17 Mart 2023 Cuma

"Beat & Release": Barbarians in the Woodlands of Istanbul

türkçe links to original Turkish article

(Hürriyet Newspaper, 17 March 2023)














                   Talks loudly and carries a small stick.

On Wednesday last week, a group of co-workers went to Ayvat Pond in
Kemerburgaz, Istanbul, for a picnic.  When they ran out of things to burn
for their bar-b-q they flagged down a tractor hauling wood.  After offering
the tractor driver some sausage sandwiches in exchange for wood, they 
left.  However (!), the tractor driver's relatives, coming to the scene a bit
later, assumed that the group had stolen the wood and a fight ensued, 
with 7 persons injured and 11 taken into custody by police. 

After statements were taken in relation to charges of "intentional 
wounding", "threatening", "insulting" and "violations of the firearms
law" all those in custody were released (!).

Mustafa Gündüz related that "A mustachioed man in his early 50s
came after us, cursing and screaming 'leave that wood alone!', 
assuming we had stolen it.  I tried to explain that we had gotten it in
exchange for food but he started cursing in an even worse way.  
When he picked up a piece of wood and came after me with it, I
went toward him.  We struggled and he told a woman, evidently his
wife, to bring his gun from their minibus. She was about to give it to
him when I tried to prevent her from doing so."

"They came after us with axes, saws and bats, even brandishing a
gun.  I counted six who were hitting me.  Then I fell to the ground
and I couldn't hear anything.  I began to shout that I needed an 
ambulance but they wouldn't even let my friends come near me,
saying 'leave him, he hit our father !'  But I didn't touch anyone's 
father.  They said I was drunk, too, but I got a report to prove that I
wasn't."

Gündüz added that he was able to crawl under some bushes to get
away.  He related that "I have breaks in my skull in 5 or 6 places
and at the hospital, I learned that there was some bleeding in the 
brain, too. I can't hear out of my right ear and I have trouble moving
parts of my face.  I was in the hospital for 6 days and was discharged
yesterday.  In the meantime they were taken into custody but released.
If I hadn't been able to hide myself, they probably would have killed
me.  I want justice!"




Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder