26 Nisan 2021 Pazartesi

COVID Bars Humans From His Coffee Shop, So Cats & Dogs Replace Them

türkçe links to original Turkish article

(Hürriyet Newspaper, 26 April 2021)

















             The coffee here is purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect!

Recep Alözkan (78) lives in Tekirdağ's Hayrabolu district.  During the 
COVID pandemic he has had to close his coffee shop to humans but has
opened it instead to 50 street cats and 5 dogs, feeding them and providing
them with shelter.

Alözkan explained that "when deaths rose because of the virus, customers
stopped coming so I opened up my coffee shop to stray cats.  I feed them
and take care of them.  The Hayrabolu municipality heard about it and 
the other day they provided some food for the cats to add to what I can
give them.  Mostly, though, I look after them with my own resources.
Sometimes dogs come, too, and I feed them.  My wife died two years ago
so since then I've passed the time looking after the stray animals."

Nedim Başaran, who lives in Umurbey village with Alözkan, praised his
neighbor's behavior, noting that " Recep spends his entire income on 
these cats.  We try to help out from time to time, as well.  He's had the
coffee shop for years and always looked after the animals.  If he didn't
they might cause us problems in the village."

Another neighbor, Birol Alagöz, said that "Recep used to look after 10-15
cats but today the number is around 40-50.  There are some people who
criticize him for this and I feel bad about that.  After his wife died, he 
dedicated himself to these animals.  He gets bread and boils bones for
the juice to make food for them.  We try to help but it's not enough. We
expect the city and the district to provide him with more support."



Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder