15 Ocak 2021 Cuma

"Beat & Release": Flame, Lightning and a Combustible Relationship

türkçe links to original Turkish article

(Milliyet Newspaper, 15 January 2021)














                                  What's in a name...

The evening before last, a fire broke out in a flat on the 14th floor of an 
apartment building in Ataşehir, Istanbul.  Firefighters entered the flat
and rescued Alev Şimşek ('Flame Lightning' in Turkish), whose arms 
and legs were bound and her mouth taped (!).  Alev hanım's boyfriend 
Emre Y. was arrested for having started the fire, but after appearing 
before a judge he was released on judicial supervision (!). 

In her statement to police, Alev hanım explained that "we drank 
alcohol together.  He said he's married but in the process of divorcing.
We argued like we always do.  Right now, I don't remember him tying
me up, taping my mouth and starting the fire.  But there was no one 
in the house besides us.  I may have blacked out.  When I'm better I'll
give another statement."

As for Emre bey, denying the accusations, he asserted that "my old
girlfriend Alev and I split up a month and a half ago.  I went to her
home on the day of the incident to help her move. After we chatted
for a while I left. I did not drink alcohol and I did not tie her up, nor
did I set the house on fire.  I'm filing a complaint against her for
slander!"
















                           Towering inferno of love.


However, Alev hanım's neighbors said that Emre bey continually
committed violence against her and 15 days ago he hung Alev hanım
out of a window (!).  Apartment building attendant Ayşe Sosyal 
noted that "Alev told us that 'my boyfriend beats me all the time.' 
She got a restraining order for six months but 15 days ago he hung
her out the window.  Alev cried for help and myself and the building
administrator went to save her from the guy, who fled.  Alev wrote
a note to us, saying 'if a fire breaks out, how will you save me?!'.
She was obviously trying to warn us but we didn't understand. 
Yesterday, it happened." (hmmmmmm)

Police reviewed video from the building and saw that Emre bey had
left four hours before the fire started.  They speculated that Emre bey
may have ignited the fire with a remote mechanism  or perhaps 
Alev hanım taped her mouth and somehow bound herself before 
starting the fire.  After a fire department report becomes available
the cause of the fire may be determined with certainty.




Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder