6 Kasım 2018 Salı

TNT History Mini-Series: Selahattin's Diary (1933-1934)/Part VII

//Ed. Note:  During October and the first half of 
November 1933, Selahattin awaited word about
his university acceptance (he got in).  The big
event was the 10th anniversary Republic Day 
celebrations on 29 and 30 October. 

Interestingly, no mention or reference to Cemile 
at all. Stay tuned.//


cumhuriyet bayramı tokat 1930 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
Celebrating Republic Day in Tokat, October 1931.

                                                 October

Tuesday, 3 October 1933
For the past three days I’ve been writing in the office.  
Since my mother went to Tokat today I’m taking care of 
the orchard.  I hung out with Hilmi until evening.

Thursday, 5 October 1933
My father and I stayed in Tokat in the evening and went to 
see the Military Music Group’s theater.  We had a nice time.
At midnight we headed for the orchard, with me walking 
and my father riding the donkey.

Friday, 6 October 1933
I read the last installment of “Gül Hanım”.  For a while, I 
stayed in the little mansion with my nephew Kemal.

Saturday, 7 October 1933
In the evening I stayed in Tokat and went to the movies at
around eight thirty.  “Feci Dakika” and “Sefiller Gemisi” 
were playing.   Both were good.

Saturday, 14 October 1933
For the past 6 days I’ve been waiting excitedly for the order.  
Today, since my patience was gone, my father sent a 
telegram  to Rıza Bey.  When will the answer come?

Saturday, 21 October 1933
In the morning Hilmi, Cemal and Lütfi went to Ankara.  I 
still have not received any word so we wrote a second 
telegram today.

Wednesday, 25 October 1933
We moved from the orchard to Tokat.  In the evening I 
went to the movies with my father.  It was pretty good.

Thursday, 26 October 1933
Today pharmacist Rıza Bey and Nuri Bey left for Ankara.  
My last hope rests with them.  They promised to let me 
know what my situation is via telegram.

Friday, 27 October 1933
In the morning, while I was still in bed, the postman brought
this telegram: “registration is certain but registration has not
started yet. Rıza”  Now I started to get happy and I lost the 
frown I’ve been showing for two days.

Saturday, 28 October 1933
My father received a letter from Abdüllatifzade Kemal 
Efendi.  In the letter he said that he and Rıza Bey had the 
telegram written.   I went to the theater in the evening.  They
performed a 3-act comedy by Hüseyin Rahmi Bey entitled 
“Van Gölü”.  It was very good.  They also did two other 
comedy acts.  After that the theater women performed a 
nice play.  We left at midnight.

  tokat fotoÄŸrafları 1930 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
Republic Day Celebrations in Niksar, Tokat 1930s.

Sunday, 29 October 1933
 After I got dressed in the morning I went to the Halk Evi 
with the hoja’s son Halil. We each took a signboard, got 
in line and went to the Municipal Building.  The holiday 
was very nice.  In the afternoon there were foundations
inaugurated for three elementary schools, the governor’s 
house and a hospital.  Then, the official ceremonies were 
held at the Army gas facility.  The Paşa and the Governor 
were there.  Sacrifices were slaughtered and speeches made.


Monday, 30 October 1933
At noon there was a match between Gençlerbirliği and the 
military team at the barracks field.  There was also a new 
show by mounted villagers and some village wrestlers 
wrestled.  Here are the details of the races: an officer won
 the 150-meter run.  In the endurance run five times around 
the Army field a soldier named Bekir Efendi came in first 
and another soldier named Farid Efendi came in second.  
Actually, all those who participated in the race were soldiers.

In the triple-jump, Lütfi was first at 11.80 meters, second 
was Behcet at 11.74, and third was İsmail (a soldier) at 
11.60 meters.  The soldiers participated in the sack race, 
which was quite funny.

In the long-jump, Lütfi jumped 5.40 and İsmail 5.10.  
Gençlerbirliği won the flag run. As for the football match
between Gençlerbirliği and the soldiers, the soldiers won 
with a goal they made in the first half.

In wrestling, Mehmed won the title.


Tuesday, 31 October 1933
Because I was so tired today I didn’t roam around much 
at all.  In the evening I played cards with my friends.

 tokat fotoÄŸrafları 1930 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
Atatürk in Turhal, Tokat, on 22 November 1930.

                                             November


Wednesday, 1 November 1933
A letter came from Rıza Bey today.  He wrote that this 
year 50-60 people will be accepted for medical school this
year but that up to now only 25 people have been called.  
It’s now 100% certain that I’ll go to school.  According to 
what Rıza Bey wrote, the school may be opened in a month.
In other words I’ll be able to take advantage of the holiday
discounts.  In any case, I will go to school.


Thursday, 2 November 1933
 In the evening I went to the movies with my father. 
 “Şeytani Kuş” was playing. Not bad.


Friday, 3 November 1933
In the evening I went for a walk toward the bridge, through
the wooded area.


Saturday, 4 November 1933
I read Hüseyin Rahmi’s novel “Cehennemlik” until noon.  
In the afternoon, I went for a walk like I did yesterday. After
dinner in the evening my father said to my mother “Let me
take you to Samsun for a few days.”  Let’s see if he really 
does take her there.  My father and I went to the cinema at 
night.  Hanri Pil’s “Mesleksizleri” was playing.  It was a 
very good film.


Sunday, 5 November 1933
In the morning my father, mother and Solmaz went to 
Samsun.  I worked in the office until evening with my 
brother-in-law.  After dinner I went to the Yüksek coffee
house.


Wednesday, 8 November 1933
After eating, I ran into my parents when I went to check 
on the bus.  The returned from Samsun but didn’t bring us 
anything.  I went to the cinema at night and saw an play 
called “Bir Nokta Yüzünden”, which was quite good.


Thursday, 9 November 1933
In the evening I went to the movies with my father. We saw
 “Cambazhane Çocuğu”. It was so-so.


Friday, 10 November 1933
I spent the day at the Yüksek coffee house.  My older sister
and her family came in the evening.  I went to the theater 
with my brother-in-law and we saw a 3-act play called 
“Gül”.  It was pretty good.


Saturday, 11 November 1933
Muhammed Bey gave me a letter from Hilmi.  According 
to what he wrote, they’ve begun classes.  My father and I 
went to the movies in the evening and saw “Sekiz Kısımlık
Çelik Kalenin Esrarı”.


Monday, 13 November 1933
In the evening we went to the Halk Evi, where my father 
and his friends sang “düm tekle” songs.


Tuesday, 14 November 1933
The cinema was free of charge in the evening.  There were 
two parts about a football championship, which were quite 
good, and the feature film was “Fakir Milyoner”, which I’d
seen twice in Sivas.


Wednesday, 15 November 1933
 n the morning I went to the bath in the square and got a 
good scrubbing.  In the afternoon, I went to the cemetery with
grandpa Solmaz, my grandmother and my nanny.  From there
we went to visit my younger grandmother.  Then we came 
home and dropped of Solmaz.  My nanny and I went to my 
mother’s family’s graves.

 tokat fotoÄŸrafları 1930 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
                                 Tokat 1919


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder