4 Mart 2020 Çarşamba

TNT History Mini-Series: A Turk Behind Russian Lines on the Danube Front (1877)/Part V

//Ed. note: İzzet Fuat, en route to deliver his message to 
Grand Duke Nicholas, encounters some elegant Russian
hospitality and enjoys a fine meal before the nearby 
fighting intensifies and he is whisked off to meet the 
Grand Duke.//

turkey russia war 1877 russian officers ile ilgili görsel sonucu
          In the time before video war games...

On the right, a bright white village, and on the left, green, green trees.
In the center and a bit to the rear there was a cemetery with large trees.
Immediately to my left there was a long table, surrounded by well-
dressed, white-gloved waiters.  The stage for all this was a long
meadow, where the carriages of the division leaders were parked along
its entire length.  Guards, aides, sergeants and riding horses stood at the
ready all around.

From afar, cannon fire could be heard.  The oldest general of the
officers in the group came toward me, indicating by a gesture that he
was hard of hearing.  A hefty officer extended his hand to me and said
that this was General Prince Manalov, the cavalry commander.  There
were many other well-bred, polite and welcoming officers, as well.
After introductions, we all sat down at the table.  It was a nice change,
after a night of fear, cannon fire and anxiety, to feel my appetite
returning to its rightful place.

And although I don't remember the names of the many officers I met
at that moment, I can never forget the menu. Herewith:

tomato omelet
grilled lamb chops
potatoes and peas
'Ala Bagrasiyev' (named after a Russian general who died in the
Battle of Moscow in 1812) beef fillet
Russian salad
mixed fruit drinks
Bordeaux wine - champagne

russian officers dining table 1877 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
                                     Scenes of Ruschuk. 

The fine music of the band in the nice weather, mixed with the sounds
of cannon fire and rifle bullets in the distance, gave this military
gathering an elegant touch.  My appetite was enhanced by the comfort
of being in a safe place while the battle raged elsewhere.  Nevertheless,
the increasing import of the fighting soon began to become evident,
as aides and sergeants rushed around during the entire meal.  In fact,
with each message brought to the table, one of the officers would rise,
mount his horse and ride off toward the cannon fire.  Ultimately, in the
middle of the meal only myself, the deaf general and Haşim Bey
remained at the table, with everyone else having rushed off to the front. 

The three of us pressed on with our feast and conversation amid the
tumult.  The general's deafness didn't hinder him from telling me that
my mission had been made known to the Grand Duke by telegram and
that he was awaiting my arrival.  So there was no turning back now. The
deaf general offered his carriage for the trip and I was blindfolded once
again with a thick piece of cloth - making me long for the freedom I'd
given up for this mission.

britzka ile ilgili görsel sonucu


In any event, I had no choice but to accede to these restrictions of war.
The "britzka" carriage took off, with a number of Cossack cavalry in
our rear and Haşim Bey and I chatted all along the way.  All of a sudden,
though, the carriage toppled over while rounding a corner and rolled
down a quite steep embankment.  As I wiped the blood from my head 
wound off my face, I said to my companion "you can drive 3-horse
carriages like this on the open roads of Russia but these Bulgarian roads
aren't very forgiving."


//END of PART V//





Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder