28 Aralık 2018 Cuma

TNT Matchbox Diary: A Turkish POW in Russian Prison Camp (1915-1918)/Part IV

erzurum 1915 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
                      Turkish soldiers in Erzurum, 1915.

16 February  1915
In the morning we left Torişik. Leaving Ağadır on the left or the right, 
two hours later we came to Ilıca (there’s a bath here of course, but it’s 
filthy). Then we passed through Gez and in the afternoon we entered 
Erzurum through the İstanbul Gate. We waited on a main road for quite
a while before a gentleman named Hafiz Nuh showed us to a room
in Yoncacık neighborhood, where we entered and settled in. Two old
friends, İzzet and Sabri of Çorlu, had left us way back before Erzincan.
We went to an Iranian’s coffeehouse and we are filling our stomachs at
the restaurant but it’s very expensive. There’s not much fuel here and
like everywhere around here there are very few toilets in Erzurum.  
They’re all public and in the mosques. Then, in the neighborhood there’s
a public toilet. Each house doesn’t have one. In the neighborhood where
we’re living there are three public toilets. This is really aggravating. I 
didn’t like Erzurum. There are no nice buildings (except for the military
 buildings and the official buildings, in particular). Compared to here,
Erzincan is much better.

erzurum haritası ile ilgili görsel sonucu
Gez village, west of Erzurum, is where Fuad Bey would be
captured a year later, to the day, by Russian Cossacks in 
February 1916.

17 February  1915
At mid-day we all went to the Ninth Army General Staff, where they 
assigned us to our detachments. I got the 85th regiment, 1st  battalion,
1st company. The battalion commander is Major Ümid Ali Ibrahim. 
During the day I spoke with Lieutenant Faik of our battalion. We are 
in the 29th division. Salih Zekai is in the 87th regiment, 3rd battalion, 
11th company; Nazim Şevki (Istanbul) is in the 87th regiment, 3rd 
battalion, 9th company; Rifat (Aksaray) is in the 50th regiment, 3rd 
battalion, 10th company; Ethem (Acıbadem) is in the 50th regiment,
2nd battalion, 8th company; Nail (Varna) is in the 85th regiment, 3rd
battalion, 10th company; Vecihi (Dersaadet) and İzzet (Erenköy)
are in the training committee and will go to Muş. While I was making
an application at the Army Headquarters, someone from Sivas (one 
of us) whose name I’ve forgotten (probably Hilmi) gave me some bad
news.  I understood right away and got aggravated. Nazım Şevki 
consoled me.

18 February  1915 (no entry)

19 February  1915
Aggravation. İ’m telling myself to bear up. I sent a telegram to my 
father, informing him of my address and detachment. I got to know 
my battalion friends. One of my old friends from the War Academy,
Osman of Pirlepe (Second Lieutenant) was there and I met reserves 
Recep of Manisa and Expert Rifleman Süleyman. Again, I asked my
father for two liras by telegram.

20 February  1915
Upon the order of the battalion commander, I left Erzurum at mid-day.
Passing through Kızıl Ilıca, Karasu and Çiftlik villages, I reached 
Ebulhindi toward evening. This is the headquarters of our battalion, 
our regiment and in fact our division. This is where the organization was
to be done. In the evening a lot of soldiers came and we were sent to our
companies.

21-26 February  1915 (no entries)

27 February  1915
Henceforth, we are dealing with the organizing and training of the 
soldiers who come here from time to time, as well as trying to complete 
our own organization. Two days after coming here, Nazim Paşazade 
(former Izmir Governor) Tahsin, Rıfkı Süreyya in the 3rd  battalion, and
Hasan, who came to the regiment from Kuleli (high school) and who is 
in the 2nd battalion, all showed up.

 alibeyi erzurum haritası ile ilgili görsel sonucu
On this map, Alaybeyi (4) is where Ebuhindi is located,
relative to Erzurum.

28 February  1915
I graduated and departed Ebulhindi and in order to take up official duty 
I came to Erzurum. I got the two liras my father had sent and a receipt 
from the Post Office. I spoke with one of the Central Command officers
at the military postal branch. Right away I got some more bad news.  
While returning from the coffeehouse in the evening I chatted with 
First Lieutenant Faik. I explained to him the problems related to my past
and my situation. Again, I stayed at Hafiz Nuh’s room.

1 Mart  1915
I wrote a promissory note in the morning and after having it certified to
 the Army Corps I went to the transport branch and got three liras. In 
the afternoon I took a weapon from the weapons depot and went directly 
to Ebulhindi late at night.

2 March  1915
In the morning as ordered I left Ebulhindi to find the battalion 
headquarters. Then  we inspected it. We went to Erçek village, where
 our 3rd battalion is.

3-10 March 1915 (no entries)

11 March 1915
In Erçek we dealt with training, organization and getting things in 
order. Now and then we go to stand guard and do fatigue duty. On the 
last day the battalion’s old Commissariat Officer Hasan Ağa came too.

12 March  1915
Bad news. Now I’m in despair, aggravated. Late in the afternoon I left
Erçek and went to Ebulhindi. I spent the night in the room of Deputy 
Officer Tahsin. This place is now the division headquarters. Tonight 
I spoke with Naci of Adana, Emin and a few other  fellows whose 
names I don’t know. Our battalion commander is the acting regimental 
commander. I got sort of a letter of recommendation from him. Ah,
henceforth it’s a time of loneliness and calamity.

13 March  1915
Before noon I saw 29th Division Commander Zakir and immediately 
went to Erzurum from Ebulhindi. I went to stay at the same place. I 
spoke with Nazım Şevki, Sabri, Zekai, Faik and Hilmi, who had been 
assigned to take my place. At night they gave me rakı which I happıly
drank and cheered myself up a bit.

14 March 1915
Today passed much the same. Nazım Şevki left the battalion. We
enjoyed ourselves in the evening with rakı once again. We had a good
time.
  
15 March 1915
Thanks to the introduction by Sabri of Amasya, I spoke with my 
father’s fellow townsman Nazırı Şerif, from Army Production (Third
Army) and I explained the problem.

fuad tokad ile ilgili görsel sonucu

//END of PART IV//


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder