20 Ağustos 2018 Pazartesi

TNT History Archives: Khan of Khiva in a Moscow Prison (1920)

//Ed. Note: Turkish soldier Tahir Baykal was taken prisoner 
by the Russians during World War I on the Caucasus Front
in February 1916. The year 1920 found Baykal in a Moscow 
prison, where he was pressed into service as the translator 
for the deposed Khan of Khiva, Said Abdullah. Baykal's
description of this episode is provided below, from the
book "From Darende to Siberia" by Tahir and Yurdakul
Baykal.  For the full story of Tahir Baykal's adventures in
revolutionary Russia see Tahir Baykal's Russian Adventures 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
A younger picture of Said Abdullah, Khan of Khiva.

"The Khiva Khanate was a place whose borders extended to 
areas touching on today’s Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan and 
Kazakhstan.  It was an Uzbek state that existed from 1512 to
1920, located south of the Aral Sea.  In 1910 the Khanate 
accepted an agreement whereby Russia became its protector.

The Khanate’s capital city was Khiva and the language spoken
by the Moslem populace was Uzbek.  The last ruler was Khan
Abdullah.  After I returned from my captivity I learned that the
Russians had starved Khan Abdullah to death in the prison in 
Moscow. 

The days that I tried to get through living in the Ivanof  Prison
were not much different from my previous days in V.C.K. 
prison in Moscow.  I would get up early in the morning.  There
was a rumor going around that the Khan of Khiva and his 
entourage were coming to visit the prison.  One of the prison 
guards grabbed my arm and said 'can you translate for us?  
They’re Uzbek Turks like you.'  I said that I would be glad to
perform this duty, but I quickly began to think that this might
not be such a good idea because how would I address a king?
What would be the protocol rules and how would they be 
implemented?  I knew nothing of such things and there was 
no one there to help me.  I sat down and tried to ready myself.

We all gathered in front of the great gate that opened out from 
the large prison courtyard and began to wait excitedly for the 
Khan of Khiva.  The giant gate opened with a horrible 
crunching sound that stung our ears, like a terrible musical 
composition would.  As the gate opened a cloud of dust 
enveloped the courtyard and the smell of gasoline mixed with
the dust.  It was a most unpleasant atmosphere.  The gas 
fumes entered my nostrils, upsetting my stomach.

Consequently, I was having trouble seeing straight and 
stumbled, keeping my feet only with great difficulty.  Cries 
of “Hurrah!” brought me to my senses as an enormous 
ramshackle truck entered the courtyard.  The European and
American prisoners gathered in the courtyard gradually 
raised the level of their cries of 'Hurrah!'.  Meanwhile, the
people in the truck looked on intently, but with bewilderment.

These people reminded me of our Janissary soldiers, with 
their diamond-shaped fur caps that seemed to be made from 
sheepskins.  Their hair was very long, reaching down to their 
shoulders.  Looking from afar the scene gave the impression 
of a herd of black-white and colored sheep.  All of them 
looked quite ashamed, depressed, embarrassed, tense and 
exhausted.  I provided translation and guidance for the group
and the Khan and I was quite successful in these roles.  But 
at the time I didn’t know how I would do it and I was having
trouble understanding it all...luck and my courage probably
aided me...

khiva map ile ilgili görsel sonucu

As far as I can remember, there were these people in the Khan
 of Khiva’s entourage:

1)      Abdullah Khan: the last Khan of Khiva.  He appeared to 
be between 65 and 70 years-old. The Khan wore a black fur 
cap and a striped silk robe that had flowing sleeves and 
decorative, shining buttons.  On his feet were short boots that
looked like snow shoes.
2)    Veliahdi (heir) Abdülhamit: between 22-25 years-old, quite 
tall and good-looking.  He wore a fur cap on his head and short 
boots on his feet.
3)      Şeyh-ül İslam: 90 years-old, with a long beard and an 
honest face.
4)      Governor: rather young-looking and with a dynamic 
appearance.
5)      Finance Minister Mehmet Bahahaddin: between 30-35 
years-old and fat.

I don’t remember the names of anyone else but some of their fur 
hats had rather large sides that would remind one of the shape of
baklava.   Their outfits were very bulky.  For a while, the Khan 
and his entourage were given treatment different from ours, but 
this did not last long and the poor fellows were quite 
downhearted,  coming from palace life to a prison camp.  Before 
long they were all needing a piece of bread and gradually they 
joined the rest of us.  So this is how we came to realize that the 
Khan of Khiva had not come on a visit. 

I integrated with them and tried to help them, introducing myself
as a Turkish officer prisoner.   One of them, dressed very well, 
tried to kiss my hand  and bowed almost to the ground upon 
learning that I was a Turkish officer.  Of course, I didn’t give him
my hand.   Saying  'no way!', I turned him away.  He said he 
was the Finance Minister.  As for me, I was very interested in the
Khan so I asked  which one he was.  They told me that it was 
Abdullah Efendi in the black fur cap, in front of them all.  They
headed for their assigned rooms and myself and two others 
followed them.  I heard them talking among themselves, saying 
“there’s a Turkish  officer prisoner here...” and I noticed that the
Khan, evidently having heard this, turned around suddenly to 
try to pick me out. I said to him, “I’m the Turkish officer, your
 majesty.”

He extended a Kuran that he took from the sheepskin pocket of 
his robe and said:

“What will these men do to us? Why have they brought us here? 
For the love of this sacred book will you please tell me?”  I was 
equally confused about the situation.  I took the Kuran from him,
 kissed it and pressed it to my forehead.  Then I said to the Khan:
“Your majesty, I’ve been here for a year and a half and I’m 
getting along as best I can.  Up to now I haven’t encountered any
life-threatening situations.  Hopefully, the same will be true for 
you and you’ll be comfortable.  Let me say this, though. You may
find that  there is a danger of starving here.  As far a I can tell 
from what you’ve told me, they brought you away from Khiva 
to prevent an uprising against the administration there.   There’s
nothing for you to worry about.” 

The Khan appeared very depressed and confused.  As we talked 
he told me about his palaces and his great treasure, while he 
roundly cursed the Russians and Bolsheviks. 

The Khan said 'Our groups are continuing to struggle against 
those scoundrels.  If we carry the day and regain our citidal I’ll 
make you Minister of War.  Even if you don’t accept it I’ll
appoint you as Minister of Education.'  When I heard these 
exaggerated promises and compliments I started to feel like an
emperor. 

When it came time for meal service, the Khan took his plate in
hand and waited for a while next to the cook.  He gathered up
the cabbage parts and food crumbs that fell to the floor, put 
them on his plate and tried to eat them.  This situation upset us
all, and especially me.  I related this unpleasant scene to the 
prison commissar, who was of Jewish descent, and showed this
to him during meal time.  In response, the commissar made the
Khan  the cook’s assistant.  When I heard that the Khan’s son 
was here, too, and that he had been given an authoritative 
position, believe me I was very much affected.  That worthless
child wasn’t the least bit interested in the sorry state into 
which his father had fallen and didn’t look out for him at all. 
  
A few days later while talking with the Khan he couldn’t keep 
from complaining to me about his son: 

'Sir, my son is not paying any attention to me.  Most of the time
 I’m left hungry but he just watches and couldn’t care less.'  To
 myself I said shame on such a son as you...

When I tried to find out whether what the Khan was saying was
true, I saw that the Khan’s son was gathering up the left over 
food and hoarding it, as his father looked on with dismay and 
admonition from behind the columns where he hid himself.   
I caught this worthless son, whose name was Abdülhamit , 
red-handed.  He lacked any love for his father and was heartless.
When I said 'aren’t you ashamed of yourself Hamit?  You’re 
depriving your benefactor father of even a bite of food and 
hoarding it, as well.  Isn’t that shameful?'  In response, Hamit 
said: 'What can I do, sir?  Only I can fill my own stomach.'

So you can understand what the situation was in Russia at that 
time, when not even goodwill for one’s father remained.  I 
found this group of people, that I likened to a herd of sheep, 
quite interesting, crude and primitive.  They reminded me of 
our Janissairies.  The truck they came in stopped in front of us
with a very sharp braking sound, making those inside the truck
nearly invisible amidst the dust.  When the dust and smoke 
cleared, the herd in the truck started to get out.  In the forefront
was the Khan of Khiva.  They rested a bit in a place prepared 
for them and then walked around the prison.  I translated for 
them as best I could.  Fortunately, what I feared did not 
happen to me but I still don’t know how I was able to 
accomplish this task."

//Ed. Note: for background information on the fall of the 
last Khan of Khiva see Khiva's Fall/ Background  //






  


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder