17 Nisan 2022 Pazar

"Beat & Release": Forgetful Drug Baron Bagged by Police, in Marmaris

türkçe links to original Turkish article

(Hürriyet Newspaper, 16 April 2022)














                                 You snooze, you lose.

Municipal worker Ali Eren (36) found a bag on a bench while he was 
tending the flowers in Koca Mehmet Park in the İçmeler section of 
Marmaris in Muğla province.  Eren saw that inside the bag there were
dollars and Turkish liras so he informed his boss. 

Police were called and counted $12,400 and 2,400 TL in the bag. 
Security camera footage identified the bag's owner as "Miran Othaman",
who came to the police station to claim his bag, asking the police to
give Eren $400 as a reward for finding the bag.  

However (!), police became suspicious of "Othaman" based on his 
behavior and followed him.  An investigation revealed that "Othaman",
using that name for his fake ID card, was actually drug baron Rawa
Majid.  A raid on his villa in İçmeler yielded 2 unlicensed guns, a rifle 
and 21 bullets.  Majid was arrested and jailed.  















       Hopefully, he got to keep the $400, too.

Eren was congratulated by Marmaris Mayor Mehmet Oktay for finding
and reporting the bag, as it led to the apprehension of a drug dealer.

As for Rawa Majid, in his statement to police he said that "I came to
Turkey for a vacation. I went first to Bodrum and then came here to 
Marmaris where I rented the villa.  After walking for a bit I took a 
rest on the bench and forgot my bag there.  It never crossed my mind
that I'd be arrested for claiming my lost bag.  In order to avoid 
suspicion at the police station I identified myself as a ship-owner. 
I had my fake ID professionally made so I still can't figure out how 
they determined my real name." (!) 







Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder