4 Mayıs 2021 Salı

"Beat & Release": Marriage to the Woman He Stabbed Gets Abuser Reduced Jail Time

türkçe links to original Turkish article

(Hürriyet Newspaper, 4 May 2021)















      All he really wanted was to marry and settle down.

Necla Kenar, the mother of one child who lives in Küçükçekmece 
district of Istanbul, divorced in 2013 and soon began living together
with local man Ümit Masat, who beat Necla hanım just about every
day.  When she decided to leave, Masat stabbed her in seven places on
24 April 2019.  

Masat was taken into custody and put on trial for "murder with intent
to kill" (15 years), "ongoing threats" (3.5 years) and "ongoing insults"
(3.5 years).  At the trial at the Bakırköy courthouse, Masat explained
that "I love Necla very much but I get jealous.  On that day we argued
and I lost my temper.  I stabbed her but I didn't intend to kill her." 

However (!), Necla and Masat were married on 25 March 2021 so
Masat's sentence was limited to 3 years 9 months for "attack with a 
weapon that could cause bones to break."  The court acquitted Masat
of the threat charge and Necla withdrew her complaint about insults,
bringing the case to its conclusion, despite the chief judge's minority
opinion that Masat should be penalized for "attack with intent to kill."

Yet, in an interview that Necla hanım gave to Hürriyet in July 2020, she
said that "I was three months pregnant but he got mad about something
and beat me anyway.  The police saved me.  I miscarried and was in 
intensive care when he came into the room and took off my blanket
and pulled out my intravenous solution tubes. He cursed and scared
the nurses. He made things intolerable for me.  He only wants me to
have someone to torture. He oppresses our children and tortures me.
Then he says 'I love you, come to me.'  This isn't love, it's obsession,
illness."






Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder