28 Şubat 2021 Pazar

TNT History Archives: Ottoman Journalist's Exile on Rhodes & Arrest by Secret Police in Istanbul 20 Years Later/Part 2-10

 //Ed. note: Prince Abdülmecid was the son of Sultan
Abdülaziz and he was about 20-years-old when this
pen incident occurred around 1888. As fate would 
have it, Abdülmecid would eventually become the 
last Caliph of the Ottoman dynasty in November 
1922.
  
In March 1924 the Ottoman Caliphate was abolished 
by the new Turkish Republic and Abdülmecid, along 
with the rest of the members of the Ottoman dynasty, 
was expelled from Turkey. He died in Paris in 1944.// 



  








                        Caliph Abdülmecid in Istanbul.


                                     The Prince and the Pen

 

Question: Do you have any relationships with princes?

Answer: First of all, who do you mean by princes. Might I understand 
the question?

Q: Of course.  The Ottoman princes.

A:  Let alone relationships, I don’t even know any of them.

Q: One of them sent you a bejeweled pen, didn’t he?

A: Yes, that is correct.

Q: Which one?

C: Abdülmecid Efendi, the son of Sultan Abdülaziz.

Q: If you had no relationship why would a prince send you a gift?

A: If a prince sends a literary person of this country a gift is that evidence 
of a relationship with that prince?

Q: Well, wouldn’t it be odd for a prince to just all of a sudden send a gift 
to someone he doesn’t know?

A: You’re assumption is a natural one. It would be more than odd, it 
would be very strange.  But if the prince decided to send such a gift 
couldn’t this simply be good manners, whether or not there is a 
relationship or a connection?

Q: How did it happen?

A: About seven years ago, I sent him a copy of my “Rebi-i Ma’rifet” 
annual which I had been publishing  for probably three years at that point, 
although not for public sale.  Because I knew enough not to publish 
something without first offering it to the Sultan’s palace (1).  
Consequently, at the same time I announced the publication via the 
newspapers, I brought copies to the Sultan’s palace the same day and 
returned to my print shop.  Then, one of my employees came to me 
and said that a man dressed like an ‘aga’ (eunuch) had come, saying that 
“he sought a copy of “Rebi-i Ma’rifet” in book stores but found none, so 
he wanted to buy one from you.”

I told my employee to have the man come into my office and when he 
did I recognized him as Ahmed Ağa, who had been in the service of the 
late Kemal Paşa.  I asked him whether he wanted a copy of “Rebi-i 
Ma’rifet” for Kemal Paşa.  Somewhat bashfully, he explained that Kemal 
Paşa had put him in the service of the princes and that he was now working 
at Feriye Palace. He added that Prince Abdülmedid had sent him to get the
 copy of  “Rebi-i Ma’rifet” but not finding it in book stores, he came to my 
print shop to buy one.  I told him that “Rebi-i Ma’rifet” would not be 
available for public sales until the next day so I offered to give him one 
of the fancy copies I had printed for the Sultan’s palace for the Prince.  
Ahmed Ağa, being a well-bred man, knew that I was offering this to the 
Prince free of charge.  He took the copy, gave me a gentlemanly salute 
and left.

The next day at around noon, Ahmed Ağa returned and removed a 
package wrapped in muslin from his coat pocket.  It was gift for me 
from the Prince – a gold writing pen encrusted with rubies on one side 
and with diamonds on the other.  Truly a magnificent gift.  I still have it. 
If you like, you can send someone to fetch it right now.

(1   (1)Since the “Salname-i Ebüzziya”, which I published from 1295 (1879), 
ha   had been seized by the Sultan’s Palace, after that I had to submit the 
       annuals I published to the Palace prior to publication.

 

Q: After the pen, did you have a relationship with the Prince?

A: No.  But Ahmed Ağa came again the following year and again I gave 
him a copy of  “Rebi-i Ma’rifet”.  Two months later, on the first day of the 
month of Muharrem, the Prince sent me the bejeweled letter “T” ((for 
“Tevfik” probably)) broach that I have pinned on my necktie, as a 
“muharremiye” present.  In return, I sent him two bound volumes of my 
magazine.

The Minister was content with my explanation, got up and gave the 
interrogation memorandum to Faik Bey, who boarded a vehicle and 
departed en route to the “Mabeyin”.  For my part, I  was quite curious 
about where the episode concerning me and the Prince had sprung from.  
Two months afterwards I happened upon the answer and I will relate it  
later. ((not available))

  

                                          Philosophical Discussions

Half an hour after Faik Bey left, at about 1130 o’clock, a young fellow 
named Kemal Bey was brought by Ibrikdar Kâmil Bey and an armed 
soldier.  Three years before, Hüseyin Avni Efendi, a teacher at the 
Numune-i Terakki school had brought this Kemal Bey to my home in 
Makriköy. He was deep into  modern philosophy to the point where he 
would strike up a conversation about it with anyone he encountered in 
hopes of a sparking a discussion.  Today, he was carrying the writings 
of ((Ludwig)) Büchner, ((Arthur)) Schopenhauer and ((Herbert)) Spencer 
under his arm.  Since Nazım Paşa was himself quite interested in 
philosophy, he greeted Kemal Bey with enthusiasm.  Those who had 
brought Kemal Bey chatted briefly with the Minister and left.

My questioning came to an end, although they had still not told me the 
reason for my arrest and the search of my papers.  In any event, my 
questioners left and only a few of us remained as cocktail hour 
approached.  Kemal Bey exhibited no fear or anxiety of any sort.  His 
obsession with Schopenhauer’s “pessimism”, Büchner’s “Force and 
Matter” and Spencer’s “evolutionism” had prompted the “Mabeyin” to 
send him to the Minister’s residence for interrogation and possibly exile.  
Yet, Kemal Bey wasn’t the least bit anxious, saying only “what strange 
men! They involve themselves in what a man is reading!”

While we were in the garden, I asked the Minister why Kemal Bey had 
been arrested.  Smiling, he told me that it was because he reads strange 
books.  As a result, the Palace had sent Kemal Bey to Nazım Paşa’s 
residence for an assessment, rather than to the Ministry of Public Security 
for interrogation.   I was pleased to hear that this young fellow would be 
spared torture and I knew that Nazım Paşa would take him under his wing, 
as he had done for many others.   

After dinner, we had quite a discussion about Büchner’s “Force and 
Matter”, with the erudite Kemal Bey holding forth like an expert in the 
field of philosophy.  In fact, he even recited a number of verses from 
“Mesnevi” poetry with fervor and confidence.  This prompted me to 
say to the Minister: “For goodness sake, please don’t let this fellow be 
interrogated by Hüseyin Hüsnü Efendi!  He’ll either drive Kemal Bey 
mad or accuse him of some misdeed and ruin his life.”

The next day the Minister and Kemal Bey continued their discussions 
until eight o’clock.  A summary memorandum was then sent to the 
“Mabeyin” at the Sultan’s Palace and at about the time of evening 
prayers, the order for Kemal Bey’s release was received.  The Minister  
gave him five or ten pieces of gold and a present, but given the lateness 
of the hour and the voracious appetite of both Kemal Bey and the 
Minister for philosophic discussions, we all chatted amiably until 
midnight. 

//END of PART TWO, section ten// 

 


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder