washer links to original article
(NTVMSNBC Website and Sözcü Newspaper, 21 February 2012)
Last evening at 8 PM the washing machine - which was plugged in at the
time - exploded with a great noise in a home in Yesilyurt village in Ortaca
district of Muğla while the Altun family - Ramazan (55), wife Ayşe (60),
son Yusuf (36), daughter-in-law Sultan (31) and grandchildren Ramazan
(7), Ayşe (3) and Ibrahim (2 months), were having dinner. Hearing the
noise they looked into the laundry room which was engulfed in flames.
Grandfather Ramazan Altun, who is paralyzed and confined to a wheel-
chair, his wife, daughter-in-law and grandchildren were all evacuated from
the house by son Yusuf Altun, who is a farmer. Yusuf went back into the
house to fight the flames but ultimately had to call in help from the fire
department. Six people were overcome by smoke and had to be taken
by ambulance and neighbors to the Ortaca State Hospital. Yusuf himself
suffered burns on his hand and face while attempting to put out the
blaze and was later taken to the same hospital.
The fire was eventually put out by the firefighters but a portion of the
home was ruined. The Altun family was released after treatment.
Grandfather Ramazan Altun said that 'there was an explosion while we
were having dinner and then flames engulfed the house. The room we
were in was filled with smoke so we opened the windows.'