13 Eylül 2018 Perşembe

TNT History Archives: Letters From a Malta Exile (1919-1921)/Part I

//Ed. Note:  After the British occupied Istanbul in early 1919,
they began arresting Turkish nationalists and intellectuals,
sending them into exile on the island of Malta in the middle
of the Mediterranean Sea.  One of the 144 exiles was Ahmet
Ağaoğlu, originally from Azerbaijan.  His son Samet Ağaoğlu
wrote a book about his father's friends and these letters from
Ahmet Ağaoğlu's Malta exile are included toward the end of
the book.

ahmet ağaoğlu 1920 ile ilgili görsel sonucu

Ahmet Ağaoğlu (Agayev) was born in 1969 in Şuşa, part of 
the Karabagh region of Azerbaijan.  He went to Russian high
schools in Şuşa and Tblisi and attended universities in St. 
Petersburg and France before returning to Azerbaijan filled 
with Islamic and Pan-Turkic  zeal.  He married Sitâre hanım,
the only daughter of the Vezirofs, a leading family of Karabagh. 

While in Paris, Ağaoğlu had become friends with Dr. Nâzım 
and Ahmet Riza, young Turkish intellectuals who eventually 
lured him and his family to Istanbul, where Ağaoğlu flourished
as a Young Turk activist and journalist, now opposed to Islam 
and Ottomanism and a strong anti-Russian proponent of 
secularism and Pan-Turkism.  As an advisor, he accompanied 
Nuri Paşa, the commander of the ‘Kafkas İslam Ordusu’ 
(Ottoman Turkey’s ‘Caucasus Islamic Army’) and brother of 
 Enver Paşa, to Azerbaijan in the closing months of World War I
(Summer-Fall 1918).

Once Ağaoğlu returned from Azerbaijan to Istanbul, in December 
1918, the city was awaiting imminent  British occupation.  Like 
many other intellectuals and members of the Ittihat ve Terakki 
Cemiyeti (Committee of Union and Progress) government, he was 
rounded up at the behest of the occupying British in March 1919 
and put first into Bekirağa Bölümü, a military prison on the 
campus of Istanbul University in the Beyazit section of Istanbul.  
Court martials began for the prisoners and Ağaoğlu was suddenly
transferred from Bekirağa Bölümü to the Arabian Han, a British-
controlled jail. 

malta sürgünleri ile ilgili görsel sonucu
1- Atıf Bey,  2- Muammer Bey,    3- Zekeriya Bey,  4- Rıza Bey (Bursa 
mebusu)  5- Rıza Bey,   6- Midhat Şükrü Bey,  7- Sudi Bey,  8-Şükrü Bey,
9-Tahsin Bey,   10- Tevfik Hadi Bey,  11-Sabri Bey,   12- Ali İhsan Paşa,
13- Memduh Bey, 14- Asım Bey,  15- Halil Sezai Bey, 16-Ziya Gökalp,
17- Hacı Adil Bey, 18- Halil Menteş, 19- Ahmet Ağayef Bey (Ağaoğlu), 
20- Ahmet  Nesimi Bey,   21- Sabit Bey,  22- İzmitli Rifat Efendi,  
23- Fevzi Bey,   24- Binbaşı Nevzat Bey,    25- Ahmet Bey,  26- Macit Bey,
27- Binbaşı Hazım Bey,   28- Midhat Akif Bey, 29- Ferit Bey,  
30- İbrahim Bey, 31- Şükrü Kaya Bey, 32- Hüseyin Cahit Bey,  
33- Salah Cimcoz Bey


Ahmet Ağaoğlu’s son Samet Ağaoğlu, himself a famous Turkish 
poet, wrote about seeing his father on the deck of ship at anchor 
near Kız Kulesi, off the coast of Üsküdar, standing next to Ziya 
Gökalp, the famous Turkish intellectual and Pan-Turkism proponent.
The ship headed for Malta with 78 prisoners on 28 May  1919 but 
first dropped off 12 of them, including Ağaoğlu and Gökalp, at 
Limni/Mondros Island in the northern Aegean Sea.  After two 
months there, Ağaoğlu was transported to Malta, as was Gökalp,
for the duration of his exile, which ended in April 1921.

The end of the Malta exile was facilitated by an agreement between 
the Kemalist governnment and the British, signed in London on 
16 March 1921, whereby British prisoners held by the Kemalist 
government were swapped for the Turkish Malta exiles.  The British
had orignally intended to put the Turks on trial and execute some of
them.  However, Mustafa Kemal’s threat to execute the British 
prisoners he held if any of the Turkish exiles were executed prompted
the British to accede to the swap.

Returning to Istanbul, Ağaoğlu took a ship to İnebolu on the central
Black Sea coast and from there made his way to Ankara to meet 
Mustafa Kemal (later Atatürk) and to join in the Turkish War of 
Independence effort. 

Herewith, Ağaoğlu’s letters to his wife from Malta, beginning with 
one from her to him, excerpted from the end of Samet Ağaoğlu’s book 
“Babamın Arkadaşları” (My Father’s Friends)://

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

polverista malta 1920 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
Some of the Turkish exiles in Malta.

                                                                                   19 February 1920
“My Dear Ahmet;
                Thank God, I’ve received a letter from you.  We are all fine, 
except that we miss you.  May God give this matter a favorable ending.
  The children are all well.  Today was mail day and I was so happy to 
get one from you because when I do it’s like talking with you.  May 
God send you quickly to us.  I saw you in my dream last night, which 
made me very happy.  May God keep you well over there.  Kerim and
Emir beys send their regards to you.  They are helping us, too, so
don’t  worry about us.  Give my regards to Esat Paşa (eye doctor Esat
Paşa) and Ziya Bey (Ziya Gökalp).  Their wives are well.  We’re
getting together. I kiss your eyes and your face.  What more can I
write.”

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

                                                             Malta: Polveriste: 17 May 1920

“My Dear Sitâre and (his sister) Hamay!

                It’s been two weeks since I received a letter from you.  I’m
 certain that they (authorities) are screening our letters and sometimes
 yours, too.  What’s their aim, I wonder?  Are they trying to annoy us
 mentally and disrupt our morale?  Why should you be subjected to 
this undeserved treatment?  If their goal is to crush our morale then, 
of course, they will never succeed because we trust in our rights and 
in justice.  God willing, one day that right and justice will come to 
fruition.  Our duty is  to remain patient and forbearing until then.  
Based on what I’m hearing from Istanbul, it’s enough for me to try 
to picture the difficulties and problems you are experiencing there!  
When I think about it I just about go crazy.  How are you getting by?
What are you doing?  Have Hüseyin (his brother) and Bahış (his 
nephew) been trying to help you?  The news coming from the 
Caucasus indicates that any hope of them coming (to Istanbul) is 
fading fast.  If they haven’t come by now, they won’t be able to come
henceforth.  What will you do then?  This is the question that bothers
me the most.  Are you talking with Abdülali Bey?  In any case, for 
the love of God, let me know in detail about  your situation and how 
you are getting by. Have each of the children write me a letter. I 
haven’t gotten letters from Abdurrahman and Süreyya for quite some 
time.  As for me, you can be absolutely sure that I’m well and safe, 
thank God.  Give me best to all friends and acquantances and cousins.
I kiss all of your eyes.”


                                                              Malta: Polverista: 27 May 1920

“My Dear Sitâre and Humay!

                Again, after your letter of 4 May, I have had no word from 
you. Today was mail day and we all ran to get our mail but, alas, I was
among those who came up empty-handed.  Although some of the 
fellows got mail, others didn’t.  I’m certain your sending me mail with
each opportunity!  But what can we do?  They’re looking at our mail
and I’m sure they’re doing the same thing to you.  But we will wait 
them out!  

With trust in God and fortitude,  we will wait expectantly for God’s 
actions concerning our fate.  We will never be saddened by this unjust 
fate that has befallen us, no matter the amount of insults and oppression 
we face!  We must never forget that our duty is to bear all of this with 
fortitude and perseverance!  My health and safety are just fine here, 
thank God.  My thoughts are all with you.  The news from the Caucasus
indicates that there is no hope of Hüseyin being able to come (to 
Istanbul) henceforth.  Only God can help you now!  Your situation is 
naturally making me excessively vexed and pained.  But I’m consoling
myself with the hope that patience and forbearance will keep us together.
Have the children finished their exams?  How are you all doing?  How
are you spending Ramazan?  God willing, with Ramazan’s blessing all 
of us who are unjustly treated will be assuaged.   If you haven’t gotten 
any money from Hüseyin, please don’t hesitate to go ahead and sell 
whatever you have.  Let me know in detail what your situation is.  Why
have you stopped sending me letters?  The others here are getting them.
I kiss your and the children’s faces. If the children have finished their 
tests have each of them write me a separate letter.  More kisses and 
regards.”      

Gran Prigione, Slaves' Prison.jpeg
Polverista (powder magazine) Prison in Valletta, Malta.

                                                    Malta: Polverista: 21 November 1920

“My Dear Sitâre and Humay!

Although the happy news coming from near and far doesn’t 
completely assuage my pain and homesickness, it does lighten
the burden somewhat and gives a person comfort and hope in
bearing up under the increasing weight of this long separation!
So let things continue like this and in the end the God of the
Turks will open up the doors of compassion, consider these 
tests to be sufficient, bestow His special goodness and then we
will be on our way.  In any case, of what importance are we? 
 He is the real great one!   Let Him determine the future and 
everything will be put in place.  Today was like a Spring  day! 
 The sun was shining, the air was clean and fresh to the extent 
that taking a breath was a renewing experience.  Toward evening
 I went to a small hill opposite us: it was completely green, with 
even some yellow flowers in a few places.  Do you know what I 
saw at the very top of the hill?  There were prisoners like me who
 had brought tea that they were drinking as they sat on the green 
grass.  Of course, they invited me to join them!  You must know 
what a thrill it was for me to have that cup of tea: my mind went
 far back to the days of my youth in Karabagh, to the beautiful 
mountains of that fortress,  to “Başıyüce”, “Taşaltı”, “Haydar 
düzü”, “Şahneşi” and “Deliktaş”.  I was roaming there once again.
The entire past, all relatives, friends, our house, our streets, our 
gardens – each one passed in front of me! Then, though, I thought
of you and your current situation, which so saddened me!  All of 
this happened in 3 minutes and I chuckled, remembering that life
 is but a dream.  With so much time passing and the distance 
involved – will these days pass, will we ever see each other again?
Certainly we will reunite, we will talk and, God willing, soon, 
because the time has come for justice to show itself!  My best 
regards to all friends and acquaintances.  What’s happened about 
the house?  I kiss all of your eyes and hope that we will meet soon,
God willing.”

malta turkey map ile ilgili görsel sonucu

                                   Malta, Polverista: 29 November 1920

                “My Dear Sitâre and Humay!

                As I write this letter the weather outside is as nice as a
 day in the month of May.  The yellow flowers on the hill opposite
 me have blossomed and everywhere there is greenery.  I was on the
 balcony a moment ago watching the ships in the harbor and thinking
 of you.  I said to myself, wouldn’t it be nice for one of those ships to
 take me to you so I could see the lovely faces I have been denied 
seeing for two years because of this very unjust, very cruel separation!

 As I was dreaming this, Fahri Paşa, the hero of Yemen, said to me 
from the head of the balcony ‘Ahmet Bey, what are you thinking?  
 Are you feeling bad?’  In reply, I said ‘Ah Paşa, is there anyone 
among us who doesn’t feel bad?  It’s just that some us of feel worse 
on some days and today seems to be my day to feel bad!’  This is a 
characteristic of being a prisoner.  Some people feel a terrific  sadness 
and grief that engenders longing, even without knowing  the reasons 
for it.  He turns his eyes toward his loved ones and wants to be with 
them so desperately.  At such a time, when one writes down these 
feelings it’s as if he’s relieved of them and he feels better.  Today is 
mail day, when I’ll feel as though you’re sitting across from me and 
talking with me!  But only on the condition that you don’t feel bad!  
You can be sure that my health is good and I don’t have any particular 
worry, other than missing you so much.  God willing, this too will 
soon pass, in any case.  God willing, we will be saved together with
our entire country  and all will be set right.  I only ask from God that,
until that time, He gives both you and I the patience and health we 
need.  I await detailed news about your situation. This year the winter
 in Istanbul has been very severe.  How are you getting along?  
However much Humay and the girls write consoling words on this 
subject, I suspect that these words have been written for my benefit!
What’s happened about the house?  My regards to all friends and 
acquaintances and especially to Kerim and Emir Beys.  I kiss all of
 your eyes.”


//END PART I//

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder