13 Haziran 2021 Pazar

Stop the Steal! Trabzon Village Chief Hopeful Denied Victory by Two-day Residency Shortfall

türkçe links to original Turkish article

(Hürriyet Newspaper, 13 June 2021)

Taşlı's supporters venting in front of the Çömlekçi's 
rather impressive official chief's residence - who 
wouldn't want to live there as chief?!  - the Mar-a-Lago
of Trabzon.

In Çömlekçi village of Trabzon's Ortahisar district, there was a two-
person race for village chief and İsmail Taşlı won by six votes. However,
his opponent Yusuf Alhan objected because Taşlı had lived in the village
for two days less than the mandatory 180 days.  The district's election
council is weighing the matter and its decision is anxiously awaited in 
the now-chiefless village. 

When reigning village chief Ahmet Refik Günaydın died, a special 
election was held on 6 June for the 500 voters in Çömlekçi.  Taşlı won 
144 votes and Alhan garnered 138.  Alhan objected to the outcome, 
though, because he claimed that Taşlı moved into the village 178 days 
before.















      The official chief's workplace is a bit less grandiose. 

A disappointed Taşlı explained that "I won by six votes but I lost 
because of the six month residency requirement.  I say that I fulfilled
the 180 days but because the calculation was made that I was two 
days short of the six months I was denied my victory.  I've looked into
this and there are examples of candidates winning who were one day
shy of 180 days residency. So based on this example, I've objected to
the objection."

In any case, Taşlı says that he will honor the district election council's
ultimate decision but he still expects to be declared the official winner:
"we will honor the decision.  I will leave it up to my opponent to accept
a position he did not win. This two-day shortfall pretext is illogical so I
think I'll ultimately win."












Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder