10 Haziran 2019 Pazartesi

TNT Matchbox Diary: A Turkish POW in Russian Prison Camp (1915-1918)/Part LXXII

//Ed. Note: Problems with the servants (!) continue for 
Fuad Bey.  In addition, he's in a reflective mood as the
Turkish year comes to an end.//


m fuad tokad ile ilgili görsel sonucu

11 March 1917 Sunday
The lousy weather continued today. Quite a lot of snow here, too. The 
cold has returned, as well. My haziness hasn’t passed yet and it came 
back in the afternoon, forcing me to lie down until evening. I busied 
myself with writing today. I made a map and looked at my old diary. 
Unfortunately, I couldn’t learn any German. The new servants don’t 
like their duty here and want to go to the Kazarma (main barracks). 
They’re saying ‘we won’t bring water and we won’t stay here for a
measly three rubles per month.’ According to rumors, they too will 
change tomorrow. New Turkish prisoners have come to the Kazarma 
and some of them will be brought here. Good…we’re fed up with this 
change of servants. After our lesson we chatted and went to bed.

12 March 1917 Monday
Ah, today was an unforgettable on for me, a day that left bitter memories
 in my heart. Two years ago, at the moment  I rushed with great 
enthusiasm to the border  to lift the exalted hand of the Turks, all
my hopes were dashed and I was crushed amidst storms of deep grief 
faced with the torments of tyrannical cruelty. Yes, this cruelty and this 
and insult won’t be erased from my heart but I won’t wilt under its effect. 
I’ll probably shine even brighter. This cruelty is not well-intentioned. 
It’s just an example of inhumanity and vileness. This cruelty was 
probably going to defeat me unjustly but my death would mean that 
this nation, this country, had lost another child for nothing and would 
have been deprived of the great service to it that I would have provided 
with great and stalwart determination. Only the loss would have been left 
to condemn because I’ve at least partially rectified my shortcomings  
with the lessons I’ve learned from captivity. In any event, I’m determined 
to accomplish great things for my nation and country. This last cruelty 
has not stopped me from this. Perhaps in this regard my desire will be 
strengthened with the rectification of all my shortcomings. I’ll live, I’ll
work and I’ll shame the tyrants who have seen fit to put me in this 
cruelty. I will make myself known. Perhaps, suitably enough, there will 
be spiritual revenge like I want and that I’ll have a happy life…

The weather is bad. It snowed a bit. It’s not all that cold though. News 
(Tercüman): the Duma wants clear legitimacy from the government. Our 
forces are in retreat in Mesopotamia. I went to see Şerif after lunch and 
we sat together for an hour and a half. We chatted. Again this was 
without purpose.

13 March 1917 Tuesday
So today is the Turkish world’s last day of the year. But I wonder what 
the year end has prepared for tomorrow? More sorrow, more calamitous 
ruins? Or a good, clean future? I don’t know…will Turkey and 
Turkishness again be buried in deep deprivations or rise amidst bright 
possibilities? Who knows what’s been hidden away for this tomorrow! 
Right now there’s a deep unknown. May God grant that poor Turkey, 
which has spewed despair and hatred in the face of the vileness of
Westerners for years, in fact centuries, shine in all its splendor and that 
its honor rise so that the Turkish world can be saved from the tyranny
and oppression of the Westerners and live alone and happily. Ah, ah, 
God, show us today that we’ll be able to assuage all the damage and 
hurt…

The weather has again turned nice. The sun is warming. During the day 
Halis got mad while we were playing a game and I felt badly about it.
But it was wrong for me to think that I was the cause of this. So I felt 
that our friendship would let me console him through conversation and 
I suggested to Halis that he not get upset about this. But he was looking 
at things differently and was embarrassed. He said that he was in the 
wrong and he hoped that things like this could be erased. He apologized. 
These are the kinds of things that result from the tension that captivity 
breeds. (the real problem: we were playing chess and I was winning. 
Then I made a little joke that angered him. He shut the chess board and 
threw all the pieces at me wildly…). Haydar Bey was very taken
by something I wrote on a sooty plate. This struck me as ‘if there 
weren’t any ignorant people no one would know the wise man’s worth.’ 
At night I told Halis a part of my first calamity. Today two Turkish 
servants came. 

//END of PART LXXII//

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder