine thirty.  We took the oath on the stage.  
I watched the Zeybek dance, in particular, with great 
pleasure.

 istanbul 1930 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
Istanbul University entrance, Beyazit, 1930s

Friday, 6 April 1934
In the morning I wrote a letter to Reşad.  For the
first time, on Friday we went to the Millet Kütüphanesi
(National Library) to study.  It will be very good if I 
study like this all the time.


Saturday, 7 April 1934
The weather improved.  In the afternoon, after watching
volleyball for about an hour at the Yüksek Muallim 
(Senior Teachers School), I went to the library again and
studied there.


Sunday, 8 April 1934
The weather is quite nice.  For what it’s worth, I stayed 
in the library to study.


Monday, 9 April 1934
 Today in the zoology laboratory we opened an earthworm.
 I wrote a letter to my parents.


Tuesday, 10 April 1934
The metals I found last week turned out to be correct.  
This made me very happy, of course.  This week we did 
five of them.  I doubt that I got them all right.  In the 
evening we got our salaries and were weighed.  My
height is 1.68 (5’ 6”) and my weight 60 kilograms 
(132 lbs.), so I’ve gained a kilogram, which made me
very happy indeed. 


Thursday, 12 April 1934
I sent letters to Behcet and my father yesterday.  In 
the afternoon I went to the cinema and saw “Beyaz Rahibe”
and “?Diyalulu? Çete Peşinde”.  “Beyaz Rahibe” was 
good.  After the cinema, we played 4-person ‘şu’le’ (flash)
billiards and our foursome won.


 istanbul 1930 ile ilgili görsel sonucu


Friday, 13 April 1934
We went to Beşiktaş in the morning to see Namık and 
came back to school at noon.  After lunch, Şemsi and I took
pictures in the university garden.  Then we went to the 
movies, where we saw “Volga Kızı” and “Aşk Tangosu”.  
Both of them were very good.  Galatasaray lost this 
week and they have no chance for the championship 
anymore.  I was glad that Fenerbahçe lost, too.


Friday, 20 April 1934

This week I went to either the library or the Halk Evi most 
of the time.  On Wednesday I got a letter and money from 
my father.  I went to the cinema yesterday, where I saw 
“Macar Marşı” and “?Luli? Sinemcı”.  Both were very 
good.  After the movies, I played billiards and spent a lot
of money.  The weather today was very good.  I stayed at
the school until noon and then went to the Halk Evi.  I 
wrote a letter to my father.  For the first time I saw a fresh
pumpkin.


Monday, 23 April 1934
It’s Children’s Holiday today so the faculty was closed.  
The weather is hot.


Wednesday, 25 April 1934
 Because of the funeral of Kemalettin Sami Paşa, the faculty
 was closed.  Since we were doing other things, we couldn’t
 see the ceremony.  I wrote a letter to my parents.


Monday, 30 April 1934

Today in zoology we dissected a frog.  The only creature 
left in the series is a snail.  I wrote letters to Cemal and my
brother-in-law.


                                                May


Tuesday, 1 May 1934
In an exercise at night, we made anion and kation (cation)
mixed. The last time I did it wrong, but this time I got 
both of them right.  I mailed a letter to my brother-in-law. 


Thursday, 3 May 1934
 From what we hear, the test will be on the 20th of this 
month.  Let’s see how we’ll do.  We’re glad that the 
exercises are done.  In the afternoon I played billiards 
at the coffee house.  In the evening Veysi, Şemsi and I went 
out looking for girls.  Because of the cold weather, we 
only saw two and we didn’t get positive responses from them.

 anadolu hisarı 1930 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
              Anadolu Hisarı, 1930s.

Friday, 4 May 1934
We went to Anadolu Hisarı for a botany exercise.  It took 
the ferry an hour to get there.  A very nice place.  I saw 
the Göksu (stream).  I didn’t want to leave this place,
which is like heaven.  I wrote a letter to my parents in the 
evening.


Saturday, 12 May 1934
Since today is the Doctors Holiday, we didn’t have 
classes.  There was a meeting, though, in the conference
 hall in the afternoon, where we listened to some 
good speeches.  The Deniz Orchestra gave a concert, 
which I enjoyed very much.  Because I played billiards
too much yesterday and spent too much money I won’t 
play anymore.


Monday, 14 May 1934
Today around noon, an automobile hit the tram in Fatih. 
One of the passengers, a woman, died.  The others were
injured.  The driver died in the hospital.  I got a letter 
from my brother-in-law, containing lots of advice.


Wednesday, 16 May 1934
I wrote letters to my parents.  The tests are approaching.
Let’s see how I do.


Sunday, 20 May 1934
They told us that today we can’t leave the dorm.  In any
case, on the pretext of botany we were left free until noon.
Since I came to the dorm after 1 o’clock I’ll probably be 
written up.  I started studying zoology.

 istanbul üniversitesi 1930 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
                     IU campus, 1930s

Wednesday, 23 May 1934
I’ve been studying zoology steadily for 3 days.  I think
I’ll pass this class but we’ll see.  God help me.,


Sunday, 27 May 1934
I studied zoology quite a bit.  The test is tomorrow.  Let’s 
see how I do.  Even if I’m not successful it won’t be that 
bad because my study preparation has been perfect.  I 
know every question.   May God help me.  I got a letter 
from my father.


Monday, 28 May 1934
I did well on the test.  The questions I got were 
nucleo albumin lining ?mikzelli? karyokinesis separation,
physiologic classification of ?gadda?, and globul polar.  
I wrote each of them very well.  Hopefully, the other tests
will go like this one did. 
 istanbul üniversitesi 1930 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
              Cemile isn't one of them :(


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder