6 Haziran 2019 Perşembe

TNT / Diary: A Turkish POW in Russian Prison Camp (1915-1918)/Part LXXI

//Ed. Note: Fuad Bey has taken charge of his house's
bread account but infighting among the inmates has
made his job that much more difficult.  Meanwhile,
the Austrian servants are being sent to Siberia.//
//

baking bread russia 1917 ile ilgili görsel sonucu


7 March 1917 Wednesday
The weather is neither completely clear or cloudy. The sun sometimes 
graces us with its warmth. The sky can’t been seen because of some 
fog and clouds. The cold has suddenly gone away. We went for a walk 
and looked at the big river barges being built on the riverbank. These 
are really quite large.  A note was sent to Major Mehmet Bey in the 
morning in regard to solving the bread problem. A decision was made 
to combine bread with table d’hote and for me to supervise this so I 
took the bread accounts.  Right away I made an estimate. I weighed 
what we have (10 pud) and calculated the expenses. There was a 
shortfall of 140 funts, which amounts to 21 rubles. The lowdown 
fellows were resisting and insisting on the bread problems before. 
The shameless jerks were saying ‘we’ll make the flour’. Who knows 
what tricks they’ve been up to. In any event, time shows a person in
a truer light. The bread was cooked and we distributed it at a fee that 
everyone could afford. We bought a teapot and a bottle of milk at the 
market. We studied German a bit at night, chatted and went to bed.

8 March 1917 Thursday
The weather  feels like summertime. The sun is out in full and the 
clouds have gone back to where they were at dawn. The little birds 
are singing. One can’t feel the cold at all. If there wasn’t snow outside 
a person would think it was summer. Two Tercüman newspapers came. 
Supposedly the English will blockade the German coast this time. 
Tercüman says there’s no chance of this happening.  The Russians 
are celebrating the fall of Erzurum in Tblisi with a party. The Turks
have taken to Istanbul the cannons the Russians left at Plevne as a 
reminder of their saving the Bulgarians from the Turkish yoke. 
Today passed idley. I really don’t know why. For the past two 
weeks I’ve had a terrible sense of bewilderment. Even though I’ve 
wanted to study and keep busy I haven’t had the wherewithall, as if 
I’m not understanding things properly. Sometimes I prefer to 
daydream or lie down. I don’t  have a concrete thought. I really don’t 
know what’s happened to me. If captivity goes on any longer we’ll 
probably go crazy. According to rumors, all the servants in the 
houses will be sent to Siberia. At night I explained some of my 
old problems to Halis. A bit afterwards, rather late, I went
to bed. Tonight I had nightmares once or twice.

9 March 1917 Friday
The beautiful weather we had yesterday is with us again today. 
News (Tercüman): the Allied Powers want all the governments in 
the world to join them with the goal of attaining the main aims they
haven’t been able to secure themselves. The Russian newspapers 
write that an okka (2.8 lbs.) of oil in Turkey (Izmir) is now 40 kuruş 
and that’s why there’s hunger  (in Russia). Tercüman is supporting
this and writes that right now in most cities of Russia a funt is 
selling for this amount and Turkey’s oil is quite a bit cheaper. When 
I got up this morning I didn’t feel any pain in my body, my mind and
my brain were healthy and happy. But this didn’t last long. I started 
to feel a haziness in my brain and the sign of an aching in my body. 
After lunch I lay down to rest and slept until evening. When I got up I
felt much better. I came up with two reasons for the way I’ve been 
feeling over the past few weeks but it may be neither of them. One is 
the irritation that comes from thinking too much and the other
is too much consumption. I’m guessing that I’m under the influence 
of the first one, in particular.  Right now I don’t feel very self-assured. 
Ah, these are the bitter poisons that captivity gives…three more of the 
servants were shipped out in the morning. Dursun and the German 
soldier Fritz remained here. Four Austrian servants came in their place 
toward evening. 

10 March 1917 Saturday
The good weather is gone. The sky is completely overcast. There’s 
quite a storm raging. And snow,too. News: (Tercüman) the English 
have advanced in Mesopotamia, 100 miles from Bagdad. The prisoners
in Turkey are being very well cared for. A Russian newspaper has 
published the account of a Russian who escaped from Turkey. The 
railroad has been extended from Ankara to Yozgat and from Ereğli to
Kayseri.  Good paved highways go as far as Sivas. Strong 
reinforcements are being built around Sivas – 20 lines of hunter 
trenches and six lines of barbedwire obstacles, along with many 
cannon positions. If the Russians attack in the Spring it will be 
defended. I felt hazy again today, but not as bad as yesterday. Time
 is passing with nothing to do. I’m not working on German…I don’t 
know why. Wechatted and went to bed.

//END of PART LXXI//

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder