18 Şubat 2019 Pazartesi

TNT Matchbox Diary: A Turkish POW in Russian Prison Camp (1915-1918)/Part XXVI

//Ed. Note: Fuad Bey continues his train ride to where? 
This leg is Moscow-Yaroslavl.  More class warfare 
between the Turkish officers made for some regrettable
incidents.//

moscow yaraslov map ile ilgili görsel sonucu


17 May 1916 Wednesday
We halted for quite a while in the morning at the Korap station. There 
was nothing here. We moved  ahead quite a ways and in mid-afternoon 
we reached Ryazan station. We stayed for a long time. It’s quite big and 
beautiful. My friends went outside. There are about 400 Laz here 
involved in trade and we spoke with them. They’re probably civilian 
prisoners. They also told us that Erzurum has been taken and that the 
Austrians have seized Besarabia. The Russians are in trouble. This
 place is ?mafur?.  Toward evening we crossed two rivers, one 300 
meters wide and the other somewhat smaller. These are probably 
branches of the Volga. The rail line is double track. Along the roads 
many girls and young women are working. The terrain is broad with
 no sign of any mountains. There are some slight rises, low ridges. 
Meadows all around. During the night we passed many stations.

18 May 1916 Thursday
When I woke up the train was moving ahead but stopping for long 
stays at the stations we came to. Toward noon our train stopped a 
bit beyond Uhreşiskaya station, one of the perimeter stations about 
six or seven kilometers from Moscow. There are quite a few roads
here and the place we stopped at was broad and remote except for a 
hospital and an eating place some ways ahead of us on the left. We 
waited here quite a while and got the feeling that we would be 
moved from Moscow to another place (despite having heard that 
we would stay in Moscow) and this is what happened. 

Today there was a very deplorable incident.  The majors among us 
alerted the Russians for no good reason that there were many officer 
candidates and junior officers. They separated 15, who then grumbled 
at the majors. In fact a captain tried to rape a rather handsome junior 
officer named Halil Ibrahim. When he complained they had him
removed, saying he was an officer candidate. This matter was made 
known to the Russian officers who then viewed us with amazement. 
I got very angry and we were very embarrassed because we had been 
shamed. This whole problem was caused by Major Murad, Mehmet 
and Çerkez Mehmet. How shameful to torment one another under the,
eyes of the enemy!...regrettable! …as if the officer candidates were 
robbing the treasury!...scandal!... after these officer candidates were
removed the rest of the officers were separated into three groups. 
Unfortunately, I fell into the biggest group, the one with the majors. 
A the cafeteria they wrote down our names and we filled
out the cards they gave us with our names and particulars. These will 
be sent to Turkey, apparently. In the evening we went to the railcars 
in groups but our railcars had changed. I was able to get a second-
class place for myself but I left to break up an argument between 
Şerif and Zühdü. So again I went back to the fourth-class railcar for 
soldiers. I was a bit sick today We ate at the cafeteria for 17 kopeks 
but it was nondescript and common. Most of the fellows who were
identified as officer candidates were in fact junior officers. As the 
result of today’s scandal the Russians promised to treat the officer 
candidates as officers. (The train moved late in the night).
We didn’t see Moscow.

19 May 1916 Friday
When we got up in the morning our train was near one of the stations 
on the outskirts of Moscow. During the night and toward morning it 
made quite a few maneuvers. After daybreak the train continued to 
move forward for certain. I felt a little worse today I have no appetite 
and a high fever. I was very cold during the night and at the same time
the activities of the fleas made me quite uncomfortable. I’m asking 
God for health. 

In the morning when we departed a Russian sergeant guarding us 
gave us each six rubles as a four-day allowance. Because I didn’t feel 
well I couldn’t  look outside.  I just lay down and slept. When I got 
cold I woke up. There are no mountains here and the rises are 
insignificant. Almost all around there are flatlands and meadows.
Both the ridges and the rises are only slightly inclined. Our direction 
is mostly east and north. Today the terrain is full of trees and groves,
more correctly it’s a mid-size forest. A little after Aleksandirov 
station evening fell. The forest we saw continued on until morning. 
Hereabouts the nights don’t last longer than six hours. The redness 
of sunset continues until dawn. I couldn’t sleep tonight because I 
was afraid I’d get cold. I watched the fellows playing games. In the
morning we were at Ruşu and Aruslavki station. Prior to coming 
here, about 15 kilometers back on our right there was a river. The 
railroad is double track.

A Bridge at the Volga River

20 May 1916 Saturday
After we waited for a long time at the Ruşu and Aruslavki station we 
finally moved. A bit later I got really cold. When I woke up my chest 
hurt badly and I noticed that I had a bad cough. When I coughed my 
lungs practically came up to my mouth and there was phlegm. I felt 
badly that I had not looked after my health. One must be alert to health 
on a 20-day long rail trip. The reason for my ill health was that I hadn’t 
eaten hot food. Due to the lack of necessities I wasn’t able to protect 
myself from the cold I experienced after Rostov. Near mid-afternoon 
we came to Yaroslavl station and remained for four or five hours. This 
place appears to be very big and orderly. We saw a number of military 
barracks where many soldiers were being trained. There’s a tramway
but they wouldn’t  let us tour around. After four or five hours we left 
here and a bit later we went over a large bridge that crosses the Volga 
River. There were lots of fishermen along the river bank. The river here 
is about 500 meters wide and at the station we came to after crossing 
the Volga River the officer candidate group was separated. The terrain 
is flat but there are trees and forests all around. There are thousands of 
wood piles at the stations we came to. Again at night I couldn’t
sleep. I played a bit during the night. The nights are quite short.

//END of PART XXVI//

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder