8 Ağustos 2018 Çarşamba

TNT Mongolia Edition: 1st Mongolian Woman to Scale K2

gangaamaa ile ilgili görsel sonucu

B.Gangaamaa: I told 

my mother I wouldn’t

go to K2 but I reached

its summit

State Honored Athlete and international sports master B. Gangaamaa
has returned to Mongolia. Previously, we reported that the 
mountaineer became the first Mongolian to climb the second highest 
summit in the world. Though in height the summit is second after 
Mount Everest, the K2 summit is a deadly one where many mountain 
climbers of the world faced their deaths as it is steep and tough to 
climb.

The Secretary General of the Mongolian Mountain Climbers 
Association said, “B.Gangaamaa’s body is small but her will is large.” 
Her accomplishments are not only applauded in Mongolia but 
internationally.

B.Gangaamaa discovered the sport of mountain climbing 27 years ago. 
She is from Zavkhan Province’s Ikh Uul soum. In 1989, when she was 
a middle school student, she joined Zavkhan Province’s sports club 
and to climb Otgontenger Mountain. As an adventurous amateur 
mountaineer, she asked to join a team of climbers, and was told, 
“Teacher Nandin decides. Go meet her.”

The teacher told her to be careful and to climb as advised. This was 
when she decided to pursue mountaineering.  B.Gangaamaa studied 
microbiology at university and has worked at the Inspection Agency 
of Zavkhan Province for nine years. Throughout the years, the 
mountaineers said that the mountains were calling out to her. Inspired
 by her dreams, she has followed the path of mountain climbing and 
switched to the tourism sector. Later on, she studied business at the 
Mongolian National University and became a trainer for mountaineers.

In 2013, B.Gangaamaa attempted to climb K2 and has left from the 
journey. The following year, she has started preparing and gathered a 
team of international mountain climbers. Mongolians are extremely 
proud of the climber as she became the first from the country to 
successfully set foot on top of the K2 summit.

gangaamaa ile ilgili görsel sonucu
B.Gangaamaa is also a Seven Summiteer, meaning she climbed the 
top summits on each continent in the world.

2010- European Elbrus
2011- Asian Everest
2012- African Kilimanjaro 
2015- North American Denali 
2016- South American Aconcagua 
2016- Australian Kosciuszko 
2016- Antarctica Vinson Massif 
2018- K2 Summit

B.Gangaamaa gave an interview about her voyage to K2.

Was climbing the infamous K2 summit troublesome?

It is a great summit.

What was the weather condition like when you were climbing?

When we got there and set up camp, the weather was nice. However, 
right as we were about to climb, the condition got really bad. We 
couldn't set the ropes since the last and forth camp. We were based at 
the third camp waiting for the weather to clear but we got a report 
telling us that we can’t set the ropes and all climbers should return to 
base.

Then our sherpa (guide) said, “I will go up to IV camp and see the 
condition there,” and left. As our team members were packing and 
preparing to leave, the sherpa came back and said there is no problem
 and asked what I thought on the matter, “Gangaa do you want to 
climb or go down?” I replied saying, “What, going down? We’re 
climbing”.

Afterwards, the sherpa and I met each team member individually. It 
was difficult to persuade the climbers in our team from Switzerland 
and Ireland. I said, “Even if it is stormy, as long as we set the path 
correctly, we can go up.”

gangaamaa ile ilgili görsel sonucu

The depth of the snow was about six meters and 50 meters of it below 
was hardened. Our teammates agreed and we had reached the 
Bottleneck. To be frank, as we were going up I was thinking to myself,
 “What have I done”.

Maybe because it was dark, I was scared. We only had one rope and if
it breaks then we all fall. There wasn’t a single slant that was less 
slanted than 80 degrees. Some of the places were straight up 90 degrees.
I was more scared than tired and I lost my balance sometimes. I lost my 
footing once. While climbing Mount Everest, if the climbers lost their
footing, then they will only fall to the ground because it isn’t as steep 
as K2 where we could fall to the bottom if we make one wrong step.

Did all members of your team reach the top?

Our team had 10 people and everyone reached the top. We were a team
 composed of mountain climbers from eight countries. There were two
 Chinese and two Japanese members. The others were from their 
countries. Half the members were female, but the other team had one
 female so there were a total of six women.

The members of our team became the first Latin American woman, 
first from Switzerland, Belgium, Ireland and Mongolia to reach the top
of K2. The Japanese woman from our team became the second woman
from her country to have climbed K2.

A lot of women headed to K2 this year. The total number of women 
who climbed K2 has become 26 or 27. A total of 227 people climbed 
the mountain but the number of those that died while trying is not few.

In recent years, the number of people heading for K2 has increased. 
The record for the most amount of people to go to K2 was 28 in 2012, 
but our team was made up of 31 people.

You drink dumpling milk tea well.

I wanted to eat dumplings and drink tea so I didn't eat anything on the
plane.  Secretary General of the Mongolian Mountain Climbers 
Association Bayaraa had worked in his position for 30 years. Before 
I left for K2, he said, “Be careful when you go down K2.” Then I told 
him that he is talking about how I should go down when I haven't even
gone up.

After our team reached the summit, we went down in a hurry. Some 
stopped at II camp, but some left altogether. I stayed at IV camp with 
the Japanese climber. Due to how I was holding the rope all the time, 
my arms were exhausted. I thought what if I go at night and my arm 
slips. The Japanese teammate was thinking why we are sleeping 
instead of going down.  The next day, we went down at our own pace.

You have gotten past some hefty work. Are you going to rest now?

I am going to rest for 10 days and get back to work. When I left for K2
 in 2013, my mother was extremely worried. For instance, in the past,
 she used to say, “Okay. Have a safe journey,” and didn't say anything 
else, but in 2013, she said, “As long as I am alive don't do to that 
mountain again and make me suffer.” I responded saying, “Okay, I 
won’t go.”, but on the inside I was thinking, “I will go”.

gangaamaa ile ilgili görsel sonucu

Did you suffer the change in altitude?

It was okay. My teammates prepared for K2 by going to Everest and 
other mountains. When they told me that I was worried because they 
already had gone through altitude training. I thought before climbing,
I would just go up and down a part of the mountain twice for practice.

I told my teammates that I want to go up and down twice before 
starting K2, but then they said you climbed mountains all spring. 
They knew that I climbed Elbrus, which is 5,000 meters. Up until II
 camp, I went up 6,800 meters which prepared me for the altitude.

You camped a lot on the way there and way back.

On the way to the mountain, we camped five times and three on the 
way back. We returned by helicopter and paid the army costs. If people
don’t pay, they don't care even if people are dying there. The price is 
very high. To ensure safety, people leave in pairs. The cost was 30,000
USD.

k2 map ile ilgili görsel sonucu

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder