15 Ekim 2021 Cuma

Elderly Phone Fraud Victims Need to Get "I Don't Speak Turkish!" Training

türkçe links to original Turkish article

(Milliyet Newspaper, 15 October 2021)

dissuasive discourse click here for other examples
where one English phrase could have saved the day.
















Next time they call just say the four magic words that will make 
them go away.

In Kütahya, last June someone called Fatma Dobur (67) claiming to be a
policeman and swindled her out of 800,000 TL (about $90,000) worth of
gold.  But in raids conducted by police in three provinces, eight suspects,
one of them a lawyer, have been taken into custody.  Seized in the raids 
were six bracelets, gold coins of various sizes, notes exchanged between
the gang members about buying and selling gold and cash, and an 
unlicensed revolver and rifle.

The gold hoodwinked from Fatma hanım and other victims was taken
by car from Kütahya by a courier to Denizli, from where it was transported
to Şanlıurfa, the gang leaders' headquarters. 

Fatma hanım was very pleased to hear of the suspects' capture, saying 
"the things they stole from me were the result of 52 years of hard work.
I went without food and drink, gathered wood from the garbage.  But they
deprived me of my sustenance.  Now the thieves who stole from me have
been caught.  Bring back my gold.  That's all I want."



Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder