19 Nisan 2022 Salı

"Rock & Roll İmam" Appeals to European Human Rights Court for Reinstatement

türkçe links to orginal Turkish article

(Hürriyet Newspaper, 19 April 2022)














                        Not mutually exclusive, he wails

Ahmet Muhsin Tüzer, known as the "Rock & Roll İmam", was fired 
from his post in Antalya and has appealed to the European Court of 
Human Rights (ECHR) for reinstatement.  While he was serving as an 
imam (Moslem clergyman) at a mosque in Kaş district, Tüzel founded 
the music group "FiRock" with Doğan Sakin, the guitarist of  the band
"Kramp Group".  

"FiRock" blended rock music with mystical Sufi tunes and its first
concert drew attention in both the domestic and international press. The
group's first single "Mevla'ya Gel" came out in 2013 and subsequently,
concerts in Turkey and abroad, as well as an album, followed. 

Tüzer was assigned to a mosque in Balıkesir but was fired by a decision
taken by the Ministry of Religious Affairs in August 2018.  His appeal
to a court in Antalya was denied, as were other appeals in Konya and to
the "Danıştay" national appeals court.  So Tüzel appealed to Turkey's
Constitutional Court (AYM), claiming that his legal and free speech rights 
had been violated, but AYM refused to examine his case because the 30-
day period had expired.  As a last resort, Tüzer appealed to ECHR.

Tüzer explained that "during the time that I've been playing rock music
I've made contributions to the recognition of my country and my 
religion.  I'm happy that I've had this success as an imam.  I believe that
the ECHR decision will be positive and I'm waiting anxiously to return
to my role as an imam, which I love and which will allow me to perform
great services." 
















                                              Imagine

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder