31 Ocak 2020 Cuma

TNT History Mini-Series: Bekir Ağa Prison - Turks in Turkish Hands/Part VI

//Ed. note: Süleyman Sırrı described the prison jobs he and
his fellow prisoners were assigned to do, after being beaten
for most of the night.//

osmanlı iskencesi ile ilgili görsel sonucu
                       Resting in between work shifts.


We Also Did Work


They didn't leave us idle in the prison.  Each day we had to sweep the
barracks thoroughly, wet it down and clean the bathrooms.  Rıza Nur
Bey wrote this about me in his book "Cemiyet-i Hafiye" (secret 
society): 

"One night I awoke to screams.  In between bat-blows, someone was 
furiously crying out.  Whack! Whack!  Gradually, the terror and fury
of the screams began to diminish with exhaustion.  For a few moments
the blows stopped but then the beater's terrifying announcement of 'not 
done yet!' was heard.  Soon after, the sound of the bat-blows began 
again but even as they continued the moans and groans subsided."

"After I woke up I counted 100 bat-blows.  Because the victim had
passed out, there were no more screams.  Then, the blows stopped. I
looked at the time and saw that it was 3 o'clock in the morning.  Yes!
That brutal beating had kept me awake.  I still don't know how I made
it through that night."

osmanlı iskencesi ile ilgili görsel sonucu
                        Required reading.

"Morning came and I began to hear the sounds of relief eminating from 
a group of prisoners with rags and cloths coming to clean my room, 
after having wiped down the corridors.  One of them was about 19 or
20-years-old, his face the color of a yellow camelia flower.  His eyes
reflected the vicious terror he had experienced, the fear of death was 
evident on his face and his movements betrayed his frayed nerves."

"I realized that this young fellow was the one who carried the gas
container for the gasman each evening.  Whenever he came he would
look into my eyes beseechingly, as if hoping for help from me.  Later
I learned that this fellow was Sırrı, a teacher.  Another fellow was 
'Unlikeable' Simali, who had an unkempt beard.  It was apparent from
his eyes and his manner why he'd gotten the moniker 'unlikeable'." 

"In any case, while wiping the floor in my room 'Unlikeable' Simali 
looked up at me and asked in French 'when will we be freed?'   I asked
him who he was  and he replied 'I'm here for the same reason you are.'
I didn't say another word."

Each day we would spend two hours wiping and sweeping the barracks
and in the evening we'd fill the lamps with gas.  The rest of the time I'd
just sit and think about horrible things.  The thought of dying at such a 
young age was driving me crazy.     

osmanlı iskencesi ile ilgili görsel sonucu
                Smoke break: "Smoke 'em if you got 'em."

//END of PART VI//







Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder