27 Şubat 2021 Cumartesi

TNT History Archives: Ottoman Journalist's Exile on Rhodes & Arrest by Secret Police in Istanbul 20 Years Later/Part 2-9

 //Ed. note:  In this bizarre and comical exchange 
during Ebüzziya's interrogation, the issue of 
whether or not he is a Free Mason is addressed
and its relevance to his arrest case debated.//



      











                                            Free Masonry

All this was done by the middle of the afternoon, at which time the
examination of my documents concluded, as well.  My interrogation 
began toward evening.  The questions were quite absurd and had 
nothing at all to do with my arrest.  Herewith an example:

After the basic name and place of  birth questions, I was asked:

Question:  Are you a Free Mason

Answer: Why do you ask?

Q: You can be sure there is a reason for asking this.

A:  Of course, but who is asking and why?

Q: Never you mind.

A: Then, whether or not I am a Free Mason has nothing to do with the 
matters at hand.

Q: You must answer all the questions put to you!

A:  Perhaps! But only on the condition that they pertain to my arrest 
and the documents of mine that have been examined.  Otherwise, I must 
warn you that the man sitting opposite you will not give you any 
information about matters that are beyond the scope of my arrest. 

Q: Well then!

A: Well then!

Q: My dear sir, you are here not in relation to an investigation by our 
Ministry.  As you know, you have been brought by a decree of the Sultan.  
Consequently, any question you are asked come under the scope of this 
decree.

A: I don’t think so.

Q:  What do you mean you don’t think so. We did not arrest you of our 
own accord, we arrested you because of the Sultan’s decree. 

A: Everyone knows that.

Q: So then why won’t you answer?

A: I won’t answer because I don’t see any connection between my 
arrest and the questions you are asking.  Because there is nothing that 
commands you to “arrest Tevfik Bey and determine whether or not he 
is a Free Mason!” And that is not going to happen because the Sultan 
is not a dolt like you.  All the foreign statesmen and ambassadors who 
have conversed with the Sultan have confirmed his keen intelligence. 
      
Q: How do you know there’s no connection between the reasons for 
your arrest and the questions?

A: As I just said, the intellect of the Sultan of the world’s Moslems 
would not countenance such a question.

Q: But you know that an examination of your writings has been ordered 
and that the search is being conducted with that aim in mind.  That is 
what we have been charged with doing.

A: What you say is true but I am certain that my arrest and the 
examination of my documents is not based on what you are talking 
about.

Q: In other words,  you think you know why you have been brought 
here.

A: (The head policeman was trying to trap me with this question).  I’m 
not saying that I know why I was brought here, I’m saying that I know 
I wasn’t brought here for the matter you have raised. As I said before, 
no one would be arrested and interrogated for being a Mason but you 
can think whatever you want to.

Q:  But we are asking you whether or not you are a Mason so you have
 to say ‘yes’ or ‘no’.

A:  And what if I ramain silent?

Q: We will make a judgment based on your silence.

A: That’s up to you.

Q: So you are a Mason?

A:  (I was silent).

Q: Why are you remaining silent?

A: That is my preference.

Q: Since you are a member of the “bidayet mahkemesi” ((a primary 
court attached to the Council of State)),  you should view this situation 
in the same way that your court would question a defendant.

A: Individuals  tried in the Council of State’s primary courts are not 
asked questions that do not pertain to the matter under consideration 
and you should do the same.  

Q: You still think that this question is not pertinent to the matter at hand?

A: I don’t think it, I know it.

Q: Yet, your relationship with the Masons is written in a letter sent to 
you by your son from Egypt.

A: Would you please read it aloud?

Q: (the head policeman carefully took my son’s letter out of the pocket 
of his frock coat and read this portion of it:)  “Dear Father, if it is no 
trouble, please have ‘Naturi’ mentioned in your letter to ‘editor Mason’ 
sent directly to Hilvan.” What do you say to this?

A: Nothing to you, but please have the Minister come and join us and 
then you will hear what I have to say.

Q: So you won’t condescend to consider me your collocutor?

A: It’s not that at all.  Since this is a personal letter, I don’t want my 
remarks to be misinterpreted.  That is why I think it is very important to 
have the Minister here or, if he prefers, we can go to him.

Q: Very strange!

A: A person may encounter ‘strange’ things in his personal or his 
official life, so this should not be considered all that unusual.  Most of 
the people that are brought to you for questioning are already 
considered guilty so you expect them to confess when they face you 
so you frame you questions in that light.  That is your big mistake. 
person brought in for questioning ought to be considered innocent and 
treated as such to prevent and avoid mistakes.  What I mean to say is 
that you always consider what a person says to be false so when you 
really want to say ‘Be quiet! You’re lying!” you resort to the more 
polite ‘that’s strange’.  Yet, I didn’t say anything ‘strange’, although 
you took it that way.  This seems to be a habit of yours that I cannot 
change.  Nevertheless, I will not grant to you that I have said anything 
‘strange’, as opposed to intelligent and logical.

After delivering this sermon to the head policeman, however ‘strange’ 
he thought it might be, he couldn’t find anything to say.  Apparently, 
though, the Minister had been listening to this odd exchange from 
behind the door curtain.  As I finished speaking he entered the room.  
Once the Minister sat down I said to him: “Dear Minister! Given that 
my questioning has been ordered by a decree from the Sultan and that 
some of my documents are in French, I ask that you assign a French-
speaker to differentiate between ‘mason’, meaning a wall plasterer, 
and ‘Mason’, referring to the group.  For the past half hour, the head 
policeman has been trying to find out whether or not I am a Free Mason, 
based on a letter my son sent to me from Egypt”.

 “For my part, I am asserting that I know perfectly well that I was not 
brought here to find out whether or not I am a Free Mason, and the 
head policeman knows this better than I do.  Evidently, by inferring 
this Free Mason connection from a single mention in a personal letter, 
he wanted to characterize it as a mischevous group and  thought ‘while 
we have this fellow in custody let’s accuse him of being a Free Mason, 
too.  Even if this charge doesn’t stick, we will have put him under 
suspicion.’”

“In the letter my son sent to me from Egypt, he asked me to have the 
“Mason editor” , the publisher of the nature magazine ‘La Nature’, for 
which I have had a subscription for years, send the magazine to Hilvan 
((near Şanlıurfa)).  As soon as the head policeman saw this, like a thief 
who has come upon a treasure, he posed the question of whether or not 
I am a Free Mason to me.  Of course, when I answered with a mocking 
response he was amazed and upset.  Let me assure you that I will not 
respond to such questions, or I will answer with unexpected remarks.   
Because I did not come here to answer to the idle tales of common 
people and a few concocted imaginings.  I request that you ((Minister)) 
remain here or that you formulate the questions.” 

The Minister, having heard at least some of the preceeding discussion, 
understood the situation and he said to me: “Please excuse the head 
policeman.  The fault lies with me, not him.  In any event, this absurdity 
will not be repeated.”  So this is the ridiculous way that my interrogation 
began.  And despite the Minister’s assurance, the subsequent questioning 
took on an even more laughable tone.  In any case, they said that the 
questioning about these documents was finished and that I would go 
with them in the morning tomorrow, Friday, to my print shop.

 //END of PART TWO, section nine//

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder