27 Şubat 2019 Çarşamba

TNT Matchbox Diary: A Turkish POW in Russian Prison Camp (1915-1918)/Part XXX

//Ed. Note: Fuad Bey is lucky he's not back at the front.
He a captive but living pretty well for the moment in
Vetluga, studying Russian and having a local tailor
make him some new pants.// 

vetluga russia ile ilgili görsel sonucu
                   St. Catherine Church in Vetluga today.


7 June 1916 Wednesday
The weather is nice, hot. Until late afternoon I worked with Şerif on the
Russian book. Russian grammatical rules are annoying. Halis and I 
went to the garden to walk around but we had an argument over 
something I said in jest without thinking. Anyway, Halis is nothing 
more than a child. In fact, a bit after we quarreled he came up to me 
and scolded me excitedly as a child would. But I was disturbed by one 
thing and that was he told me yesterday that he’s been thinking night 
and day about his father and his wife of just one week Zıya having 
suffered a calamity. He told me about a few more of his problems, as 
well. Yes! I found myself in the wrong because I had said something 
unintended that upset this troubled child. Because I had amplified the 
troubles of this child by doing what I did. Nevertheless, I’m able to 
comfort myself and I didn’t really feel  that bad since the problem had 
arisen unintentionally.

8 June 1916 Thursday
The weather is nice, hot. I went to see Şerif before noon but we didn’t 
work. In the afternoon I wrote my father a letter on the cards given to 
us prisoners. I advised him about my good health and told them not to
worry. I asked him if possible to send me Russian, French and German
dictionaries, a few readers, a novel and three of my latest photographs. 
I gave him my address here (in Russian). May God see that it reaches 
him. At night we talked until dawn.

9 June 1916 Friday
The weather is nice. Mosquitoes are active. I went to see Şerif in the 
morning and we worked on Russian a bit. After lunch we fell into a 
discussion and played some games. Here’s some news: the Germans 
have sunk a battleship in the North Sea carrying the English Defense 
Minister and the General Staff, who all drowned. The journal 
newspapers wrote this approvingly. Then they wrote that the Turks 
have advanced to the Kusur Pass. Apparently, the Kusur Pass is near 
the highest mountain four or five hours beyond Evlit. Very good. 

In the evening we discussed Zühdü’s marital problem. The poor young 
fellow is beside himself about entering this new life. Marriage is not 
such a bad thing but there are some possible problems while he’s in 
captivity. This is all related to the secretary’s grown-up daughter. But 
Zühdü hasn’t yet been able to make a definite decision.

10 June 1916 Saturday
In the morning a noise shook our surroundings. Everyoe who was 
sleeping got up in an outrage. The problem: Captain Hakkı and Osman
 had an argument about a missing spoon. The Captain’s ill manners 
and impoliteness in both words and actions fanned the flames. 
Nevertheless, the real reason was not clear. In the evening the 
committee and all of us gathered. Salah of the committee first 
requested that such a noise in the morning, which disturbed 
everyone, not happen again. Then Osman wanted assurance to prove 
he was in the right because of the insult he suffered from Hakkı. The
Captain was without grounds on all points and he apologized with a 
confession of wrongdoing to Osman. He was admonished not to let 
something like this happen again and the meeting adjourned. 

The tailor brought my suit today but because the pants weren’t quite 
right he took it back. With great difficulty I found five rubles and gave
them to the tailor. I asked him to bring back the remaining parts 
tomorrow. The tailor made the suit for 15 rubles. When I came to 
Vetluga I had just 35 rubles (although I had sold my army jacket
to Fahri for five rubles). I spent 20 rubles on material. I spent some 
money on other things I needed. Of course I don’t have much money 
and consequently it’s insufficient.  When I asked Kör Mehmet to lend
me some money he said he didn’t have any but just a few days ago 
he said that he did. When it comes to money no one is willing, honest,
loyal or true to his word. Again we went to sleep late.

11 June 1916 Sunday
Today I feel like I’ve got a high fever. Even when I resting I perspire. 
In the morning the tailor brought my pants but the space between the 
legs is still not right. Fortunately, I was able to find five rubles to give 
to the tailor. The weather is gloomy. In the afternoon it rained for a
few hours and the weather got cool. The mosquitoes are gone. I went 
to see Şerif again in the afternoon and we worked on Russian. At this 
time a ferry (like the ones on the Golden Horn) was passing on the 
river. The Russians take good advantage of the rivers. Zühdü today 
said that I’ve lost weight. He advised me not to think so much and 
not worry about anything, just live care-free. Osman related some 
things in the evening. We passed the time.

12 June 1916 Monday
The weather is cloudy again and in spite of the relative coolness the 
mosquitoes are active.  In the afternoon I went to see Şerif again and 
we worked a bit. Today I wrote down Russian verbs that I got from 
Hakkı (regular army junior officer, captured n May 1331 (1915)) and I
learned grammar, as well. After chatting at night, I went to bed. The 
nights are odd here. During the day the sun heads south and west from
 the point where it rises, at a curve of approximately 27 degrees. At 
night 90. Since the sun doesn’t go away after it sets there’s always 
some light. Dawn and pre-dawn blend together. Today I wrote a letter
to First Lieutenant Zıya, who I know from the War College, from our
regiment.  He has gone to Chukhloma camp. Will the letter get to him?
I  don’t know.

kostroma russia map ile ilgili görsel sonucu
Chukhloma camp was located about 200 kilometers
west of Vetluga.

//END of PART XXX//


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder