26 Şubat 2021 Cuma

TNT History Archives: Ottoman Journalist's Exile on Rhodes & Arrest by Secret Police in Istanbul 20 Years Later/Part 2-7

 //Ed. note: Ebüzziya's interrogation about his papers
continues at the Minister's residence in the Kumkapı
neighborhood of Istanbul.//























1934 map of Kumkapı. Istanbul University-Beyazit is the 
open white area at the top of the map. Sirkeci train station
and the Central Prison are to the east, off this map. 

Having said this, the head policeman explained that it was he who 
ordered these papers to be brought here:  “This mistake is my fault. 
told my fellows to go back to your house this morning to get the papers 
we didn’t have time to look at last night.  They must have thought I 
meant these papers.  In any event, we can enjoy looking at these 
beautiful pictures to give ourselves a break from the others.”   I could 
have counterattacked but to do so would be to give my collocutor more 
importance than he deserved. 

Certainly, he had ordered my arrest and the search of my documents for 
some reason he considered important, evidently to uncover political 
secrets.  Fortunately, though, at this juncture a messenger came to 
whisper something in the Minister’s ear.  The Minister then told me that 
my son Ziya had arrived and he ordered a break in the examination so 
we could chat, adding that “he ((Ziya)) would be distressed to come 
into this room and see all the documents scattered about.  Don’t say 
anything to him that would upset him!”

As we left the room my first intention was to introduce Ziya to the 
Minister.  Rather than as the Minister of Public Security, Nazım Paşa 
greeted my son warmly with the charm and grace that came naturally 
to him, saying: “Your father is like a big brother to me.  So don’t 
worry at all about him being a guest here right now.”  In response, 
Ziya said: “Thank you for your kind words.  But my father ought to 
be with his family and we don’t see any difference between him 
being the state’s guest and a prisoner in jail.  When someone is 
deprived of his freedom, a palace and a dungeon are the same to him.”   
 
I observed my son’s face as he said these words to the Minister and I 
could tell his emotions were running high, as I sensed his rage and 
hatred concerning my situation, which could only be expected.  Yet, 
I was pleased to see that he remained composed and did not expose 
his indignation.

In any case, the Minister excused himself so we could converse, 
although the rest of the group made sure to inch closer to us, hoping 
to overhear some secrets.  But we had nothing to hide so we spoke 
openly:   

 Ziya – how was your night?

Me – I spent it at war with the fleas and rats of the Central Prison.  
And there were also the anguished cries of a insane person for part 
of the time.

Ziya – Wow!  You were in jail overnight?

Me – Why are you so surprised? Wasn’t it you who just told the 
Minister that my being a guest and a prisoner were the same thing? 

Ziya –  No, that’s not why I’m surprised.  I’m amazed that the Minister 
would treat me like a child with this guest fairy tale, after having you 
sleep in the prison.  I know you better than that.  After all, I spent 
nights with you in the dungeon when I was three-years-old.

Me – The Minister wasn’t referring to last night but rather to my current 
situation.  He couldn’t bring himself to say that I’d spent last night in jail.  
Anyway, have the women of the family heard about this?

Ziya –  Of course! In the morning, five or six policemen came to search 
the house in Makriköy ((Bakırköy)). 

Me – perhaps they wanted to do even more damage to the house than 
the earthquake did.  I wish you’d had them remove some of the 
earthquake debris from the upper floor while they were there so they 
wouldn’t have wasted the visit.  What were they looking for  there?

Ziya – The same things they were looking for at Aya Stefanos.

Me – Did they find what they were looking for?

Ziya -  Let me tell you a funny story.  I got the key to your clothes 
closet from my mother and took it to them at Aya Stefanos.  We opened 
the closet and there were Kemal Bey’s letters that you had wrapped in a 
white cloth and put in the closet after we moved them from the other 
house because of the earthquake damage.    A Jewish policeman (1) 
who was looking through your clothes was overjoyed to find these 
letters, thinking that they must be quite important and filled with 
mischief to have been tucked away in the closet like this. 

(      (1) How strange is it that wherever I am a Jew appears!

 

Me – As far as I’m concerned, those letters will disappoint them because 
Kemal’s letters were examined 14 years ago and returned to me then.  In 
fact, the Minister who is now charged with my arrest and interrogation 
was questioned about them at that time. (1)

As we were engaged in this conversation, a waiter brought a tray of tea 
and the Minister returned to the room.  There was still no mention of the 
reason for my arrest and, in fact, they cautioned Ziya not to bring it up.  
Ziya, however, found this recommendation quite strange and said to the 
Minister:

If you want to keep my father’s arrest a secret I suggest that you chastise 
your officials in this regard.  Because since they conducted themselves 
with such pomp and circumstance, there was no one in Aya Stefanos this 
morning who hadn’t heard about it.  In fact, on the train coming here 
today Mr. Marnich, the interpreter at the English embassy, the lawyer 
Mr. Pederelli and maritime official Mr. Dupaliyari asked me about my 
father being taken aboard the freight train last night, together with sacks 
of documents.  They even knew that my father had a chair brought from 
the station coffeehouse for himself to sit on on the freight train. 

     (1) These letters exceeded more than 500 pieces in a thick volume and 
related to our correspondence until his ((probably Namık Kemal, who 
died in 1888)) death.  In any event, Minister of Public Security Nazım Paşa 
deemed them irrelevant to my situation and had them sent to the Ministry.  
After that, though, they disappeared, to the dismay of everyone including 
Nazım Paşa.

 The Minister seemed to be irritated by this discussion and looked askance 
at those charged with arresting me. They, however, countered that they 
were performing their duty carefully and that they would be sure to avoid 
having the matter become gossip among the populace.  At that moment, I 
interjected that “for five or six policemen to come to the small hamlet of 
Aya Stefanos on the evening’s last train, together with a resident of the 
hamlet, and then even cautioning his son not to walk ahead, before 
searching the man’s home for four or five hours and having the man’s 
servant carry two sacks of documents back to the train station is the 
opposite of a cautious approach to the matter.  And then, to essentially 
commandeer a freight train by showing their police passes is not the way 
to prevent gossip from spreading.”

“This is the part I find most odd: if it is necessary to keep this matter 
concerning me close to the vest, that means that you agree that my 
arrest has been executed outside of judicial and legal treatments and 
that you are more concerned with avoiding publicity than the actual 
matter.  But the matter has indeed be exposed and since I am not an 
enemy of the state and have been treated unfairly I’m am not dismayed 
by this, but, rather, quite proud.  This praiseworthy affair ought to be 
broadcast rather than hidden.  Yet, you want my son to answer 
questions about where his father is and why he was arrested by saying 
‘he’s gone on holiday for a few days.’”

The head policeman took offense at my words and, consequently, 
spoke harshly toward me in accusatory tones, prolonging the 
discussion and seemingly wanting to “take it outside” because he was 
so worked up.  But the level-headed Minister took the opportunity to 
change the subject.  In any event, since evening was approaching Ziya 
began to get ready to leave.  Not knowing how long I would have to 
stay, I wanted to give Ziya some money for the family at home and the 
workers at the print shop.  So I put my hand into my pocket for my 
checkbook but it wasn’t there – yesterday on the train I had turned it 
over to the head policemen.  I then asked the Minister to give me my 
checkbook but he was taken aback and quickly said he did not have it.
 
Meanwhile, the head policeman remained silent. So I said to him “last 
evening you took my checkbook from me in order to give it to the 
Minister.  Didn’t you give it to him?”  Flustered, the head policeman 
claimed to have forgotten and took my checkbook out of his pocket.  
Being a stickler for police protocol, the head policeman offered the 
checkbook to the Minister, but Nazım Paşa was incensed by this 
development and angrily ordered the head policeman to give the 
checkbook to me.   I then wrote two checks for Ziya to take with 
him as he departed.

//END of PART TWO, section seven//

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder