30 Kasım 2022 Çarşamba

"Beat & Release": Ax-wielding 90'ish Landlord Says 'Don't Believe What You See', in Istanbul

türkçe links to original Turkish article

(Hürriyet Newspaper, 30 November 2022)














"Pay no attention to the man with the ax! Fake news!"

Syrians Amina Hasan and Rahaf Shaham Kabaa live in a flat in Istanbul's
Bayrampaşa district owned by Naim Akgün (93!).  On 22 January 2022 
Akgün went to the flat, bashed the door with an ax and entered to collect
unpaid rent.  He was charged with "violating the sanctity of a home with
a weapon" and the public prosecutor asked for a sentence of from one to
four years. 

The case was heard in court yesterday and Akgün defended his actions,
saying "I own the apartment building.  I gave that flat for rent 
to two people but this became 20 people and they don't pay their rent.
On the day of the incident, the renter in the flat next to theirs moved out
and left the place a mess.  I went there to make repairs so that's why I
had the ax.  I didn't damage the renters' door, which costs 15,000 TL
(about $800).  Why would I damage my own property?!"  

The court directed that the scenes of the incident be given to an expert
witness and postponed the hearing until a further date. 




Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder