11 Kasım 2018 Pazar

TNT History Mini-Series: Selahattin's Diary (1933-1934)/Part XIII

//Ed. Note: Selahattin had his final exams in 
June and worried that he might have to stay
in Istanbul. By the skin of his teeth, he passed
physics and made arrangements to return to 
Tokat via the Black Sea for the summer in 
early July.

A highlight of the June was seeing Atatürk
and the visiting Shah of Iran, once in Gülhane
Park and a second time on Büyükada.

Cemile goes unmentioned but thoughts of her
will return in the diary's remaining months.//



atatürk iran şahı istanbul 1934 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
Selahattin saw Atatürk and the visiting Shah of Iran
twice in late June. 


                                                     June

Friday, 1 June 1934
It’s 4 days until the botany exam.  I haven’t done 
anything for 3 days but I started to study today.  Because
I haven’t prepared well for this exam I’m afraid I might
have to make it up.  Hopefully, that won’t happen.


Tuesday, 5 June 1934
 We took the botany test today.  There were 11 people in
our room.  I got the following questions: karyokinesis 
separation, the difference between ?tortur?, osmotin and 
?kiminbohim?, what is colloid and actions in botany.  I 
wrote all four of them well.  In the afternoon we went to 
the Şark Cinema.  “Dudaktan Gönüle”, in particular, was 
good.


Wednesday, 6 June 1934
We went to see Namık in the afternoon and chatted with
him until evening.  I got a letter from my father in the
evening.  The weather is very hot.  I’m neglecting my 
studies.  Let’s see what I do.


Wednesday, 13 June 1934
We’ll have our chemistry test tomorrow.  I’ve studied 
hard but it’s easy to forget what you’ve learned.  In the
afternoon, Şemsi and I reviewed more than half the 
questions in the reading room. 


Thursday, 14 June 1934
After studying in the university garden in the morning, 
we went to the faculty.  I resumed the botany test for where
I left off.  The examiner was Remziye hanım and there was 
a woman I didn’t know, along with a girl who graduated 
from botany this year.  My questions were iron, 
phosphorusamidites, chloral and botan?diyol?.  I wrote them
all right away.  I think I’ll get a passing grade.  In the 
afternoon I went to the Helal Cinema, where 
“?Jeplinin Gülamı?” and “Öldüren Adam” were playing. 
 Not bad.

I wrote a letter to my parents.  In the afternoon 5 of us 
went to Yenikapı and rode rowboats.  For the first time
I bathed in the sea but I almost drowned.  Swallowing 
salt water makes one very anxious.


Monday, 18 June 1934
I sent my parents a letter and the hometown document.  
In the evening the list was posted about those who won’t
have to make up classes.  Let’s see what happens.  I’ll feel 
very badly if I have to make-up.

 tıp fakultesi öğrencileri istanbul üniversitesi 1930 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
Atatürk visiting IU on 3 July 1933.

Thursday, 21 June 1934
I studied physics non-stop.  Today we had the test in the
philosophy room.  My questions were: ultraviolet, 
description  of perfect gas, branches of optics, and the
laws of radiation.  I wrote nonsense about ultraviolet and
although I did well on the others, I’m afraid I won’t get 
a passing grade.  I’ll be ashamed in front of my parents 
and I won’t see her on vacation.


Saturday, 23 June 1934
The zoology marks were posted today and I got 8.75.  
It would have been okay even if I’d gotten 6.  I hope I 
pass physics.


Monday, 25 June 1934
The chemistry marks were posted and I got 7.  There 
are two more classes remaining and I hope I passed both
of them.  I got a letter from my father.   He had the 
hometown document validated and included it in the 
letter.  He has also sent me travel money.

 atatürk iran ÅŸahı istanbul 1934 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
Atatürk and the Shah of Iran in Istanbul, June 1934.

Tuesday, 26 June 1934
Today the Shah of Iran and Gazi (Mustafa Kemal) came 
to Istanbul.  We waited at Gülhane Park until 4 o’clock.
When they got in the car we ran toward it shouting 
“Long Live!”.


Wednesday, 27 June 1934
I got my travel money from the post office.  In the 
morning I paid about 2 liras for a book and an album.


Friday, 29 June 1934
In the morning Mehmed, Şemsi and I went to the island
and had a fun day there until evening.  We went in the 
water around noon.  Toward evening the Shah and Gazi
came to the island and we saw them one more time.


Saturday, 30 June 1934
There was a light show on the sea in the evening.  We 
boarded a small ferry and sailed around for two hours,
viewing the Yavuz, the Adatepe and other ships that were
all decorated with stars.



                                              July

Monday, 2 July 1934
Finally, I found out that I got 6.5 in botany.  Still no word
on physics.  Let’s see what happens.  Half of the papers 
that have been read are being held for oral exams.  What 
will I do?  If I have to stay for an oral exam I’m in a bad 
situation.


Saturday, 7 July 1934
Just about everyone from our dorm has had their physics
paper read.  The lastest ones read all passed.  I’ll wait here 
until ten thirty, when the numbers will be posted.  If what I 
fear happens I’m in trouble.  With this in mind, on Tuesday
I wrote my father a letter.  Now they’re wondering what’s 
happening.  If I find out I passed I’ll send a telegram right 
away.  If I have to have an oral exam I’ll definitely have to 
stay here till September.  Three months  as a prisoner in the
 dorm would be horrible. 


(the same day at noon) The list was posted and when I saw
I was among those who passed 349, I ran to the post office
and sent a telegram.  Tevfik insisted, so I had my 
documents prepared for departure tomorrow.  I’ll be in 
Tokat in 4-5 days. 

istanbul vapur iskelesi 1930 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
Selahattin booked passage on a Black Sea ferry
for his return to Tokat via Samsun.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder