25 Şubat 2021 Perşembe

TNT History Archives: Ottoman Journalist's Exile on Rhodes & Arrest by Secret Police in Istanbul 20 Years Later/Part 2-4

 


     









                     Meeting with a European Ambassador

Digression

A few days before this incident,  I was introduced by a friend to an 
ambassador of one of the Great Powers countries friendly with the 
Ottoman government at the “Summer Palas” in Tarabya.  Like all of 
his other colleagues, this man was getting information from many 
sources about the internal situation in the country but he was skeptical 
of most of  the information he was most interested in.  He was eager to 
separate the good from the bad information he was paying for but more 
for humane reasons than to satisfy his embassy’s duty.  The people he 
had been introduced to always gave him information that had been 
“corrected”, told him about events he found hard to believe and described 
the declining state of “Securite Publique” in the country over the course 
of time.   As an example of this situation, he said that he had heard that a 
patriotic citizen out of favor with the government could be slandered by 
someone hoping for some money, an award or rank, or impetus for his 
own career.  In consequence, the slandered individual  could be subjected 
to cruelty beyond what is seen even in despotic countries like Russia and 
banished to the farthest reaches of the country, deprived of his family and 
perhaps even his life. 

In response and after a brief introduction, I told him that “in our country, 
there are two reasons why ambassadors suffer from falling into this abyss 
of  misinformation.  The first is the fault of the ambassadors and the 
second is ours.  Ambassadors get information from many people but all 
of this information really comes from just one source.  In other words, 
any ambassador might get information from an interpreter or from 
“Levantines, easternized Europeans” whom the interpreter knows.  
These singular sources parcel out the same  information to many others.  
Consequently, whenever an ambassador wants to find out about 
something, he ought to go to the government for the essential story.  
This fault lies with the ambassadors.  The other fault, though, lies with 
those who know foreign languages. Each day they hear rumors and pass 
them on to their friends, but not to ambassadors, with the rumors finding 
their way to people who hold grudges and don’t shy away from using 
the information for their own purposes. 

Consequently, the example you have just given is nothing more than a 
malicious slander that oozes out from these sources.  Because if you say 
to the person who gave you this information “I would be pleased if you 
would tell me who your sources are!” then you will see how he reacts 
with trepedation and labors to explain away the matter by referring 
vaguely to one friend or another. 

In response, the ambassador said to me “okay, so in order to avoid the 
faults of both sides, from now on whatever I hear, no matter how trivial, 
I should understand that the information essentially comes from the 
government.  I am someone who has the habit of holding back from 
telling my own government anything until I am sure that it is correct.  
For this reason, I choose most of my acquaintences from among 
Moslems, who are the true sons of this country. The friend who referred 
me to you has spoken well of you to me for quite some time  and the 
basic reason that I wanted to talk with you was about the faults you have 
spoken of and to get confirmation of them from a genuine patriot like 
you so I can avoid falling into the abyss of misinformation.” 

“You have made clear what the fault is among your citizens and you have 
confirmed my feelings on this point.  But, you know of course that smoke 
cannot ever rise from a place where there is no fire.  With regard to the 
example that I related to you, even if we suppose that its essence has 
been lost along the way, there is no doubt that there is a kernel of truth 
there.  Can you claim that all these incidents spring from manufactured 
slander? Of course you can’t!”

In response, I told the ambassador that “In our country, there is a group 
that trades in scandal and, for whatever reason, this group is increasing 
in boldness and in its membership.  But an innocent man cannot be exiled 
from his country and family on the word of just one person, no matter how 
trustworthy he may be.  On the contrary, when such slanders are revealed 
the perpetrators are banished.  Let me give you a personal example:  two 
years ago I was the head of a state school ((Mekteb-i Sanayi/ School of 
Industry)). Two of my subordinates who were involved in corrupt practices 
were irritated by my presence so they conspired to have me removed.  
They created “journals” ((incriminating information)) about me designed 
to shock the Sultan in regard to my character.  I was called to account and 
presented with the contents of the “journals”.  So I gave my opinion of the 
originators of the “journals” and asked to meet with them face-to-face.  
These low fellows were brought in and I rejected all their accusations, 
leaving them with no alternative but to confess their slander.   Apparently, 
they had a history of doing such things.  As a result, they were shipped off 
to duty far away.  So you can see that by the time these stories reach you 
they have undergone many twists and turns.”

The ambassador asserted that the fact that these scoundrels, who had no 
connection to the police, were able to have me summoned for interrogation 
without any court proceedings was indicative of the break-down in 
“Securite Publique” in the country.  He proceeded to relate the proper legal 
procedures required in a nation of laws and I listened politely. 

//END of PART TWO, section four//

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder