12 Nisan 2019 Cuma

TNT Matchbox Diary: A Turkish POW in Russian Prison Camp (1915-1918)/Part XLVIII

//Ed. Note: Routine in the Vetluga camp is broken when 3
of Fuad Bey's fellow inmates break into the home of a 
Russian girl they've been exchange letters (in French,
written by Fuad Bey) with.  The police catch them and
Fuad Bey frets that they may all now be sent to the real
Siberia.//

russian girls 1915 ile ilgili görsel sonucu

7 October 1916 Saturday
Yet another holiday in captivity…supposedly today is a holiday. 
Everyone is depressed. There’s a sadness hanging over us all. Souls 
and hearts are foundering within a great distress. All is grief it seems, 
everywhere we look there’s sadness. Our thoughts are filled with such 
vexing things that our bodies cannot move properly.  Supposedly today 
is a holiday. No, it’s not a holiday, it’s an inauspicious day that breeds 
endless grief which crushes our existence here in captivity. Yes, today 
is a day when my family in Istanbul is experiencing its blackest, most
torturous day, thinking that I am no longer. Just as they are living today
in sorrow and pain, I’m the same. I’m thinking of them and reviving in
my mind the specialness left by sweet memories of the days of my 
youth. I’m also thinking about the future. I’m growing tired from
the exhaustion of my nation and my country today. I’m not being 
crushed in just one spot, it’s all over. Aren’t these the days that hurt a 
person most? I don’t think that today most people are sad, probably 
they each have little problems. Isn’t it so that a person remembers 
everything he has seen throughout his life today?...the time of torment 
in one’s life attack the mind more than most or one is aggrieved today 
with the sorrowful memories of times which were thought to have been 
pleasant. In short, most holidays are not days that depress one’s 
existence with pain like this. Rather, every day that one lives happily, 
giving peace to the heart, the soul and the mind, are holidays for me…
the weather is nice. They came from the other houses to visit and 
we went too but I couldn’t bring myself to go anywhere. Today I was 
sad, remembering my old life somewhat. In the evening I wrote a short 
note to Halis.

8 October 1916 Sunday
Outside is covered with snow and frost. The sky is cloudy and gloomy.
 Around noon it rained a bit. News: the same as before. Supposedly 
there is turmoil in Turkey. The Russian newspapers are writing that 
Yakup Cemal (one of Enver Paşa’s most influential men) has been 
executed and that the Committee of Union and Progress branch in the
province has been closed down. But we didn’t believe it. A Russian 
prisoner escaped from Turkey. The man fled without difficulty from 
Sivas and then via Karahisar, Gümüşhane and past the forward outposts 
to freedom. Supposedly he will write about the cruelty he faced in 
Turkey…

...in mid-afternoon there was a big crowd on the street. The reason was 
that the child of a priest from one of the surrounding villages died in the 
war. They will take the dead body to the village. The funeral procession 
left town, crossing the bridge over the river. The Russians are respectful 
in spiritual matters. Again there’s a weariness upon me. In fact, Osman 
said to me ‘what is this ill humor over the last couple of days, I’m 
wondering. Tell me, are you sick?’ Later he said ‘if you’re sick let me 
give you my blanket, my fur, my raincoat.’ I was embarrassed and 
grateful for these words. Today they came from the other houses to 
celebrate the holiday. At night Halis and I had a chat. I didn’t think at 
all today but the traces of old distresses have not yet been erased.

9 October 1916 Monday
The weather is bad,very windy. From morning until evening there was 
an icy rain and then snow. It’s dark outside, the sky is overcast. Today 
I caught a bad cold. I washed my handkerchief twice. I was very 
uncomfortable. Although Halis went to get cigarette paper he came back 
empty handed. He’s a bit out of sorts. The boots we gave for repair were 
returned, the reason being that the Austrians have been sent to another
place. What an unlucky coincidence. We had the bread we need for 
table d’hote brought from the committee by means of the married 
fellows. When the Russian soldiers became aware of this all hell broke 
loose. But we gave them each a ruble to keep them quiet. What 
lowdown, inhuman jerks! They use very little of the gas they
get from the government and sell the leftovers, even for a kopek, to 
us or to someplace else…revenge! The arguments about tea have ended. 
The deal is signed, sealed. Today the laundry came but the new 
underwear I had made wasn’t  with it. At night I patched some 
underwear. We didn’t have a German lesson.

10 October 1916 Tuesday
The weather is bad. It’s raining continually with short breaks. 
Everywhere is covered in white. And it’s cold. In the morning we went
to the bath and got cleaned up. After the bath both Halis and I got very 
bad headaches and this continued until bedtime. 

News: according to Müştak, the Germans will make a separate peace 
with the French and give back the territory they have taken…the 
American government has summoned all its ambassadors from all 
over…today I wrote some French words. Also today the collective tea
drinking system was started. 

I went to bed after chatting a bit but I couldn’t sleep at all. At about 
4 o’clock, European style, I woke up worriedly to a noise that went on
for an hour. I kept hearing the refrain that we will be sent to Siberia. 
‘What’s going on?’ I asked about the news circulating and then I 
understood: Süleyman, Hikmet and Kazim, these three idiots, decided 
to go to the home of the Russian girls they’ve fallen in love with here. 
They didn’t give any thought to the difficulty of this. No matter what 
we’ll do it, they said. They set their sights on going through the window 
in the small, dark room.  Kazim removed one of the windows on the 
second floor and opened the other. As these love-crazed fools descended 
the police saw them and cried out. The police station was alerted  
(there’s a rumor that this happened because of cries from their friends 
Hurşid and Rıfkı) and before they could do anything there was an 
outcry. The Russians stood guard until morning. Everyone woke up 
and as morning approached we gathered together in a dishevled manner. 
Osman told the three of them to put on their uniforms and go to the 
Command. They didn’t object and word was sent to the Command.

//END of PART XLVIII//

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder