25 Şubat 2019 Pazartesi

TNT Matchbox Diary: A Turkish POW in Russian Prison Camp (1915-1918)/Part XXIX

//Ed. Note:  Sodomy is the distasteful topic of discussion
in Fuad Bey's house.  The inmates try to establish order
among themselves and set up a committee.// 

vetluga ile ilgili görsel sonucu
              The old sinema building in Vetluga today.


1 June 1916 Friday
When I woke up I heard some things. The Russian Commander had 
seen Burhan while he was passing  by our house. Burhan was busy at 
the time so he didn’t notice the Commander. Because of this the 
Commander sent the sergeant who was with him at he time and who 
is one of the noteables in Vetluga to tell us that the Commander was 
very angry  but that this time he would excuse Burhan. However, he 
said that from now on if an official salute is not given the offender
will be jailed for 20 days, in accordance with Russian law. Since today
is a Russian holiday every place is closed. Our fellows had a very
vulgar discussion all about sodomy. Disrespectful words particularly 
about the young fellows among us and the relatively handsome ones
…how shameful! How could this talk become an officer! We played 
some poker tonight and I got annoyed. The weather was a bit better 
than yesterday.

2 June 1916 Friday
When we awoke we found the weather to be quite nice. The sun 
was shining but there was a chill. An old Russian tailor came to our 
house and I gave him the gray broadcloth I bought. He took 
measurements. It will be done this week. Saffet, Burhan and I 
decided to ask Osman once again to give us lessons in German at 
convenient times, because Osman knows six languages (French,
English, Italian, German, Arabic and Turkish). Saffet will ask Osman 
and we are hopeful because Osman is good-hearted. 

News:  the Russian are in trouble and have pulled back to their 
original positions. The Turks are being heavily reinforced  with 
Germans and Austrians heading for Selonika , where the French 
and English have retreated.  This made us happy. It was written in
a Russian newspaper that Istanbullu Hakkı translated. I went to bed 
at midnight.

3 June 1916 Saturday
The weather is nice. I went into the garden to take advantage of both 
the weather and the beauty of spring so evident here but  the terror of 
the mosquitoes from the nearby swamps drove me back inside. We 
saw many rafts passing on the Vetluga River today, carrying large 
loads of wood for transport to other places. The Russians take good 
advantage of their rivers. Today the senior majors group that had put 
a stain on Turkishness in Moscow and which had generated incidents
that made the Russians laugh at us, came for a visit. But they weren’t 
ashamed at all. But we showed them proper hospitality anyway. Again 
today I heard that the Russians have pulled back to their original lines.

 vetluga ile ilgili görsel sonucu
                                Vetluga River bank today.

4 June 1916 Sunday
As soon as I got up in the morning there was a loud noise. That idiot 
Kâzim, wanting to act big, used some vulgar words to assert himself 
but he was shut up with the appropriate firm response. After the list 
of names that was written and signed yesterday, the Command
secretary came and gave us each an advance of two rubles to last us 
until the beginning of the month. He said that this month salries will 
be given at the start of the month (based on the Rumi calendar). The 
tailor came and did a fitting. He’s cut it well. It’s Sunday again and the 
girls have come to stroll around in the park across from us.  Most of 
the fellows are watching them and when an opportunity arises they 
wave to pass the time. But I wasn’t partaking. Again I went to the 
other side and Şerif and I wrote a short story. We translated
it into French and then we had Osman correct it.

The Russian Newspaper is Writing

5 June 1916 Monday
The weather is nice but there’s a stifling heat, too. The mosquitoes 
are busy so we can’t take off our jackets. After morning tea I went 
to see Şerif. We began to write a book in Turkish, Russian and French 
for learning Russian. I wrote a bit and in fact I kept on writing
all night at the table in my room. But I didn’t even finish half of it. I 
went to sleep late, lying down a little before sunrise. Today there were 
a lot of log transport rafts that are each made up of at least seven or 
eight smaller rafts. On each of the rafts there are more than 2,000
trees. News: the Russians have pulled back to Azep, which they 
consider  their  original line. The Russian newspaper is writing 
?approvingly? about this and the Turks’ attacks.

6 June 1916 Tuesday
In the morning I wrote some more in the Russian book and after 
drinking my tea I went with the book to Şerif. After sitting a while I 
returned. After lunch I went to the bath with Tahir, Mehmet Ağa and 
Erzurumlu Hasan. There is an oven and a stove in a little room here. 
The inside is dirty and muddy, a so-called bath. As soon as I put some 
soap on myself  I got out. After the bath I again went to the other side 
and started to talk with Kör Mehmet  about the needs of our country. 
Şerif stated the aim and the path to be followed, saying that he would
do things to raise up the fatherland and convince the people.  He said 
he would enjoy doing such things. I have complete confidence in him 
because I trust both his actions and his behavior. May God protect 
good-hearted people like him. 

In the evening Osman proposed a conference so that we could set up 
a committee among ourselves and this was accepted. This committee 
will intervene in and resolve all kinds of issues in the house and settle 
any incidents that may arise among us. Everyone will submit to the 
committee’s decision. Any kind of problem among us will be within 
the purview of this committee. Very nice idea. Osman was chosen as
the chief, his assistant (acting 'ustarşi' for the house) will be Captain 
Hamid and the committee members are the secretary (Şakır) 
Selahaddin and Kâzim.

//END of PART XXIX//

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder